• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Auger the 24? For the second goal, came off the post, then lost where he should have been. Had he stuck to the post, the ball wouldn't have gone in. No idea why Bentley missed the ball, looks proper dodgy on the highlights

Third goal was the worst of the lot, no defence whatsoever

First game of the season - thought we were doing quite well in first 15 minutes - then crap.

Bentley 6 - at fault for first goal but made up for it with some great saves in the second half
Augar 5 - looked a bit out of his depth - is he the new Johnny Herd ?
Coker 5 -great goal but given the run around by their right winger
Keirnan 5 - some poor defending
Prosser 4 - rhymes with .......
Atkinson 6 - worked hard though not much result
Clifford 5 - didn`t notice him much
Leonard 7 - worked hard to try and get things going MOM
Hurst 6 - not the guy I have admired previously
Corr 6 - lack of pace told against their athletic centre backs
Woodrow 6 - ran his heart out for lost causes

Subs

Payne 6 - ran around a lot
Timlin 5 - saw him come on to the pitch
Reid 5 - ditto

SUFC support 10

Ok, Kiernan played in a different position to where I'd seen him previously. Presumably that is because his right is better than Prosser's. That left Auger horribly exposed, and he should have had better protection from midfield in the first half. Coker got skinned time and time again, again, to me that was down to midfield not helping out defensively.

Timlin has to come back in next game, we massively missed his influence. Out of our midfield, only Leonard performed. All the other three were poor, and I'd have both Timlin and Payne in next game.

Corr just isn't cutting it for me. Yes, Cauley should've put a couple away, but Corr is the senior player and needs to do far more than he has in the last 3 games. Bentley's mistake for the 1st. Smith would be hung out to dry if that had been him.

All 5s, except Leonard, 7.

Ok, Kiernan played in a different position to where I'd seen him previously. Presumably that is because his right is better than Prosser's. That left Auger horribly exposed, and he should have had better protection from midfield in the first half. Coker got skinned time and time again, again, to me that was down to midfield not helping out defensively.

Timlin has to come back in next game, we massively missed his influence. Out of our midfield, only Leonard performed. All the other three were poor, and I'd have both Timlin and Payne in next game.

Corr just isn't cutting it for me. Yes, Cauley should've put a couple away, but Corr is the senior player and needs to do far more than he has in the last 3 games. Bentley's mistake for the 1st. Smith would be hung out to dry if that had been him.

All 5s, except Leonard, 7.

Did you miss Fleetwood?

Did you miss Fleetwood?

No I didn't. Corr played better than Cresswell that day over all, doesn't mean he played brilliantly. This is what I said in my match report on here following that game:

OldBlueLady said:
Although I didn't actually think Corr did much in the 1st half, he become more dominant against Cressy as the match went on so I give him huge credit for that, but he wasn't MOM for me.

Corr - 7, missed two absolute sitters so I can't mark him higher. Fred would be getting vilified if he'd missed those two

He only got MOTM because of the two goals. Our midfield duo, Leonard and Clifford plus the defensive Kiernan and Coker were our best players that game but because some people think Corr is some kind of legend, he was the one that received the plaudits. I know others have agreed with me, in fact, I had discussions with a couple of people Saturday about that.

The Barry Corr we have now is not the Barry Corr of a couple of seasons ago.

No I didn't. Corr played better than Cresswell that day over all, doesn't mean he played brilliantly. This is what I said in my match report on here following that game:

He only got MOTM because of the two goals. Our midfield duo, Leonard and Clifford plus the defensive Kiernan and Coker were our best players that game but because some people think Corr is some kind of legend, he was the one that received the plaudits. I know others have agreed with me, in fact, I had discussions with a couple of people Saturday about that.

The Barry Corr we have now is not the Barry Corr of a couple of seasons ago.

:facepalm:

Goalkeepers very rarely function fully until they have masses of experience i.e. are approaching 30 or more-just look at the truly exceptional Joe Hart just now.We have a capable EXPERIENCED keeper,to whom I hear we are paying sizeable wages,wasting his time on the bench.
20-year-old Bentley shows distinct promise but in the last 2 games has gifted the opposition the all-important 1st goal.His dealing with crosses into the 6-yard box is also at this stage very poor,though 1,000 times better than a certain Mr. Flahavan.I would like to see Bentley given a further run of games at the end of the season if there's nothing left to play for.My only problem there would be if he found himself playing behind Prosser -no keeper playing above Conference South level should have to do that.

Sorry I don't agree about Timlin, his passing is awful, so there is no way I would drop either Atkinson or Hurst for him, therefore if there is only one space available, then Payne should be given it ahead of Timlin

Sorry I don't agree about Timlin, his passing is awful, so there is no way I would drop either Atkinson or Hurst for him, therefore if there is only one space available, then Payne should be given it ahead of Timlin

We miss Timlin's tenacity and endeavour. I admit he's not been up to scratch in some of what we've seen, but on his day, he's the architect in the middle that runs the show, and we've not had that since he's been out. Lack of match time is costing us, we need to start playing him to get him fully match aware and match fit.

Goalkeepers very rarely function fully until they have masses of experience i.e. are approaching 30 or more-just look at the truly exceptional Joe Hart just now.We have a capable EXPERIENCED keeper,to whom I hear we are paying sizeable wages,wasting his time on the bench.
20-year-old Bentley shows distinct promise but in the last 2 games has gifted the opposition the all-important 1st goal.His dealing with crosses into the 6-yard box is also at this stage very poor,though 1,000 times better than a certain Mr. Flahavan.I would like to see Bentley given a further run of games at the end of the season if there's nothing left to play for.My only problem there would be if he found himself playing behind Prosser -no keeper playing above Conference South level should have to do that.

Did you see the Dagenham game ?

If you have issues with Bentley and crosses do you not think Smith has the same.

Bentley is at least gaining experience and will be learning all the time, I dont see the point in reverting to Smith now.

As for whats been said by others it is funny, although not at all surprising, that Bentley gets given such an easy ride when Smith's penalty saves used to get criticised. Its a funny old game.

If Smith had gifted them the all important first as Bentley did then he'd have been lambasted as always. Struggling to see the worth of Mr Flash in goal....crap on crosses and does a spectacular dive after the ball is already in the net. Rush of blood is also costing us but then again he is destined to play for England.

Totally agree.

We should stick with him as he will develop but those people who slaughtered Smith after every game who now stay quiet should be pretty sheepish.

Smith IMO is a decent keeper at this level yet needs the supporters to support him!,His confidence must be low thanks to the boo boys.Bentley has plenty of time to become very good yet his command of his area lacks the necessary nous.

Smith IMO is a decent keeper at this level yet needs the supporters to support him!,His confidence must be low thanks to the boo boys.Bentley has plenty of time to become very good yet his command of his area lacks the necessary nous.

And Smith's doesnt?!

Smith commands his area better than Bentley IMO probably down to being more experienced and after all they are both league two standard not top quality.

No he really doesnt, he is renowned for staying on his line and causing uncertainty for the back four for not coming for things.

Bentley has his faults and has made some big mistakes, including coming for balls he actually shouldnt have.

Whether Smith would be a better option is debatable but if he is its not because he is commanding his area as thats a massive weakness in his game.

First Away Game this season and was expecting a defeat to be honest, basically because our record against these teams that come up from Conference in recent years has been quite poor.
I was disappointed with a few things saturday, Brown's Tactics/Individual performances and the lack of atmosphere from our support.

We seemed to start lively and looked the better side, we opened them up a couple of times quite easily early on. Woodrow missing that early chance could have been a game changer 1-0 up after less than 10 mins who knows how they'd react as we know at home crowd normally doesnt support as vocally if 1-0 down.

Brown's tactics i dont think worked saturday i know he likes this formation he has been playing but i lost count of the amount of times Coker got the ball at left back and had no one infront of him to give it to. Surely if we're going to have Hurst on the right we need a Left sided midfielder i think i would have gone with Timlin infront of Woodrow away from home and played 5 across the middle, Hurst being right side and Atkinson on Left. This would have stopped Newport's two best players on the day the left and right wing back's going forward at every opportunity! Certainly didnt help our Auger who seemed to have alot of action towards him in first half!

Prosser really is starting to irritate me, basically because he isnt good enough to be a League footballer, Conference standard at best. Got skinned time after time and backed off too many times against there striker washington! When he actually gets time on ball he hasnt got a clue what to do so he just pumps it. Clifford, Hurst, Atkinson need balls to there feet to involve them in the game. Felt sorry for Kiernan as he was doing two people's work

The atmosphere from our fans was disappointing probably because we were split in two ends and the TBV decided to go into an open end which we all know doesnt hold any noise!! Surely would have better being under cover to get the crowd going!

First Away Game this season and was expecting a defeat to be honest, basically because our record against these teams that come up from Conference in recent years has been quite poor.
I was disappointed with a few things saturday, Brown's Tactics/Individual performances and the lack of atmosphere from our support.

We seemed to start lively and looked the better side, we opened them up a couple of times quite easily early on. Woodrow missing that early chance could have been a game changer 1-0 up after less than 10 mins who knows how they'd react as we know at home crowd normally doesnt support as vocally if 1-0 down.

Brown's tactics i dont think worked saturday i know he likes this formation he has been playing but i lost count of the amount of times Coker got the ball at left back and had no one infront of him to give it to. Surely if we're going to have Hurst on the right we need a Left sided midfielder i think i would have gone with Timlin infront of Woodrow away from home and played 5 across the middle, Hurst being right side and Atkinson on Left. This would have stopped Newport's two best players on the day the left and right wing back's going forward at every opportunity! Certainly didnt help our Auger who seemed to have alot of action towards him in first half!

Prosser really is starting to irritate me, basically because he isnt good enough to be a League footballer, Conference standard at best. Got skinned time after time and backed off too many times against there striker washington! When he actually gets time on ball he hasnt got a clue what to do so he just pumps it. Clifford, Hurst, Atkinson need balls to there feet to involve them in the game. Felt sorry for Kiernan as he was doing two people's work

The atmosphere from our fans was disappointing probably because we were split in two ends and the TBV decided to go into an open end which we all know doesnt hold any noise!! Surely would have better being under cover to get the crowd going!

Cheerful fellow aren't you

Back