• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not everyone loves the stadium

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Oct. 10 2006,12:02)]a. Roots Hall is a superb ground, and always will be! It makes me sick to read of the comments on here about RH being a dump and the roughest part of Southend. Get real and get a life! Would everyone on here be slagging Roots Hall off if the new ground wasn't in the pipeline?

b. I really can't see this new ground happening! The cost will exceed £20M IMHO. But will SUFC fall deeper into debt with the cost of this project, especially if we get relegated this season?

c. And a new ground is inevitable.

d. I think we need a team capable of staying and competing in the CCC.  I haven't seen this yet, other than the odd game here or there.  This needs to come first before a new bigger ground arrives.

e. Do we really need another retail park in Essex?
a. Roots Hall WAS a superb ground fifty years ago; it was unique and one of a kind, built and financed by the fans for the football club. But in the 21st Century it is a tired remnant of its former self. The stands are subsiding, the area looks shabby, we need to move the club into a new future and, unfortunately, that future is not at Roots Hall. It was looking somewhat shabby 30 years ago when I first started watching Southend United and it looks even more so now.

b. Well, it looks as if it will do. The cost has been estimated at £25 million but Ron Martin has gone on record to say that those costs will be kept to a minimum as much as possible. I think many people are missing the point of the new stadium. The debt is strangling the club whilst it stays at Roots Hall; we can't compete with our fellow clubs. That debt should be significantly reduced, if not cleared by the move.

c. In b) above you say you can't see it happening and then you claim that it is inevitable. Which is it?!

d. Additional revenue to build a team capable of competing in the Championship won't materialise whilst we are at Roots Hall. The Chairman claims that it will do if and when the club moves to the new development; surely that's a good enough reason to support the move?

e. Why? How many are there in Southend? Surely the point is to promote business and retail in the borough, rather than watching the economy stumble because people prefer to drive to Lakeside or Bluewater?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Oct. 10 2006,11:02)]B

It makes me sick to read of the comments on here about RH being a dump and the roughest part of Southend. Get real and get a life!

Roots Hall is a superb ground, and always will be!

I'd love us to stay there.
Tony I have to say this. You're talking nonsense. I've got a life thanks and RH is a dump.
And I'm just as big a fan as you.

So there
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Oct. 10 2006,11:02)]Blimey!

Would everyone on here be slagging Roots Hall off if the new ground wasn't in the pipeline?

It makes me sick to read of the comments on here about RH being a dump and the roughest part of Southend.  Get real and get a life!
Yes! Roots Hall has history, but its hardly a nice stadium

Roots Hall is a goodsized stadium for League Two, ok for League one and an embarrassment at CCC level.

The facilities are poor compared with what we can have and the sooner we get out the better.

Its uncomfortable to watch games (some rows you cant physically gt your legs in), too many posts, too few exits meaning getting in and out of our block takes 15 minutes and annoying 50 people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Museshrimper @ Oct. 09 2006,20:32)]For the exiles:

In your Echo Comment column, headlined "Stadium plan is a winner", about Southend United's new stadium proposals, you asked "what's not to like"?

Well, for local residents I'd say there is plenty not to like, including extra traffic on an already overloaded road.

I know Southend fans have a good reputation for behaviour, but extra noise and litter will certainly also be an issue.

Parking on side-roads will cause problems, too I'm sure - getting on or off my driveway should be interesting.

I presume if there are to be shops, then food outlets will be there too. Nice - the local chavs will have somewhere new to hang out...

As for the Premiership and the suggestion of regular gates of 22,000, someone is surely living in cloud-cuckoo-land. Still, I guess Freddy Eastwood might be sold in January, relegation  would then be assured by Martch, and the whole thing would go on the back-burner again. Personally, I can't wait.

Phil Stringfellow
Eastern Avenue
Southend
what a c%&t

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C'mon you Blues @ Oct. 10 2006,11:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Oct. 10 2006,11:02)]B

It makes me sick to read of the comments on here about RH being a dump and the roughest part of Southend.  Get real and get a life!

Roots Hall is a superb ground, and always will be!

I'd love us to stay there.
Tony I have to say this. You're talking nonsense. I've got a life thanks and RH is a dump.
And I'm just as big a fan as you.

So there
tounge.gif
If you think RH is a dump then, dont attend matches!

RH is not a dump!

If RH is a dump, what are towns like Tilbury and Chatham then?

Honestly, some people!!!

Didn't hear you moaning about RH last season did we??
mad.gif

Tony, whilst I agree that describing Roots Hall as a dump might be slightly harsh, I can't see how you can think that the ground is anything other than a shabby football stadium which is falling apart at the seams. Plus, how can you compare to Tilbury and Chatham, neither of whom have Football League clubs?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 10 2006,11:31)]e. Why? How many are there in Southend? Surely the point is to promote business and retail in the borough, rather than watching the economy stumble because people prefer to drive to Lakeside or Bluewater?
I said Essex not Southend!

And yes we do have enough of these souless retail parks in Essex,

Pipps Hill
One opposite Gloucester Park
Bas Vegas
Rayleigh Weir
Tunnel Estate (Lakeside)

to name but a few!

Why they have to be so close to this proposed new ground is anyones guess.

This project is like a bigger scale version of Sixfields and the Kassam. I just hope it doesn't go the same way as the kassam! Then we will be in trouble!!
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 10 2006,11:50)]Tony, whilst I agree that describing Roots Hall as a dump might be slightly harsh, I can't see how you can think that the ground is anything other than a shabby football stadium which is falling apart at the seams. Plus, how can you compare to Tilbury and Chatham, neither of whom have Football League clubs?!
I was disgusted at RH being branded a dump, the term used for towns like Chatham and Tilbury. Nothing to do with whether they have football league clubs!

Is it hot in Spain today?

I am amazed by some of the comments on here.

Roots Hall is a nice little ground, its a great place for us and holds some great memories and I for one will be sad to see us go.

Sadly the ground is dated to say the least. Ron says its a "crumbling infastructure" and all in all its time to move on

However I cant see how any of you expect us to be able to compete when we have such limited gates. We need a new ground to grow and to attract new fans, sponsors, players..

As far the give me Barnet brigade.....I have to question what you want for the clun long term if your happy with us playing crap clubs in crap stadiums. Personally nothing gives me greater joy then beating a Sunderland type club. Surely you whole point of the club is to push on and become the best that we can be.

DtS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Oct. 10 2006,11:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Museshrimper @ Oct. 09 2006,20:32)]For the exiles:

In your Echo Comment column, headlined "Stadium plan is a winner", about Southend United's new stadium proposals, you asked "what's not to like"?

Well, for local residents I'd say there is plenty not to like, including extra traffic on an already overloaded road.

I know Southend fans have a good reputation for behaviour, but extra noise and litter will certainly also be an issue.

Parking on side-roads will cause problems, too I'm sure - getting on or off my driveway should be interesting.

I presume if there are to be shops, then food outlets will be there too. Nice - the local chavs will have somewhere new to hang out...

As for the Premiership and the suggestion of regular gates of 22,000, someone is surely living in cloud-cuckoo-land. Still, I guess Freddy Eastwood might be sold in January, relegation would then be assured by Martch, and the whole thing would go on the back-burner again. Personally, I can't wait.

Phil Stringfellow
Eastern Avenue
Southend
what a c%&t
Blimey. All he did was post the bloke's letter on the board.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 10 2006,11:50)]I can't see how you can think that the ground is anything other than a shabby football stadium which is falling apart at the seams.
I strongly disagree on this one!

How can you make such a comment??

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Oct. 10 2006,12:51)]Why they have to be so close to this proposed new ground is anyones guess.
Ah! Now you see you've just proved that you totally miss the point of the retail development at the new stadium complex!! It is there because it will provide the additional revenue stream that is sadly lacking at the moment. Additional revenue means additional investment in the playing squad means additional success for Southend United.

I think you really need cast an eye over the proposed development and associated proposals before casting further mis-informed opinions on the development because you have quite clearly misunderstood it ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 10 2006,11:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Oct. 10 2006,12:51)]Why they have to be so close to this proposed new ground is anyones guess.
Ah! Now you see you've just proved that you totally miss the point of the retail development at the new stadium complex!! It is there because it will provide the additional revenue stream that is sadly lacking at the moment. Additional revenue means additional investment in the playing squad means additional success for Southend United.

I think you really need cast an eye over the proposed development and associated proposals before casting further mis-informed opinions on the development because you have quite clearly misunderstood it ...
Yeah i have looked at the proposals, but why do these proposed shops have to be built connecting to one of the stands of the new ground?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Oct. 10 2006,12:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 10 2006,11:50)]I can't see how you can think that the ground is anything other than a shabby football stadium which is falling apart at the seams.
I strongly disagree on this one!

How can you make such a comment??
Very easily, because Roots Hall IS falling apart at the seams!! It's crumbling, subsiding into the rubbish tip it has been built on! If you're happy to continue with the current set-up then you'll be looking for someone else to support in five years time because Southend United won't exist; the club can't sustain itself at Roots Hall. That's the cold truth. But if you're happy, then so be it - I hear Chelmsfory City are an up-and-coming team you could follow in a few years time ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Oct. 10 2006,13:03)]Yeah i have looked at the proposals, but why do these proposed shops have to be built connecting to one of the stands of the new ground?
But that's what makes the design so unique, so different from all the sterile, flat-pack stadiums that have sprung up across the UK in recent years!! I think the whole development looks the nuts and so do many other people. Sure, there are others who will not see this as progression but maybe that's why Southend-on-Sea has continued to stagnate over the past two decades. Now is the time to look forward, not back ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 10 2006,12:04)]I hear Chelmsfory City are an up-and-coming team you could follow in a few years time ...
OOOOOOO we have a comedian in the house
smile.gif

Where is Chelmsfory?
laugh.gif

Back