• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OD - Match 3

I'd be looking to make at least 270 in the sun.

The players are off the field for the break between innings.

End of Over 50: 270-2, runrate=5.40
Andre 10-1-51-1
Wright* 77 (95 balls)
Tyler 16 (18 balls)
Last Wicket: Marcel b. Andre 127 (FOW: 238/2)
49.6 4 Andre to Tyler
Nicely pulled over the head of square leg and that'll bounce once before the boundary. Good solid stroke for four.

Effectively bot bashing so another day off for the worst affected. I'm going to have to think long and hard about Sundays cup game especially if I pick nothing up in the TM. May have to roll over though opps are also struggling with a couple of tired high raters and a small squad.

Chasing 172 which is a bit of a shocker. With my lineup this could get interesting

Restricted oppo to 166-9! Somehow Mbata went for 60 off his ten overs, with Deane being the 2nd most expensive conceding 31 runs but taking 3 wickets in the process!

I've lost Cavanagh early for 4 but are now 41-1 with Deane and Sookram at the crease.

Mrs BB off to a steady start.

Queens Park CC v DIBS DIPPERS

DIBS DIPPERS won the toss and elected to field.
Pitch: Dusty

End of Over 10: 52-0, runrate=5.20, reqrunrate=5.35 (265-3)
Plaatjies 5-0-30-0
Carden* 25 (32 balls)
Tyson 26 (28 balls)

Does this represent good value!? Listed for 8.5 million ...

10. Simon Shipp (2560654) Simon is an attacking RH Batsman, and an attacking RF Bowler. He has feeble leadership skills and respectable experience.

He currently has mediocre batting form, proficient bowling form and lively fitness.

Plays For: Priapismic Frotagers
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 102,284
Wages: £50,133 p/w
Preference: None
Trait: None

Stamina: superb Wicket Keeping: mediocre
Batting: worthless Concentration: respectable
Bowling: exquisite Consistency: masterful
Fielding: quality

I hope so, as I've just signed him!

My bowling attack needs to get younger* and he was the right age and attributes. Being an attacking fast bowler was a posi'ive as well.

*End of Over 12: 78-1, runrate=6.50, reqrunrate=4.32 (241-3)
Askari 1-0-2-0
Jarrett* 29 (28 balls)
Steadhart 25 (24 balls)

Last Wicket: Henson c. Pembridge b. Varney 22 (FOW: 35/1)

Mrs BB making this look easy so far.

End of Over 18: 115-0, runrate=6.39, reqrunrate=4.72 (265-3)
Chirwa 4-0-31-0
Tyson* 64 (54 balls)
Carden 49 (54 balls)

Needed that

End of Over 24: 122-3, runrate=5.08, reqrunrate=4.62 (241-3)
Dodd 2-1-5-1
Tuck* 25 (34 balls)
Wheater 0 (0 balls)

Last Wicket: Steadhart b. Dodd 43 (FOW: 122/3)

23.6 W Dodd to Steadhart
A very full and faster delivery, right on middle stump. The stump flew out the ground, as Steadhart failed to connect after attempting the reverse sweep.

Made 406-1 and bowled them out for 44 for a very pleasant NRR increase. Trainee all rounder Graves took the final wicket with his 4th ever delivery so has a bowling average of 1.

I hope so, as I've just signed him!
I think it's good value. I paid £11m for a 22yo miraculous a couple of seasons back so that's fairly even with that, if a little less (which is consistent with the market).

The hidden value of the potential length of service is immeasurable but the bottom line is he can do a job for you for 11 seasons which is basically 11 seasons you don't have to think about replacing him for. That's one of the big issues for teams now, we've gone through one Battrick 'cycle'. Season 18 so the original 17yo's are now too old and a lot of the older teams have players all ageing at the same time meaning big squad overhauls that not everyone has the time and patience to do properly. Luckily most of us on here have kept our squads fairly fresh, hence our current prime positions in the rankings.

Another way to look at it is you're basically paying for someone else putting probably 4 nets per week on him for 5 seasons. That's 320 nets which equates to £26,500 per net. I reckon if you train to sell properly you can make £50k from a net easily, so it's the perfect player for someone who does that.

IMO i think thats why alot of the teams have supposedly given up - which is pretty weak IMO. They've realised their squad has no longevity to it and bailed!

I had sent the owner a mail saying to re-list him at 7 million and i'll happily start the bidding but that obviously wont be the case. Like you guys said, his age is the main factor. I dont mind buying a 20/21 yo and training them another level or two but am looking for someone around the level 15/level 15 area.

End of Over 29: 113-3, runrate=3.90, reqrunrate=2.57 (166-9)
Lucketti 8-1-25-1
Browne* 13 (29 balls)
Sookram 63 (74 balls)

Last Wicket: Waterhouse Run Out 3 (FOW: 74/3)

I paid 12.25m for Sipho in March 2008 and he was an exquisite 21-22 year old I think, so comparing with that 8.5m is a good price.

Paying premium for young players isn't really an issue though. Mistakes are made when people like myself pay over 10m for a 28 year old all-rounder. Parry is definitely my worst value purchase on the game:

3. Justin Parry - 29 yo, BT Rating=211,172, Wage=£88,075 shortcut
A steady RH batsman and a steady RM bowler. He has feeble leadership skills and phenomenal experience. He has no preference and no trait.
He currently has superb batting form, superb bowling form and changeable fitness.
Stamina: superb* Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: wonderful Concentration: exceptional
Bowling: masterful Consistency: miraculous
Fielding: exquisite

Wouldn't get anywhere near the 10.75m I paid in September for him now. Shouldn't have got near it then, either!

We're not in too bad shape, one 34yo, and two 30yo, all the rest 28 or under. Of the two 30 year olds, Burns is going on the market tomorrow morning, should get a reasonable price for him bearing mind what kev got for Raven.

Raymond Burns - 30 yo, BT Rating=158,581, Wage=£75,836
A defensive LH batsman and a defensive LFM bowler. He has woeful leadership skills and elite experience. He has no preference and no trait.
He currently has superb batting form, superb bowling form and changeable fitness.

Stamina: superb* Wicket Keeping: feeble
Batting: exquisite Concentration: wonderful
Bowling: sensational Consistency: sensational
Fielding: remarkable

The other 30yo is Evelyn, who I just can't bring myself to sell, although I've just bought someone to train with an eye to replacing him in 3 seasons time.

Once I've sold Burns and replaced him, I'll sell the 34yo and try and replace him with a 30-31yo, won't have enough cash for anyone younger.

Edit - Just seen Muse's post. Burns cost me 13.5m back in March, he was 27 at the time, but probably the height of the market. I reckon I'll be lucky to get half of that back...

Last edited:
End of Over 42: 160-4, runrate=3.81, reqrunrate=0.87 (166-9)
Morne 9-0-46-1
Browne* 35 (66 balls)
Zamora 0 (0 balls)

Last Wicket: Sookram b. Morne 87 (FOW: 160/4)

Gonna be a crushing win for Mrs BB.

End of Over 44: 256-2, runrate=5.82, reqrunrate=1.67 (265-3)
Ilyas 7-1-34-0
Hutton* 21 (18 balls)
Stride 38 (42 balls)

Last Wicket: Tyson b. Chirwa 111 (FOW: 231/2)

Paying premium for young players isn't really an issue though. Mistakes are made when people like myself pay over 10m for a 28 year old all-rounder. Parry is definitely my worst value purchase on the game:
I paid £10.4m for Benji on 22/1/10. Prices have definitely come down since then however it was still over the odds as he's only exceptional, just had really high secondaries which sucked me in. Now 29 the most I'm hoping for is £6m. At least Parry was a decent bowler!!

I find myself itching to replace players as soon as they hit 30. With someone like Evelyn I'd be tempted to keep him until about 34, yes there is depreciation but it also saves you the cost of replacing. He'll still be just as good player and you might lose 3 or 4 million in transfer fee between now and then however when spread across four seasons that's no more than the cost of replacing him at 30.

Looks like I'm set to go top as the current leaders have lost and we get a nice +7.2 NRR boost so can't see third overtaking.

With a 9 position shift in BT20 as well I'm looking forward to the rankings update tomorrow.

Could do with some wickets and dot balls and no boundaries here.

End of Over 48: 226-5, runrate=4.71, reqrunrate=8.00 (241-3)
Daniels 9-0-55-1
Tuck* 83 (100 balls)
Qasim 19 (27 balls)

Last Wicket: Boddy b. Dodd 10 (FOW: 177/5)

Mrs BB wins with 3.4 overs to spare.

The match is over. DIBS DIPPERS won by 8 wickets.
Queens Park CC 265-3
DIBS DIPPERS 266-2

Wow, ask and you shall receive.

And that's the end of the match. Geoff_Boycotts_Grandmother XI won by 11 runs.
Geoff_Boycotts_Grandmother XI 241-3
Lancaster Bombers 230-7

End of Over 50: 230-7, runrate=4.60
Daniels 10-0-56-3
Mccrave* 1 (1 balls)
0 (1 balls)

49.6 . Daniels to Catt
Played and missed. Pembridge appeals, but in the end just looks like a fool.
49.5 W Daniels to Qasim
The ball flew in the air to Varney and he takes it at the fourth or fifth attempt. I haven't seen juggling like that since the last time I was at the circus.
49.4 . Daniels to Qasim
Cracking delivery from Daniels. In the corridor of uncertainty and Qasim had a little dab at it.
49.3 1 Daniels to Mccrave
Mccrave picks up a single with a clip to fine leg.
49.2 W Daniels to Tuck
They don't come much easier than that. Pitched up outside off, a nick through to the keeper.
49.1 . Daniels to Tuck
Line, length and pace from Daniels. For all the kids listening and watching out there, those are the fundamentals of bowling.

End of Over 49: 229-5, runrate=4.67, reqrunrate=13.00 (241-3)
Varney 10-0-64-1
Tuck* 85 (102 balls)
Qasim 20 (31 balls)

Last Wicket: Boddy b. Dodd 10 (FOW: 177/5)

48.6 . Varney to Qasim
That delivery was unplayable, so Qasim left it alone.
48.5 1 Varney to Tuck
The anticipation around the ground is as much to do with the precarious plastic snake of beer glasses as the cricket. Tuck turns that delivery into the on side and sets off for a run. Dodd makes a tumbling stop - and the snake comes crashing down!
48.4 1 Varney to Qasim
On the back foot, stroked down to deep backward point for the single.
48.3 . Varney to Qasim
Just a fraction outside off and a bit of movement away, left alone to the keeper.
48.2 . Varney to Qasim
That shortish delivery was clubbed to point, but some tidy work by Wilkinson makes the batsmen think better of the single.
48.1 1 Varney to Tuck
Tuck pulls firmly in front of square but fails to beat the man on the boundary.

Back