• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend_aussies

I come from a land down under
Two away games in four days sees the Shrimpers head to Sixfield Stadium to take on Northampton Town. A much needed win is required by the Shrimpers as they are on the bottom of the League 2 ladder after two games. Can they do it? Well this preview will hopefully answer that.

Northampton Town V Southend United:

FORM:

NORTHAMPTON:

Last 5:

League:
Northampton 2-1 Rotherham (W)
Rochdale 0-0 Northampton (D)

League Cup:
Northampton 2-1 Cardifff (W)

Friendlies:
Northampton 3-1 West Ham XI (W)
Northampton 1-3 Tottenham XI (L)

SOUTHEND:

Last 5:

LEAGUE:

Oxford 2-0 Southend (L)
Southend 0-1 Accrington (L)

LEAGUE CUP:

Peterborough 4-0 Southend (L)

FRIENDLIES:

Southend 0-6 Tottenham Hotspur XI (L)
Southend 2-3 Charlton (L)

HEAD TO HEAD:

Southend 42
Draws 26
Northampton 42

Last Time we Met: Sat January 14 Northampton 2 Southend 5

Last 5 Head to Head Southend 2 Draws 2 Northampton 1

KEY PLAYERS FOR NORTHAMPTON:

Adebayo Akinfenwa - The key player for Northampton is the player Southend has been consistently linked with over the past few years. Last year he scored a cracking goal at Roots Hall and was their leading goal scorer. You just know because of his linking with the club that he will be a lingering factor in today's match. If Northampton are to win then he will be key in attack for them to win.

KEY PLAYER FOR SOUTHEND:

Ryan Hall - If he plays, he will be vital in Southend's quest to secure maximum points. Led the assists at the club last year and can score a few goals himself. If Southend are to win they will need to score goals and Hall will be vital in achieving that.

STATS:

Northampton had the second worst record at home last year only winning 6 games at home.

This year though they are 2 from 2 in both league cup and league action.

Southend had the best record in the league away from home last year but failed to show that on Tuesday against Oxford.

Southend haven't scored in their last four meeting

Southend haven't kept a clean sheet in their last 9 matches.

MY TIP:

Northampton have started well in the league taking 4 points in their opening two matches. Southend on the other hand are sitting at the foot of the table. I expect the Shrimpers to bounce back but not win the match. A draw is what I see in this match with Southend to finally score their first goal in the league.

Draw 1-1

Last edited:
Can only see another lose, with the side he has available at the the moment. No Timlin makes it even worse, got to get at least one decent midfielder in before window closes, otherwise the reverses imo will keep coming.

0-2 to the blues! Controversial own goal and a dodgy pen. Addy B sent to the stands, after Coughlan kicks ball away to waste time. Belford to repeat his Crawley time-wasting antics from last season. Only thing missing from this high tempo game is a stripper with huge jugs running on and kicking the match ball. I have seen the future and it is blue!

Could see us turining it around today but wouldnt want to put money on it. Would like to see Benyon given a start alongside Tomlin assuming Freddy not fit. Paul Smith is a must.

Bayo might not even get on the pitch today, Clive Platt has been immense.

Yea Platts a good signing for this division. Dare I say wouldve been a great replacemet for Crock Corr.

He turned down Championship offers (albeit from Barnsley) and it's a real coup to get him at this level I think. Is Ryan Hall playing? I remember him being immense against us last time out

Yeah Im sure he will. He was indeed immense, set up four of the FIVE goals we put past you. :thumbsup:

That's a good question. It depends on Sturrock's judgement of how focused he is. His lack of focus was why he was left out of the starting 11 at Oxford on tuesday. With Timlin suspended he might get a recall but then our two central midfielders Spicer and Ferdinand are available and I can't see Leonard being dropped as he seems a Sturrock favourite and I personally don't think Hurst deserves to be dropped. But of course that is if we were playing 4 in midfield. Sturrock always seems to prefer a 5 man midfield in away games so really this looks like being favoured again and if so that may increase Hall's chances of inclusion. On side note Would not be surprised if Eastwood is in there today. Don't know this but Sturrock hinted it may be a little soon for him to return but what with him doing the opposite to what he says,i,e Belford, Timlin and Kalala etc, I'm basing my prediction on that.

We have a really good record against them at their place in the past few seasons but can see them winning today. Draw would be a good result.

0-2 to the blues! Controversial own goal and a dodgy pen. Addy B sent to the stands, after Coughlan kicks ball away to waste time. Belford to repeat his Crawley time-wasting antics from last season. Only thing missing from this high tempo game is a stripper with huge jugs running on and kicking the match ball. I have seen the future and it is blue!

I want to be at this game!

Would be nice to see some positivity today. We need 3 points so let's ****ing go for it and take the game to them. With Hurst and Freddy injured, Harris not quite at full fitness and Timlin suspended I'd like to see:

Belford

Clohessy
Phillips
Cresswell
Prosser

Hall
Spicer
Ferdinand
Martin

Tomlin
Assombalonga

4-4-2, use the wings, use the pace of the two up top and take it to them. No pussy-footing around being negative, sitting deep and trying to hit on the break. Just up the ante from the first whistle and take them apart.

Given a fair crack I think Martin would prove to be a good player. Honestly I think hes shown this in the small period he has appeared but can't show on a regular basis as he's not chosen. Apologies if this sparks controversy but I think the Club have pulled a fast one with him. Him being placed on transfer list was because he wanted more first team , well thats the official line, but I suspect like a few players in years gone by he wasn't enthralled by a wage deduction demand. Which I guess he said no to.

Agree it's a big ask given the resources we have available. If we get anything from this game it bodes well for the season.

Would be nice to see some positivity today. We need 3 points so let's ****ing go for it and take the game to them. With Hurst and Freddy injured, Harris not quite at full fitness and Timlin suspended I'd like to see:

Belford

Clohessy
Phillips
Cresswell
Prosser

Hall
Spicer
Ferdinand
Martin

Tomlin
Assombalonga

4-4-2, use the wings, use the pace of the two up top and take it to them. No pussy-footing around being negative, sitting deep and trying to hit on the break. Just up the ante from the first whistle and take them apart.
You're NOT Paul Sturrock and I won't even bother trying to claim my £5.

Nick Alliker ‏@BBCNick
Southend team. Belford,clohessy,Phillips,cresswell,prosser, Leonard,spicer,Kane,Martin, Britt,tomlin

Back