• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nile Ranger

Personally I will struggle to support a club with him in it, yes, I know that sounds dramatic and people will pounce on it - it's called having morals and a social conscience - something he had neither of before and I am more than sure he does not have now.

Rehabbing people through prison is putting people back into society, not the exact role he had before necessarily.

The thing I am finding really perplexing is people thinking he is any good, he was patchy at best before, he hasn't played for ages and we definitely don't have the time luxury of someone getting back up to match fitness but I also know that will be the excuse trotted out every time.

A month ago the conversation I would have thought I'd be able to see from both sides, now it's honestly laughable that we would be the executors of our own downfall, twice, with the same player.

It isn't a Nile Ranger or Goodship question, it's a Nile Ranger and the risk of team turmoil vs whoever else we can build or get in. Weirdly we are in a strong position in January now.

Maybe he's just won a competition to train with a professional side for the day......
I agree with what you said about his performances. I watched him many a time and and he seemed to be a 1 in 8 games playing well sort of player

Hopefully just training as his Spalding united side might not be able to play.

Hope we don't sign him.

He has left Spalding. For reasons I don't know they didn't offer him a contract but were impressed with work rate etc. Peterborough were looking at him, with a plan to sign him if he'd got games under his belt.

I know someone very closely connected at Spalding BTW.

Unfortunately I'm aware of quite a few of the internal issues he brings. Outside problems aside (and they are bad and you wouldn't want him for tbose) , he is the shining example of unprofessional and will only lead susceptible youngsters astray with his big I'm the man tales.
I'm shocked MM has allowed this after consulting and hearing of the issues.
we will reap what we sow.
yes we might get a quick win or two of he was signed but the repercussions are horrendous in our fragile state signed
I'll ask and maybe get more info on what's going on

Last edited:
He has left Spalding. For reasons I don't know they didn't offer him a contract but were impressed with work rate etc. Peterborough were looking at him, with a plan to sign him if he'd got games under his belt.

I know someone very closely connected at Spalding BTW.

Eddie?

This has been on the cards a while hasn't it. MM has I think also discussed with senior players about it prior (as I don't think they were prepared to move on it if all weren't on board).

Ron has a history a giving second chances- Hall, Timlin, Ranger et al. And I seem to remember an ex-armed robber became a fans favourite. Isn't Ricky Otto a man of the cloth now? Is Ranger all bad? i don't know.

But if MM and Ron are convinced he's worth the risk then they have my support. If he comes back, stays fit and buckles down we will stay up. Purely as a player there is absolutely zero chance of getting anyone else close to being as good as Ranger if at anywhere near his best. And we can hardly say we won't be going into this eyes wide open..

Strange how after the teaser on snapchat earlier showing a photo of a muddy boot he has now come out & stated in no uncertain terms he is not signing for us.
Wonder if he has had a peek at some of the comments on here??

So he is just using our club then ? Why on earth would we let him - what has he ever given us, except problems. Our last few results meant we were no longer the laughing stock of league football, we will soon be again .
Presumably MM doesn’t know NR from Adam so the permission could have come from the top, namely RM perhaps?

If you look through the prism of "football world" you can see the rational behind this if true. I saw him play several times for us, and when he was up for it, you could see the ability and experience shine through. I'd accept it if it was down to MM to make the decision, as it's his future that is on the line not NR. If he comes here on "thin ice" with no more chances, for no money or little money, on a monthly basis, then maybe it might be worth a "punt". The criminal past is unsavory, however, I remember several former players who have had a prison/criminal history and it's worked out well for us.
Rick Otto came to us as a convicted armed robber (would suggest that fairly up there in terms of a rap). Is now a man of the cloth.

I am sure that is the case but as manager MM should be making these decisions.
I think Ranger has kept in contact with Ron. I think Ron has said you need to convince the manager so I think I heard Ranger had been in contact with MM about giving him a chance. Of course MM will have discussed it with Ron, but also i believe he discussed it with senior players.

MM will make the decision. Just as he did with Macca. Yes the player or agent may contact Ron. Ron might say so and so has been in contact - this is the history. But in the end MM makes the decision. He got it right on Macca. Hopefully he will do so again.

Even if you look at this purely from a footballing perspective this would be a bad move, he has been without a club for three years! Why would any professional club consider a player who has been without a club for this length of time, even non league clubs have not taken a punt on him. The fact he has not been with a club during this three year period tells you everything you need to know.

I suspect this is expectation management. If he turns up to every session on time, shows good fitness, is head and shoulders above quality wise, shows the right attitude then I suspect this might change. Maybe that's what has been agreed and to see how he gets on with the squad and the feedback from the senior pros.

Otherwise really struggle to see why we would do this given the history.

Back