• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oh..... its starting again.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Nov. 13 2004,20:20)]Embarassing is staying rooted to your line for every corner and cross that comes inside your 6 yard box and watching opposition players tap it in, time after time. Embarassing is finishing 17th or 18th in the 4th division year after year. Embarassing is getting ****ed at a sponsor's function and getting your knob out. Embarassing is refusing to sign because you think you are too good, only to have to return cap in hand because the only club who offered you terms were playing below the conference. Embarassing is getting caught in no mans land miles outside your area and not only then trying to catch the ball, but protesting about the inevitable red card which nearly costs your team three points in a game in which they were cruising.

Griemink was probably at fault for the first goal, but his failure couldn't come quick enough for a lot of so-called supporters. Using 'logic' such as "Swindon booted him out for a reason" is complete and utter b******s. There's a reason why ALL of our players are playing 4th division football. If you want to use that logic please explain why no other team wanted to sign Flahavan when he has been out of contract. There have been at least three occasions when the supposed best shotstopper in the division has been out of contract and available for free, but apart from Brighton who had a look and thought better, the only other team to show an interest was Waterlooville.
Couldn't agree more. But,

Why can't we just accept that we have two keepers who can hold thier own(Darryl) in this division and both have thier strong and weak points.

Maybe Tilson accepts that they are as good as each other and once someone has a run in the team they stay there until injured or make drastic errors(Cue the bart bashers).

And why does every thread now degenerate into a bart/darryl argument
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Embarassing is refusing to sign because you think you are too good, only to have to return cap in hand because the only club who offered you terms were playing below the conference

Sorry, but thats b******s. In the summer, both Boston and Livingstone offered Darryl a contract but he turned them down in favour of us and seeing that the summer before he was booted out and then re-signed by Wignall it says a lot for him.

I'm not proclaiming to be pro or anti either of our goalkeepers but last night Bart's performance simply wasn't acceptable to be honest. He was at fault for the first and possibly at fault for the third by going down so early (Yes Jupp keep the fella on). The secong goal, all though well taken, was right next to him. Possibly he should have saved it. Finally, he nearly cost us another goal when he failed to control a simple back pass. Why an earth us he trying to take it on the outside of his foot?! Possibly Darryl would have done better but then again Darryl might have played worse, its just sheer speculation.

Oh well we lost to luton, I thought we would never beat them and I dont care. Its not like were going to win the fa cup is it. Plus getting that money from sky has helped the club getting more money. Now lets get back in good ways for the in league on saturday. Dont get me started on keepers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southender @ Nov. 13 2004,21:27)]Why can't we just accept that we have two keepers who can hold thier own(Darryl) in this division and both have thier strong and weak points.
Because Flahavan can't hold his own in this division - whenever he is in goal we concede an unacceptable number of goals from corners and crosses.

Griemink may or may not be the answer, but after 5 years of seeing us concede goal after goal from corners and crosses where Flahavan has remained rooted to his goal-line I would have thought it obvious that Flahavan isn't the answer.

This is really hurting my head. Alderton's no.1. Final word

(after this short H&W break)

Oh yeah, and if it was Waterlooville you meant, they were a doomed club that later merged with Havant. Realistically though, I think you meant Havant and Waterlooville cos Daryl was almost certainly at Southampton when they merged.

For f**ks sake how did my original post turn in to the perenial Bart vs Flavs debate.

someone freeze this topic.

Maybe i will start another post about how happy i am with being a shrimper at the moment.

Got a feeling not many will add to that topic ....far too positive
rock.gif

You've got a good point but people are just stating their opinions.
It's great to be a shrimper at the moment - the fact that we lost to Luton is just a blip and as has been said before, we were never going to win the FA cup were we? However, this conversation is going to keep getting brought up because there are a lot of people who feel very strongly about it. There's nothing anyone can do to stop that.
Anyway - I reckon we should get Tes in goal!!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm happy to be a shrimper.
We were an embaressment on live TV and on the night i was pretty upset and embaressed, BUT i would much rather be an embaressment in the cup then in the league, TV or not. To the best of my knowledge we haven't really had a shocker this season (cept Darlo mayb). By the next morning i had put the game behind me and was looking forward to getting back to winning ways.

Oh no........ not the Bart Vs Flav's debate AGAIN!

sad.gif

Can we not rewind post's back a couple of days or so?

rock.gif

Lets think about the important thing............PROMOTION out of this hell-hole division!

Come on you blues, heads up for Yeovil.

If you'r all going to Yeovil clap you'r hands!!!!!!

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Nov. 13 2004,21:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Nov. 13 2004,19:14)]Agreed theres no excuse for abusing our own players and I never hid the fact I think Darryl is a much more accomplished keeper than Bart and last night Bart embarassed us with his performance and theres plenty more to come, Swindon booted him out for a reason, he is even tagged as a 'comedy keeper' and I expect teams pray we play him when we meet. He is tall that is his strength a good asset I accept but i'd rather a keeper who can save shots and kick not just grab the occasional corner??? Everyone knows if Darryl came for crosses he'd be a chamionship keeper so this discussion is exhausted,Just my opinion though!
Embarassing is staying rooted to your line for every corner and cross that comes inside your 6 yard box and watching opposition players tap it in, time after time. Embarassing is finishing 17th or 18th in the 4th division year after year. Embarassing is getting ****ed at a sponsor's function and getting your knob out. Embarassing is refusing to sign because you think you are too good, only to have to return cap in hand because the only club who offered you terms were playing below the conference. Embarassing is getting caught in no mans land miles outside your area and not only then trying to catch the ball, but protesting about the inevitable red card which nearly costs your team three points in a game in which they were cruising.

Griemink was probably at fault for the first goal, but his failure couldn't come quick enough for a lot of so-called supporters. Using 'logic' such as "Swindon booted him out for a reason" is complete and utter b******s. There's a reason why ALL of our players are playing 4th division football. If you want to use that logic please explain why no other team wanted to sign Flahavan when he has been out of contract. There have been at least three occasions when the supposed best shotstopper in the division has been out of contract and available for free, but apart from Brighton who had a look and thought better, the only other team to show an interest was Waterlooville.
Thanks for the truth at last.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Nov. 14 2004,00:19)]This is really hurting my head.  Alderton's no.1.  Final word

Oh yeah, and if it was Waterlooville you meant, they were a doomed club that later merged with Havant.  Realistically though, I think you meant Havant and Waterlooville cos Daryl was almost certainly at Southampton when they merged.
Doesn't it say it all when the only club to express a firm interest is so minor, nobody is quite sure what its name is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Nov. 14 2004,14:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Nov. 14 2004,00:19)]This is really hurting my head. Alderton's no.1. Final word

Oh yeah, and if it was Waterlooville you meant, they were a doomed club that later merged with Havant. Realistically though, I think you meant Havant and Waterlooville cos Daryl was almost certainly at Southampton when they merged.
Doesn't it say it all when the only club to express a firm interest is so minor, nobody is quite sure what its name is.
I only know cos I went to a few of their games last year! Otherwise wouldn't have the foggiest

Boston and Livingston were both after him, enough Darryl bashing! Besides didn't see a queue for Barts signature!

This is pathetic, we lost 3-0 so what. The first goal was soft, the second should've been handball but nobody was marking Howard so the defence gifted him the shot. Debatable whether it should've been saved. Can't really recall the third goal. Luton were a big, physical team and to be honest we looked a bit lightweight in comparison. Both the defence and the keeper made mistakes and we were punished.
Why does there need to be a witchhunt if we lose a game?

Second half we played a lot better and salvaged a bit of pride. We created a few chances but it wasn't our night. If you saw the stats at the end of the game we actually had more shots on target and more corners than Luton so we weren't that poor.
Disppointing to lose but I'd be a lot more p*ssed off if it was to non-league opposition.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Nov. 14 2004,20:59)]Boston and Livingston were both after him, enough Darryl bashing! Besides didn't see a queue for Barts signature!
As he signed for us knowing he would be second choice...they obviously didn't try very hard to sign him

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Nov. 15 2004,10:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thenewblue @ Nov. 14 2004,20:59)]Boston and Livingston were both after him, enough Darryl bashing! Besides didn't see a queue for Barts signature!
As he signed for us knowing he would be second choice...they obviously didn't try very hard to sign him
Or they didn't offer Flahavan as much cash.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As he signed for us knowing he would be second choice...they obviously didn't try very hard to sign him

They were still after him though, he would have been first choice at both of them as well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Or they didn't offer Flahavan as much cash.

They were still after him though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Nov. 15 2004,13:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Nov. 15 2004,10:35)]
[b said:
Or they didn't offer Flahavan as much cash.
as I said they didn't try to hard to sign him...

Heaven forbid I'm actually going to be optimistic, but I don't think we should be too down at the moment.

I couldn't get to the game as I was stuck at Uni, but me mam recorded it for me and I watched it on video. Yes, we were poor in the first half and let a couple of sloppy goals in, and maybe we were only on top for the second period as the game was effectively over, but I think that maybe the loss has done us some good.

Some people I have been talking too over the past couple of weeks seem to think we had got promoted already and were practically guaranteed a place in the third tier next season.

Hopefully Friday night may have shown them that there is still work to be done, but the nucleus of a side that can attain this is in place. This is the best Southend side I have watched for years, certainly since we have been in the bottom tier of the league, and so long as the players don't start believing in their own hype then promotion is a definite possibility.
I would hope that the team can look at the game on Saturday, see how Luton performed compared to us, learn from this and improve accordingly.

After all, I'd rather see Southend in 'League 1' next year than in the second round of the cup this.

And on the matter of giving stick to the team, stop it. It does not help the side, it can only decrease confidence and therefore performance. I can accept that people get frustrated when, for instance, Jupp misplaces another pass but why can't people discuss this in the pub afterwards as opposed to screaming expletives at the players. It is completely counter-productive.

Shrimpers Forever!

Back