• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cobblers

Schoolboy
Morning Southend fans,

Thought I would come on here again and provide a little insight into our likely starting team for Saturday and our season so far. I appreciate still 5 days to go but work is rather dull!

First things first. Gary Deegan, it appears he has done ok for you, this alone has provided me with the shock of the season as he was terrible with us! Also there have been links between yourself and John-Joe O'Toole. I think its fair to say he has not endeared himself to our fans so far. He is likely our biggest earner, but dosnt put the effort in. Wilder has publicly criticised his performance (and weight!) so a move wouldn't be out the question. Frustrating as he clearly has the footballing ability but a lack of application lets him down.

Was also interested to find out how Ryan Cresswell performed when he was with you. If I remember correctly he was in the team of the year with you, before wanting to head up north? Hes a beast in the air but hes so slow and a massive hoofer that means Im not sure I would say hes one of our best 3 CB’s at the club.

The biggest issue we have had so far is easily injuries, to say its been a crisis at times I an understatement. Have had more than 10 out at times and at the moment have 8 (that I can remember) our injured. Because of this we have simply never had a settled site and it has cost us big time. We always look a threat going forward, but we can be got at easily. Fortunately something that is beginning to change.

It hasn't helped the fans frustration that our stadium redevelopment has halted mid construction (preaching to the choir I know regarding redevelopment frustration).

With the players we do have available I would expect us to line up as this:

Duke
Tozer Langmead Collins Robertson
Hackett Murdoch Carter Mohamed
Toney Richards

Our two wide men are key performers. Hackett has I would argue the most consistent delivery in the league. Expect to see him do a single stepover, get to the byline and float a ball in. Does tend to drift in and out of games though. Mohamed is more of a runner with the ball, has chipped in with a few goals, has great pace but tends to run sideways into teammates space instead of passing!

Our front two have been excellent. Marc Richards has 10 (I think) league goals, despite being out injured for a month with a hamstring injury. Really does lead the line well and is an all round threat. Ivan Toney is an 18 year old local lad whos goals helped keep us up last season. Great in the air and an excellent first touch, not surprised championship clubs are interested. The club rejected a 6 figure bid from Wolves last week although sadly it is inevitable he will leave us when a big enough fee is agreed.

Despite our mid table mediocrity I have faith that when we get more players back fit we will push for a play off place.

So how has your season been so far? Currently in the playoffs and pushing for automatics, got to be happy with that? Any outstanding performers?

As for the result im going with a 1-1 draw.

Any questions feel free to ask!

Cobblers

1-1 you got to be having a laugh ain't ya, we are due another 1-0 loss at home very soon, you may be getting three points on Saturday :'(

O'Toole close to a loan move, will be in squad for Saturday. Tells me cobblers want to cut losses and we may have a option to buy in January?

:stunned:

Cobblers

Yes i think you are not a bad bet for a play off place.
If we get a regular goalscorer Probally a fit Barnard back from Stevo.
We could get a automatic place.
Expect us to go a goal up and sit back and try and defend.
It may then go ti** up or we struggle to hold on.
We play nice football with Worrall and Hurst putting good balls over and Corr the usual target man.
Little Jack Payne will then try and pick up the balls and run at the defence.
So expect a tight game and you coming at us to get a point or maybe three.
We just are not very good at putting the goal in the onion bag.
Oh our young keeper is very good at this level!!
Finally expect our fans to get frustrated at the tatics our manager employes if we take the lead.

We have been inconsistent.

We are either bad or good and at he moment we are good having won 3 in a row.

We have a habit of scoring and then just sitting back and allowing teams to come at us and those that have enough quality eventually get a point sometimes more.

If we get 2 goals to the good then generally we win ,but don't score many or concede many.

We haven't been well beaten by anyone and barring one game at Luton away have been in amongst the points in each and everyone.

We will line up in a 4-4-1-1

Bentley

White sokilik prosser Williams

Hurst Timlin Leonard Worrall
Payne
Corr

Jack Payne is the player to watch. A precocious talent who has a big future in the game.

Be nice to see a decent away gate but Northampton never bring many to us. 500 tops.

What's your thoughts Cobbler on the fact that you are allowing O' Toole to play against you on saturday?

Yeah I thought Bentley would of been snapped up by now to be honest! Interesting you are hoping Barnard does the job when back from loan. We played Stevenage on Saturday and he didn't look good at all. Hit the bar at the end but really should of scored.

As for O’Toole he really has been disappointing. He arrived with us fans really excited to see what he could do, even though Brizzle fans warned us what he was like despite his goals. His attitude and weight have been a problem. He hasn’t been played in his preferred no 10 position but his performances just don’t warrant his selection. No goals so far this season and he dosnt look like scoring any time soon. He dosnt have the drive to get into the box, gives away silly fouls due to laziness. I really wanted it to work out, he has talent which makes it all the more frustrating, but is wasting it away with his lack of application. He is supposed to be our biggest earner, so if you take him and his contract off our hands permanently might be the best for all parties.
is

What's your thoughts Cobbler on the fact that you are allowing O' Toole to play against you on saturday?

Really not bothered by it. If you play him in a midfield 2 then you will struggle as he dosnt look up for the fight. Play him as a 10 and see what he can do, but not worried based upon what I have seen.

Interesting what is said about going 2 goals up aswell. That has been our downfall recently, never score that second to take real control of the game.

Cobblers

Yes i think you are not a bad bet for a play off place.
If we get a regular goalscorer Probally a fit Barnard back from Stevo.
We could get a automatic place.
Expect us to go a goal up and sit back and try and defend.
It may then go ti** up or we struggle to hold on.
We play nice football with Worrall and Hurst putting good balls over and Corr the usual target man.
Little Jack Payne will then try and pick up the balls and run at the defence.
So expect a tight game and you coming at us to get a point or maybe three.
We just are not very good at putting the goal in the onion bag.
Oh our young keeper is very good at this level!!
Finally expect our fans to get frustrated at the tatics our manager employes if we take the lead.

In fairness I'd rather we but the ball in there. I don't think the goal would fit.

Last edited:
The only change we will make from saturday is if Leonard is out injured and in that case Clifford will step up just as he did off of the bench saturday.

JJOT - Has ability but i believe in team spirit and i dont want him joining and ruining squad harmony etc.

I forgot all about Cresswell. You want to hope that Hackett stays on the pitch longer than last season, because along with Mohammed I can see you causing us some problems down the flanks.

Cresswell was great for us but I can see Jack Payne causing him all kinds of merry hell.

Cresswell was great for us but I can see Jack Payne causing him all kinds of merry hell.

I can't see that happening!

LkAgjfpw_normal.jpeg
Chris Phillips@CJPhillips1982 · 6 hrs6 hours ago Ryan Cresswell will miss Saturday's game at Roots Hall with a knee injury.

Not really decided how I feel about Cresswell yet. Seems like a decent bloke and as I say heads everything, but his lack of ability to even put the ball anywhere near our own players is an issue. Also he is super slow! Would like him to be part of a back 3 when we go 3-5-2. Expect him to get at least 5 goals this season, he has 2 already.

Yeah I thought Bentley would of been snapped up by now to be honest! Interesting you are hoping Barnard does the job when back from loan. We played Stevenage on Saturday and he didn't look good at all. Hit the bar at the end but really should of scored.

As for O’Toole he really has been disappointing. He arrived with us fans really excited to see what he could do, even though Brizzle fans warned us what he was like despite his goals. His attitude and weight have been a problem. He hasn’t been played in his preferred no 10 position but his performances just don’t warrant his selection. No goals so far this season and he dosnt look like scoring any time soon. He dosnt have the drive to get into the box, gives away silly fouls due to laziness. I really wanted it to work out, he has talent which makes it all the more frustrating, but is wasting it away with his lack of application. He is supposed to be our biggest earner, so if you take him and his contract off our hands permanently might be the best for all parties.
is

Any permanent move for O'Toole would likely involve a big pay cut, there's no way we'd cover his contract. With any luck he'll be back to you lot come January.....

Back