• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New striker ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ July 06 2006,18:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 06 2006,16:45)]If there is any truth in the Boothroyd signing this could be the most awesome signing in Southend's history.
Steady on - Marsh, Ricketts and Goater were higher profile than Bothroyd.
What about Stan the Man? Although we were a stepping-stone in his career, there was no doubt he would make it at the top level.

Bothroyd wouldn't be that big a signing, I don't think. Its not like there are many clubs tripping over themselves to sign him. Ricketts was a bigger signing in my opinion.

I can't believe theres any chance of us signing Akinbiyi.

Ade Akinbiyi signing!?
biggrin.gif

And the money for him would come from where?

Gave me a chuckle anyway.

No way at all we would ever be able to sign Akinbiyi!

I still think that we will be in for Agogo, also hasnt all of the Hayter stuff gone very quiet?

If however we were to sign Bothroyd I think he has quality but has failed to deliver over the last few seasons. Would be a big signing, but he hasnt got the best track record in terms of his discipline. Would we be able to afford his wages and Tilly risk our close team spirit?

Sheff Utd only just signed Akinbyi for about 750k last season for christ sake! Ridiculous!

The Bothroyd story makes more sense. Seems a bit of a bad boy though. I remember some defender getting a little too close to him on the byline so he booted him one! A Noj defender if I remember rightly?!

[b said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ July 06 2006,16:45)]If there is any truth in the Boothroyd signing this could be the most awesome signing in Southend's history.
Higher profile maybe, but not with (potentially) as much talent. I include Stan in this as when we signed him he had only played a handful of games at the top level, and was completely unproven. From time to time at a higher level Bothroyd has proved he has got it.

i cant say ive heard anything on it, wouldnt mind it, and it would make ricketts work for his place, having to players that play the same style of game, tilly wouldnt include both of them unless forced to through injuries and bans.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scrounger700 @ July 06 2006,18:22)]
[b said:
[b said:
What about Stan the Man? Although we were a stepping-stone in his career, there was no doubt he would make it at the top level.
No I'm talking about players being high-profile WHEN they sign for us not after - yes I'd heard of Stanley when he signed but I knew nothing about him really, many supporters hadn't even heard of him!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StreakyShrimper @ July 07 2006,13:10)]Surely Ronnie Whelan was the highest "profile player" at Roots Hall.
I'm going back a few years, but wasn't David Jack a higher-profile player than Whelan?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (StreakyShrimper @ July 07 2006,13:10)]Surely Ronnie Whelan was the highest "profile player" at Roots Hall.
Probably profile wise, but for the time of his career that we brought him, his reputation, the club we brought him from and the massive transfer fee (£500,000) - surely Mike Marsh is the biggest incoming transfer we ever concluded?

David Jack only played the one game for us but he counts. Wasn't he the "superstar" player of his day -

David Bone Nightingale Jack (April 3, 1899 - September 10, 1958) was an English footballer, son of Bob Jack, and the first footballer in the world to be transferred for more than £10,000.

An inside forward, born in Bolton, Jack started his career at his father's club, Plymouth Argyle in 1919, scoring 11 goals in 48 appearances. In 1920 he returned to the town of his birth, moving to Bolton Wanderers for £3,500. He spent eight seasons with the Trotters, forming a formidable partnership with Joe Smith. While at Bolton, he made history by being the first person to score a goal at Wembley Stadium, in the 1923 FA Cup final. A year later, he won his first England cap, the first of nine; he scored three times for his country.

He won the Cup again with Bolton in 1926. In 1928 he was signed by Herbert Chapman's Arsenal for £10,890 (nearly double the previous record); famously, Chapman negotiated the transfer with Bolton's representatives in a hotel bar, his tactic being to drink gin and tonics without any gin in them, while letting the other side drink as much as they possibly could.

Jack was a success at Highbury, becoming a regular straight away, and was the club's top scorer through the late 1920s and early 1930s. He won three League Championship titles and another FA Cup winners medal. By 1933-34 he was reaching the end of his career, and retired after winning his third league medal, in 1934. In all he scored 124 times in 208 matches for Arsenal, making him the ninth-best goalscorer in the club's history.

After retiring from playing, he went on to become manager of Southend United from May 1934 to August 1940, and then Middlesbrough from November 1944 to April 1952. He died in 1958 aged 59.

[b said:
I recken it was Jimmy McAlinden... bit b4 my time though

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TITSUP @ July 07 2006,13:19)]David Jack only played the one game for us but he counts. Wasn't he the "superstar" player of his day -

David Bone Nightingale Jack (April 3, 1899 - September 10, 1958) was an English footballer, son of Bob Jack, and the first footballer in the world to be transferred for more than £10,000.

An inside forward, born in Bolton, Jack started his career at his father's club, Plymouth Argyle in 1919, scoring 11 goals in 48 appearances. In 1920 he returned to the town of his birth, moving to Bolton Wanderers for £3,500. He spent eight seasons with the Trotters, forming a formidable partnership with Joe Smith. While at Bolton, he made history by being the first person to score a goal at Wembley Stadium, in the 1923 FA Cup final. A year later, he won his first England cap, the first of nine; he scored three times for his country.

He won the Cup again with Bolton in 1926. In 1928 he was signed by Herbert Chapman's Arsenal for £10,890 (nearly double the previous record); famously, Chapman negotiated the transfer with Bolton's representatives in a hotel bar, his tactic being to drink gin and tonics without any gin in them, while letting the other side drink as much as they possibly could.

Jack was a success at Highbury, becoming a regular straight away, and was the club's top scorer through the late 1920s and early 1930s. He won three League Championship titles and another FA Cup winners medal. By 1933-34 he was reaching the end of his career, and retired after winning his third league medal, in 1934. In all he scored 124 times in 208 matches for Arsenal, making him the ninth-best goalscorer in the club's history.

After retiring from playing, he went on to become manager of Southend United from May 1934 to August 1940, and then Middlesbrough from November 1944 to April 1952. He died in 1958 aged 59.
I believe there's a plaque on his childhood home in Hamlet Court Road
biggrin.gif

You not thinking of Scott Sinclair of Chelsea are you....

Young Black Striker ....Decent player from the one game I saw him in.  
rock.gif

Sinclair would be a quality signing, started at Bristol Rovers I remember watching him, so quick, and would make sense as Tilly was saying he hoped to sign some young Prem players from reserve squads not so long ago

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ July 07 2006,14:32)]You not thinking of Scott Sinclair of Chelsea are you....

Young Black Striker ....Decent player from the one game I saw him in.  
rock.gif
Thats probably more likely actually. That rumours been around for a while IIRC. Don't know much about the kid, but if Chelski snapped him up, he can't be that bad.

Guess he'll struggle to cope with Shevchenko, Crespo, Drogba and Kalou next season though!

Akinbiyi - you're having a laugh!
laugh.gif

Bothroyd - swings and roundabouts. One the plus side he knocked us out of the FA Cup last season. On the minus side, he's sh!t.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ July 07 2006,13:14)]
[b said:
Probably profile wise, but for the time of his career that we brought him, his reputation, the club we brought him from and the massive transfer fee (£500,000) - surely Mike Marsh is the biggest incoming transfer we ever concluded?
Agreed.

Back