• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No more signings says Tilly!

Lincoln Shrimp

First XI⭐
Just been reading the Daily Star and within Saturday's match report it quotes Tilly as saying something like:

"I thought the boys were excellent and they gave me everything. There will be more more players coming in. I shall have to work with what I've got"

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

I have to say I'm very disappointed with that.....we still need a left winger as well as a striker with genuine pace to compliment the players we already have.

All very well but we really haven't got strength in depth in some spots, and a few injuries or suspensions and it's the old story of playing people out of position.

and more to the point two defenders who bugger off in less than a month. Unless we're thinking of extending these loans, or make them permenant (technically these wouldn't be new players as they're already here).

I'm sure he will be hoping for a loanee or two to bolster certain areas (whether that be White extended +1 or otherwise).

I'd be surprised if this was true. I'd put my mortgage on either Freedman or Barney getting injured before the month is up and Tilly delving into the loan market. I think the creativity we have been lacking can come from Sawyer in place of Macca. Quite happy with Grant on the right as that helps shore up that side when Franno gets forward, and also Moussa has made the left position his own. He can be the new Marky Gower, just needs to improve his delivery into the box.

It would indeed be a shame if no further players were brought into the squad. I agree with many about a number of the positives that came out of the Huddersfield game but am only too aware of the shortfalls too. When our first 11 is on the pitch it can be competitive, but an injury or suspension or loss of form means delving into the back-up players that are not good enough. Huddersfield showed us what quality in depth is all about. They were two nil down and it was the assistance of two substitutes that brought about the change. I have no confidence that when needed we have anyone in particualar to bring on as a match-changer. Also I feel we would have been out of sight with the score had we a player that can score goals. If Barnard had Walkers pace or Walker had barneys goal instincts then it would be different. Barney IMHO is a natural scorer that will never be top class because of being half a yard off quality in terms of pace. Walker will not be top class because he is half a yard off the pace of thinking.

If Barnard had Walkers pace or Walker had barneys goal instincts then it would be different.

Yes, but then neither of them would probably be playing for Southend if that was the case would they? Barnard I think would at least have been good enough at least for the CCC if he wasn't as injury prone!

It would indeed be a shame if no further players were brought into the squad. I agree with many about a number of the positives that came out of the Huddersfield game but am only too aware of the shortfalls too. When our first 11 is on the pitch it can be competitive, but an injury or suspension or loss of form means delving into the back-up players that are not good enough. Huddersfield showed us what quality in depth is all about. They were two nil down and it was the assistance of two substitutes that brought about the change. I have no confidence that when needed we have anyone in particualar to bring on as a match-changer. Also I feel we would have been out of sight with the score had we a player that can score goals. If Barnard had Walkers pace or Walker had barneys goal instincts then it would be different. Barney IMHO is a natural scorer that will never be top class because of being half a yard off quality in terms of pace. Walker will not be top class because he is half a yard off the pace of thinking.
Exactly what he said.
We need a few more players, even if it's just 1 or 2 to give us something to bring on if we need it. If we are heading into the last 10 minutes and drawing I don't see many players who could come off the bench and make an impact.

Not sure if Tilly really said this ,, as his continually repeated quotes of " we've only got a small squad" is far more used than "ran their socks off " or " yeah,no , like i say " these days... But imo Tilly is a brilliant manager WITH a smaller squad. The team spirit was spot on , everyone pulling together , no one sulking ( too much ). The shape of the squad was excellent , except i would have liked to see the full backs overlap far more + why oh why oh why do we always sit so deep when we are nervous ? If Barrett is still struggling tomorrow night i'd give Hello Moto his debut & Keep the dangerous Walker + Barnard partnership going....

Why do people still slag off Walker ? With improved confidence ( thats up to us fans ) he really can be better than Theo Robinson... for me he is one of the few exciting players that can take a defender apart with his skill .... + lets face it in our new solid, wing-less formation we need every bit of creative ability on the pitch we can get.

Tomorrow nights prediction : Cheltenham 1 Southend 3 ( Walker 2, Barnard)

COME ON SOUTHEND !!! :support:

That's not what he said in Saturday's programme! I'm inclined to believe that before I believe the Star........... ;)

anyone who has seen Tilly's interview on BP will know that is not what he said. Usual tabliod dross, just unusual for the Star to even acknowledge our existence

That's not what he said in Saturday's programme! I'm inclined to believe that before I believe the Star........... ;)

Andy,

For the benefit of those who didn't read Tilly's comments in the programme on Sat, could you expand upon what he said.

Cheers

That is good to hear because as I said earlier we still need 2 more signings.

I have to say I'm very disappointed with that.....we still need a left winger as well as a striker with genuine pace to compliment the players we already have.
Is Moussa not good enough for you? I think he is a good enough player on the wing, we dont need a left winger imo.

Is Moussa not good enough for you? I think he is a good enough player on the wing, we dont need a left winger imo.

Make no mistake....Moussa is a great talent and has obviously started the season in great form....but there will come a point in the season (even in specific games) when we will require something different from what he can offer.
For example to fully utilise Barnard's/ freedman's attributes, we need to get more crosses into the box than we currently do.

Back