• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'd say the opposite, in midfield.

A playmaker who links the play up well, in the mould of a Chris Maguire.

Definitely get Walton in on loan, plus a left-back, as cover.

Otherwise, I think we're fine. Don't need a load of fill-in players.

Spend the budget on three or four quality signings.

Top priority is to sign up the curent players and keep them.

then, in terms of new players:
Big centre half - basically Innis without the constant menace. He himself might do if he keeps calm.
Any chance of Matzuzaka developing? Would be useful if so

Left back. We need cover for Coker, but maybe we also need someone to push him on. Ideally that young Kyprianiou would kick on and do this job.

Right back maybe. John White is probably not the man any more. Demetriou is good going forward but not the best as a proper right back i.e. in terms of defending.

Right midfield - need similar work rate to Atkinson but with more quality. Brown may want to only play with one genuine winger but still need more quality wide right.

creative midfielder - hopefully Jack Bridge can do this job, but failing that someone to pick a pass. Hard to find coz Wordsworth and Leonard are our midfield axis and set in stone if both available.

winger maybe. If we sign a wide right then Glash and McLaughlin are the other options. that might be enough.

What's cost us this season is our depth outside of the First XI we can all name (bar the keeper probably). that's both at the start of the season when the XI wasn't assembled and at the end when we had to bring in cover players or force the walking wounded on to the pitch.
But, Brown can make more intelligence use of the players at his disposal with changes and subs. he needs to start doing that.

1 quality goal keeper (would be happy to have Walton on a season loan)

Out go:-
Hines
Nouble
Mooney
O'Neill
Innis (too injury prone)
Amos (will go back to Spurs)
Williams (already gone)

No way would we afford Walton long term, his wages are almost double that of the current highest paid player in the side.

I think we can all pretty much expect those named to leave. I feel sorry for Luke O'Neill and David Mooney, both have tried hard when called upon - poor old Moons was rarely given the kind of support our current first choice strikers have - and I thought O'Neill had a decent enough game yesterday.

We shouldn't need another GK, we have two good ones, and Josh Bexon is improving too. I'd like him loaned out at the start of next season so we don't get the situation we had with Ted.

I understand John White is, or has signed a new contract so we have that cover defensively. I guess what else we do depends on Anton, and whether he signs a new contract. I'm not sure we need much in. I would say we need a left sided defender, one who can play left back or left centre back. Also we may need a midfielder as I don't know if I've heard about Will, who I think is also out of contract.

We have a decent length break between the end of the season and the start of pre-season, I think a good pre-season will benefit some players massively on their fitness this year. Woody is expected to be out for 10 weeks after his op, which should tie in quite well with the break, but then he'll need to get fitness back.

Top priority is to sign up the curent players and keep them.

then, in terms of new players:
Big centre half - basically Innis without the constant menace. He himself might do if he keeps calm.
Any chance of Matzuzaka developing? Would be useful if so

Left back. We need cover for Coker, but maybe we also need someone to push him on. Ideally that young Kyprianiou would kick on and do this job.

Right back maybe. John White is probably not the man any more. Demetriou is good going forward but not the best as a proper right back i.e. in terms of defending.

Right midfield - need similar work rate to Atkinson but with more quality. Brown may want to only play with one genuine winger but still need more quality wide right.

creative midfielder - hopefully Jack Bridge can do this job, but failing that someone to pick a pass. Hard to find coz Wordsworth and Leonard are our midfield axis and set in stone if both available.

winger maybe. If we sign a wide right then Glash and McLaughlin are the other options. that might be enough.

What's cost us this season is our depth outside of the First XI we can all name (bar the keeper probably). that's both at the start of the season when the XI wasn't assembled and at the end when we had to bring in cover players or force the walking wounded on to the pitch.
But, Brown can make more intelligence use of the players at his disposal with changes and subs. he needs to start doing that.

This for me. Plus I'd like us to try to sign Walton. Brighton have been promoted to the premier so he's not going to get near their team. Oxley for me has been a disappointment overall - too injury prone and also doesn't inspire enough confidence.

I also think that as much as I like Wordsworth when he's on form, those days just weren't often enough for me and I'd like genuine competition (in Phil's eyes) for his place. Too often he's made the team when he's been seriously out of form for many games in a row and I really question whether he is the answer for a full season leading to automatic promotion to the Championship. He could be, but would he be? I'm not so sure.

This for me. Plus I'd like us to try to sign Walton. Brighton have been promoted to the premier so he's not going to get near their team. Oxley for me has been a disappointment overall - too injury prone and also doesn't inspire enough confidence.

I also think that as much as I like Wordsworth when he's on form, those days just weren't often enough for me and I'd like genuine competition (in Phil's eyes) for his place. Too often he's made the team when he's been seriously out of form for many games in a row and I really question whether he is the answer for a full season leading to automatic promotion to the Championship. He could be, but would he be? I'm not so sure.

Was Wordy carrying a knock though?....at league one level he is IMO the complete midfielder and scores plenty too,if we could get 40 leagues from him next season with decent form...then we could be top 6 depending if Nile also plays around 40 games.

Coxy has done well but he needs a partner to match his goals tally..Ranger could well be that man but his fitness is suspect.

Ox was ok whilst Ted isn't ready,possible another keeper required.

Ferdy has been very good but can his body take another full season?

We as a unit are not far short from being the real deal...2 additions required which are another Wordy type and a quick centre back....maybe a keeper too but thought Ox when fit was fine.

Two that we could go for in defence:
Nathan Thompson - Swindon central defender, can also play at right back. Their captain and best player but could leave with his contract up and team relegated?
Joe Walsh - Might be more difficult to get but his contract is up in the summer, MK Dons, scored against us a few weeks ago, usually plays central but can also cover at left-back.

George Francomb at Wimbledon's contract is up, a right midfielder who can cover at right back. Might be able to fill the Atkinson role?

Dorian Dervite's contract is also up this summer.

Suspect that a few who could be of interest might become available after the play-offs.

I like the idea of a creative little midfielder between attack and midfield. An alternative to Woody.

Being a manager is tough though, I like most of these players and you can see the bond that exists , but, we were the 7th best team for a reason, so to move onwards, PB has to make some tough and maybe unpopular decisions , which he has done before . Whilst I have enjoyed the season, for promotion, we have come up short. That must be replaced. Now, I'd like to think that our start will be better , we have Ranger and MAF on board and we know how Cox likes to play. Hopefully, a more year from anton, meaning a Thommo and Ferdinand back 2, BUT, if Anton feels he can no longer play to his highest ability, replace quickly, with a quick and smart CB. Get Thommo signed up as a must as well. Also, the GK must be resolved. You must go into a season KNOWING who your best keeper is, not Smith or Oxley, one or the other, or someone new !

We must improve on the players we needed during the horrific run of injuries and suspensions .. so if that means Atko and Timlin are those Subs and we bring in first teamers to replace them , do it.

I do believe however we will be able to attract known players . We've had a good season. We are looking up and we also have some excellent players already at the club. An important summer, but a positive one for me.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

That's right you lot, it's that wonderful time of year when we amount to 9628 pages of transfer rumours posted by twitter agents and your mates uncle in the pub who painted Kevin Mahers fence.

I think we will be busy this summer and hopefully we can add some quality to the side!

Who would you like to see realistically? Obviously it's to early to see who has been released so I guess it's all theoretical!

Matt Lockwood, Franck Moussa, Billy Knott, Ricky Holmes and Ray Parlour I reckon.

Think the problem with strengthening any side that's either promoted or just misses out , is kind of saying to some players "you've had a great season but we need someone better" , which is always tricky and sometimes harsh.
For instance , Thompson and Ferdinand have done really well , but we can't get through a season relying on those two to play 46 games.
But if we get a 'better' player to improve the side , they would presumably be bought to be in the first 11 , which means it's also very harsh to say to one of our centre backs "you're not starting the season in the side despite being one of the main reasons we improved last year".
Anyway , those problems are the managers and just hope we can get maybe 3 quality signings to push us on again.

Think the problem with strengthening any side that's either promoted or just misses out , is kind of saying to some players "you've had a great season but we need someone better" , which is always tricky and sometimes harsh.
For instance , Thompson and Ferdinand have done really well , but we can't get through a season relying on those two to play 46 games.
But if we get a 'better' player to improve the side , they would presumably be bought to be in the first 11 , which means it's also very harsh to say to one of our centre backs "you're not starting the season in the side despite being one of the main reasons we improved last year".
Anyway , those problems are the managers and just hope we can get maybe 3 quality signings to push us on again.

Very true, another centre back would know he would be likely to be sitting on the bench for much of the season. And also for another striker.
All waiting for injuries or suspension or a JPT Cup run.

Regarding Thompson and Ferdinand, both are out of contract with us.. sorting that should be our priority. As well as contracts for Coker, Timlin, McClaughlin, Leonard, Atkinson and Wordsworth.

I would think a goalkeeper, a winger, a striker and a centre half will be top of Brown't shopping list.

Not sure who else is out of contract but I'd be releasing O'Neill, Nouble, Mooney & Hines and offering White a year in addition to contracts for those above.

Don't forget, as a carrot, we'll have a new ground to talk about. Us being in during the 18/19 season and how that will help attract better players. :dim:

If we can keep the core of the side together wth a few decent additions I think we can push on to the next step.

Would like to see another central defender coming in, one who can slot in when Anton isn't available. I'd like to see a creative midfielder brought in as well, someone who can link the midfield and attack much like Jack Payne did which we've missed since he left.

Other than that I'd like to see the likes of Bridge, Cotton and Kyprianou more game time as squad players as well.

How about trying to sign Christian Walton on a season-long loan, presuming Brighton won't want to sell him? He'll be out of contract with Brighton in 2018 so we could try to sign him permanently then if he plays well enough next season.

How about trying to sign Christian Walton on a season-long loan, presuming Brighton won't want to sell him? He'll be out of contract with Brighton in 2018 so we could try to sign him permanently then if he plays well enough next season.

No! We simply can't afford him!

We could afford him on loan, though. See how it goes.

We might get £5million for Nile by then!

Dont know who to sign or release, just hope we do our business early to give the team time to gel, don't think we started to this season until to late.

Back