• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Finally getting the recognition he rightly deserves. Been absolutely brilliant these last few seasons in non-league has Woodyard. Hopefully something comes of it for Alex.

Not sure if this has been posted, but an interesting article (not directly relevant to SUFC) by Danny Cowley and mentions Alex Woodyard...

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...erge-from-non-league-we-pick-out-six-to-watch

Pubey, thanks so much for putting this piece on our discussion forum. What a great article by Danny Cowley! I hope Ron Martin reads this article. The article demonstrates that Cowley, in footballing terms, is analytical, knowledgeable and clear-headed. In my humble opinion, Cowley is destined for much bigger things than the conference.

Pubey, thanks so much for putting this piece on our discussion forum. What a great article by Danny Cowley! I hope Ron Martin reads this article. The article demonstrates that Cowley, in footballing terms, is analytical, knowledgeable and clear-headed. In my humble opinion, Cowley is destined for much bigger things than the conference.

totally agree with you..... Southend United next manager?

He was so young when he was with us, wasn't given the chance to develop that's been offered to the likes of Payne, Bentley and definitely, Jason Williams. Good luck to him.

Interested to note Akinola mentioned in there too.

You honestly believe Cowley would want to take on Southend as manager, also why havent Sufc looked at any of those players he mentioned ,if they have obviously out of our price range.
:smile:

On the topic of Non League Potential.

Oliver Hawkins has got his season off to a great start with 10 goals in 11 games for Dagenham & Redbridge. He's nearly 6ft 4ins tall and still just 24 years old, he might be one to keep an eye on for the rest of the season.

On the topic of Non League Potential.

Oliver Hawkins has got his season off to a great start with 10 goals in 11 games for Dagenham & Redbridge. He's nearly 6ft 4ins tall and still just 24 years old, he might be one to keep an eye on for the rest of the season.

Not worth looking at under the current management 'team'.

Read in the Echo that Bowers & Pitsea striker Shomari Barnwell has been offered a training opportunity with Cambridge. I can't help but to wonder if we actually have any local scouts, as I seem to read more and more regularly about local lads moving onto other clubs instead of Southend.

Im amazed how most of these players that get mentioned on here who are playing non league are strikers ,arent there any apart from Woodyard who play in midfield or defence etc who have the potential to be good enough to play in the league, we have strikers good enough to play in div one its other positions i believe we need .

One to keep an eye on an Aussie lad called Elliot Ronto, at Witham Town but has been approached by Bishop Stortford. Has come to England to try to play as higher level as he can, capped by Australia at youth level and was playing in queensland state league. Has looked very good at Ryman level will be interesting to see how he does if he jumps to National league south. He has a lot of self belief! He thinks he will make it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjt6FOmGmtw

Ricky Miller of Dover Athletic is an interesting one,

scored a 1st half hatrick-v- Braintree, which is his 15 goals this season already. 27 years old, 6'2" - been around though, played for 18 (eighteen) different clubs, also scored 30 last season...

Also been in court for allegedly head butting a taxi driver (found not guilty) so would fit with our other rogues.

Ricky Miller of Dover Athletic is an interesting one,

scored a 1st half hatrick-v- Braintree, which is his 15 goals this season already. 27 years old, 6'2" - been around though, played for 18 (eighteen) different clubs, also scored 30 last season...

Also been in court for allegedly head butting a taxi driver (found not guilty) so would fit with our other rogues.

He bagged another hatrick today, (despite Dover being down to 10 men, and coming from 1-0 behind) bringing his tally to 19 so far in all competitions.
Might be worth keeping an eye on as the season progresses. He's only ever scored 1 league goal though in the professional leagues (for Luton Town at league 2 level during the 2014-15 season). So maybe he has found his benchmark in the national league.

Orient have massive non league potential.

You really don't want to go in there - just ask some of the other x league clubs who thought they would bounce straight back and still find themselves on the brink of extinction. I really fear for Orient if you become non league - to think you were a couple of minutes away from the championship not so very long ago, a strong lesson for us all.

You really don't want to go in there - just ask some of the other x league clubs who thought they would bounce straight back and still find themselves on the brink of extinction. I really fear for Orient if you become non league - to think you were a couple of minutes away from the championship not so very long ago, a strong lesson for us all.

Betting has been suspended on our relegation following Becchetti's latest asset-stripping head loss. Doubt there will even be a club to get relegated come May.

Good Spot!

Floval Flyer could be a really good scout for us!!

Ricky Miller seems to be still banging them in for fun this season & running away with the golden boot award, with a whopping 40 goals across all competitions so far (36 goals in the league alone!)....A very impressive return considering he's primarily a winger that can play either down his usual right flank as well as the left hand side.

I would be surprised if he doesn't achieve around 42 - 44 goals by the end of the season.

He got a brace on his first game back from serving a 2 match ban, as he does like to collect the odd card or two... well I say, the odd card... it currently stands at 11 yellows & a red so far this season).
Even Deegan would be jealous of that!! :smile:

Coincidentally, this weekends opponents Bristol Rovers put in a last minute transfer bid for him on the January deadline day as a replacement, after they sold their main striker Matty Taylor to their bitter rivals Bristol City! (the first player to do so & swap between the two rival bristol clubs since 1987!)...
Anyway back to Ricky Miller, they must be still keen on him, as they still currently have a 7 page thread about him joining them. Gillingham also showed in interest in him during the last transfer window.

He's out of contract with Dover at the end of the season, so it's certainly worth us taking a cheeky punt on him also, & he could easily be an ideal replacement for the like's of Nouble or Mooney, & especially Williams, Hines & Amos combined, all of which have their own contracts up at the end of this season, and have done very little so far this season for us.

Not that I'm claiming to know what the 5 players wages cost when they are all combined together, but i'm sure we could offer a tempting pay day for him, over what he's current wage is at non league Dover?... adding to the fact he seems to probably average around 65+ goals over 2 season's, I reckon he could get at least get 12-15 goals at a Division One level for us. (which is more than the above 3 players have racked up over the last two seasons combined).

He's born around this part of the world (Well hatfield, and seems to generally prefer to play around Anglia or the south east, rather than the west country).. but as always...money talks I guess... and history shows, we generally lose out to even similar sized clubs around us in the league.

I'm not saying that he will be one of those bargain basement signings, that turn into a true blue legend like Freddy Eastwood, but I do think he could be our next Brit Assombalonga or Barry Corr (with a hint of Bilel Moshni's card count!) :smile:

Update: Finished the season with 42 goals in 43 appearences. He is now out of contract, and its rumoured that Peterborough have snapped him up on a free transfer.

Last edited:
to me, if we signed a 27 year old who'd made double figures of goals 4 seasons ever from the Prem there would be outrage and stats and FACTs all over the place.

Get him from non-League and he's God-like.

Not saying Miller is or isn't crap, just how differently fans on hear look at strikers

Back