• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New University Building

What do you think of the new Uni building?

• It's Brilliant, to rival the Guggenheim!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
This was in the Echo the other day, any thoughts...

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/loc...ry_and_putting_up_eyesores_like_this/?ref=rss

While the guy has some good points about conserving the victorian buildings in Southend, picking on the new student accomodation seems like picking on new architecture for the sake of it, ie new is bad, old is good.

Well if we had that attitude nothing would ever get built, even the victorian buildings were new once.

Now I don't mind the new accomodation block (also, only the old college building was knocked down to build it.), it's not the best or most cutting edge architecture but there's certainly been worse (hello Victoria Plaza, The Royals, New Odeon and the old 60's towerblocks etc), and I don't mind the new College/University buildings either.

I think they add to the diversity of architecture of the town, do we want a timewarp town stuck in the victorian age, with some bland modern buildings or one that shows ever evolving character. Some of the best parts of London are where old meets new. So yes, preserve the good old buildings, but don't stop trying to put up new architecture.

Here is the building in question...

I'd rather see something like that than the 'faux red-brick' buildings that go up everywhere (including those ones you've mentioned). It's definitely not the best 'contemporary' student building I've seen. But many Southend residents seem to hark back to the glory days of victorian southend, when in the end they need to take their rose-tinted (I'm starting to hate that phrase) glasses off and look at what's happening to the town... it's dying on it's arse.

Any opinions on the author of this piece - Jim Worsdale?

Runaround now!

G-G-G-G-G-G-Go!

Watch your mouth son or I'll be down there to give you a dry slap.

i suppose it looks ok, as its very fashionable now i guess, but will look a but silly in 20 years time!

It looks like the 60's/70's towerblocks that everywhere else is tearing down, not building.....

I think the Council are opting for architecture which willl attract those Eastern Europeans who defected INTO East Germany, possibly because the council believes they work harder and cause less trouble.

Last edited:
I can't believe i'm the only one to date to vote that its terrible

Is a ****ing hideous monstrosity, if it were a bird it'd be up Seymours at 2am on a Saturday night looking for a shag

The building will look old and dated within 5 years, but my attention was more taken by this sentence:

MY cousin Albert, a skilled mechanic who ran an old-fashioned garage and filling station in a rural stretch of Essex for many years, reckons man has become far too clever and technology will be the downfall of future generations.

Surely a far more interesting feature would be an interview with this modern nostradamus. The Echo needs to contain more views of such characters and maybe a bit more about lizard people.

They've missed a trick here:

(Sorry but my knowledge of Nazi culture isn't that good)

Y3BQW_11_E48_AU_STUDENT_BUI_v01.jpg

What a site as you venture into town...

Back