• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

North Bank Survey

How long have you been following the fortunes of the Shrimpers?

10 years

Did you ever frequent the North Bank?

Only a handful of times, maybe 7 or 8 when the schools gave away free tickets

Where do you normally sit now?

West Block W

Would you move back to the North Stand if the club made it possible for home fans to sit there?

Certainly

Give reasons for your above answer?

Because i love to sing and get behind the players at a game, which is the main reason why i find away games are so much better than home games.

Would you support another campaign for the return of home fans to the North Bank?

Yes - but a few issues need adressing, the main one is for current Season ticket holders like myself, if they did a trial game many STH's would have to sit in their normal stand, which would mean the support would be low. If the club were to make sure STH's could access the North Bank if there was a trial game then i'd be more than happy to throw my weight behind a campaign.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 28 2005,13:03)]
However, we have attracted a few wierdo's lately.

too right, what was up with Spike from Buffy on Saturday? and as for that Shagster character.....
biggrin.gif

anyways....

18 years

three times - vs Luton in 93, Birmingham in 94 and Tillys Testimonial last year. Not a bad 3 games to pick!

I *ahem* sit at the back of the East Blacks

Would you move back to the North Stand if the club made it possible for home fans to sit there?

hmmm, no.

Give reasons for your above answer?

If we were made to sit down it would kill the atmosphere straight away. For the fans to get really vocal I think it requires us to be standing. Not only that but the view in the North Bank isn't great standing up, sitting down is about 10x worse! The simple reality is that in this post Taylor report era standing up just ain't gonna happen
sad.gif

Would you support another campaign for the return of home fans to the North Bank?

no point, the last one died on it's arse despite the massive coverage in the Echo etc. I think we just need to learn to accept that ship has long sailed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Feb. 28 2005,21:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 28 2005,13:03)]
However, we have attracted a few wierdo's lately.

too right, what was up with Spike from Buffy on Saturday? and as for that Shagster character.....
biggrin.gif
The blokes at the end weren't happy next to Ian weren't happy with the little sh*t.
laugh.gif
Its a quality haircut though, lets be honest!

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Feb. 27 2005,22:15)]WS

9 years seriously

Never frequented. Infrequented sometimes.

Usually about block T in the West now. Don't know why though. Closest to my house I think!

Yes

State the reasons for your answer above.

I'd certainly give it a go but I reckon I'd rather be in the North-West. I really am a wandering fan. I'd really like to give it a go but I feel it is only really necessary for big games. Otherwise we spread the corwd out further for average atendances

If attendances continue to keep at their high level.

Right I'm up to page 4 and have to make a couple of points inlight of the fact that I've sat in ALL stands since the North Bank was taken away.

-> People complain about the view but I can guarantee the South Lower is as bad, if not worse, largely because there is no option of sitting near the back.

-> In the late 90s, a lot of lads made a lot of noise in the South Lower but there just weren't enough people and eventually they just gave up and migrated round the ground. I think the biggest problem in S. Lower and S. Upper is that there just arent' enough people to make a lot of noise.

-> Where would we put away supporters if we were behind the goal?

-> Fair play to JS for raising this topic in spite of the fact that he was clearly let down by a lot of people at the last attempt and clearly isn't a fan.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Feb. 28 2005,21:50)]Would you support another campaign for the return of home fans to the North Bank?

no point, the last one died on it's arse despite the massive coverage in the Echo etc. I think we just need to learn to accept that ship has long sailed.
Awful, defeatist attitude that exemplifies why things like this often fall at the first hurdle. If this is something which people want (and I still believe that it would be a great success) then why roll over before it's even started?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Feb. 28 2005,23:55)]->  Fair play to JS for raising this topic in spite of the fact that he was clearly let down by a lot of people at the last attempt and clearly isn't a fan.
Not that I would be able to "frequent" it anyway these days!

tounge.gif

Anyhoo, this is what SZ should all be about and I just surprised Naps and Leeboy haven't done something like this yet so I thought I'd barge in and do one myself (as they'll probably harp on about how "busy" they are!)

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Mar. 01 2005,09:52)]Awful, defeatist attitude that exemplifies why things like this often fall at the first hurdle. If this is something which people want (and I still believe that it would be a great success) then why roll over before it's even started?
Unfortunately that same "defeatist" attitude existed back in 2001 when we tried last time. And I've no doubt that it would still exist now if another campaign was waged. Unfortunate but it just sums up the "real" passion for a return ... no-one was that bothered and I don't think many will be now ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Mar. 01 2005,10:45)]Anyhoo, this is what SZ should all be about and I just surprised Naps and Leeboy haven't done something like this yet so I thought I'd barge in and do one myself (as they'll probably harp on about how "busy" they are!)

WS
Erm...

As a matter of fact, yes, I have been busy- I have personally just got back from Berlin if you must know. And as I'm sure you are aware, we did co-ordinate the petition for the mayor and have only just fought off the Football League's threats, thanks to some help.

So, yes, we have been busy.

tounge.gif

ps I agree with your second point.

17 years

Yes, but only occasionally

West Stand Block U (or East Greens for LDV games)

No

State the reasons for your answer above.

Always prefer to sit on the side of a ground rather than an end

Yes

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 01 2005,11:00)]I have personally just got back from Berlin if you must know.
Which is where I'm headed this weekend incidentally. Any recommendations for good places to get a beer or six?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (W4 Shrimper @ Mar. 01 2005,11:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 01 2005,11:00)]I have personally just got back from Berlin if you must know.
Which is where I'm headed this weekend incidentally. Any recommendations for good places to get a beer or six?
Head for the Potsdamerstrasse. Oh and look out for Checkpoint Charlie, the Brandenburger Tor and the Russian district with its monument to fallen soldiers.

We stayed in the Westin Grand for a few nights (where part of the Bourne Supremacy was filmed) which is along Friedrichstrasse which is good for shopping.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 01 2005,11:55)]Head for the Potsdamerstrasse. Oh and look out for Checkpoint Charlie, the Brandenburger Tor and the Russian district with its monument to fallen soldiers.

We stayed in the Westin Grand for a few nights (where part of the Bourne Supremacy was filmed) which is along Friedrichstrasse which is good for shopping.
Only thing we have definitely planned is Hertha vs Kaiserslautern on Sunday, so those were some useful pointers, cheers.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Mar. 01 2005,10:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Feb. 28 2005,23:55)]-> Fair play to JS for raising this topic in spite of the fact that he was clearly let down by a lot of people at the last attempt and clearly isn't a fan.
Not that I would be able to "frequent" it anyway these days!

tounge.gif

Anyhoo, this is what SZ should all be about and I just surprised Naps and Leeboy haven't done something like this yet so I thought I'd barge in and do one myself (as they'll probably harp on about how "busy" they are!)

WS
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I just realised how that last bit of my post reads. Certainly shades of wiggy a few weeks ago there!

In case anyone was unsure, I meant a fan of the proposals!!

How long have you been following the fortunes of the shrimpers?

16 Years

Yes on quite a few occasions

South Upper

Yes

State the reasons for your answer above?

I cannot think of a good reason why not. At the very least it has to be tried. The atmosphere would be superb, I would love to see 400-500+ Southend fans behind that goal with the lads shooting towards us second-half! What a lift it would give them, the management and players always bang on about how much our noise and support helps and on a matchday there is not enough atmosphere inside the Hall.

110% Yes

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ianbrown @ Mar. 01 2005,16:45)]Would you move back to the North Stand if the club made it possible for home fans to sit there?

Yes

State the reasons for your answer above?

I cannot think of a good reason why not. At the very least it has to be tried. The atmosphere would be superb, I would love to see 400-500+ Southend fans behind that goal with the lads shooting towards us second-half! What a lift it would give them, the management and players always bang on about how much our noise and support helps and on a matchday there is not enough atmosphere inside the Hall.

110% Yes
Well said that man

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ianbrown @ Mar. 01 2005,16:45)]The atmosphere would be superb ...
But would be the same sitting down? Remember that if you were to return to the North Stand, all fans will be expected to sit down during the match and the club would be perfectly entitled to eject anyone who refused to do so. Would that make the atmosphere "superb"? I doubt it. It would probably make it far more intimidating and far less enjoyable for those fans who abide by the rules and regulations of the stadium if they have to endure the minority who continue to "play up" against the stadium security, as they tend to do in the old F Block.

The atmosphere was great when the North BANK was terraced. Now and again it was superb. But quite often it was moribund ...

WS

People will stand up when

1) The team run out
2) There is a good attack
3) Goal
4) Half-time
5) Full-time

Im my opinion it will be fine, if people are standing up ALL the time then people will moan at these individuals due to the fact they won't be able to see themselves.

I sat in the north bank for tilly's match and it was fine with a good little atmosphere !

If people don't want the north bank, don't like the view or aren't happy with the catering (which doesn't bother me) then stay where you are, but for us that want to move back......Please let it happen

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFC4EVER @ Mar. 01 2005,19:37)]I sat in the north bank for tilly's match and it was fine with a good little atmosphere !
I was there as well. But we were allowed to stand up for the entire match (or rather, both matches) and more or less do whatever we liked. That won't happen during First Team matches. I not against the move back to the North Stand "per se". I just think that some people are still viewing the stand through very large rose-tinted glasses. I'd rather the club saved the £17,000 for the playing side of things. It would be an incredible waste of money if people starting migrating back to their original seats after trialling the North Stand, as most people seem to be suggesting.

(We soon discovered that the view was sh*te when you sat down, IF you could sit down in those cramped seats!)

WS

I for 1 would go back and stay there for the entire season (next year)

I would even consider getting a season ticket there

Back