• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Old chants you don't hear anymore.....

Desert Shrimper

The Oil Baron
I was just remembering being on the North Bank singing (to the tune of "Winter Wonderland")

Division 1 are you listening
Cos' The Blues are a coming...
Walking along
Singing a song
When The Blues are in Division 1

Happy memories
smile.gif

Anyone got any others?

Gary Poole
Gary Poole
Gary, Gary Poole
He gets the ball
And does f%&k all
Gary, Gary Poole

© North Bank c. 1993

The Football League
Is upside down
The Football League is upside down
We're going up with York City
The Football League is upside down

© North Bank c.1987

We want 11
We want 11
We want 11 ...

© North Bank 6 Nov 1990

You're getting wet
You're getting wet
We're not
We're not

© North Bank 26 Dec 1990

WS
Jávea

Who remembers Eric Nixon, the Tranmere Rovers goalkeeper who proved to a perfect foe for the North Bank. Long before the Ricketts saga, it was almost guaranteed that the North Bank could coax a couple of V-signs and a "w%&kers" out of Nixon every time we played them (which always seemed to be on a Friday night, adding to the magic of the time).

Of course now football has been sanitised, this sort of behaviour is unacceptable but I always remember the North Bank giving Nixon a little respect for lobbing back as much stick as he received ...

eric-nixon-warmup.jpg

I suppose the Ricketts saga can be compared but, in this case, the keeper in question is denying his actions and then playing the race-card to try and justify those actions which he has already denied (confused?!). Nixon, on the other hand, accepted the abuse and then dished out some of his own. If he would have ever been caught out (which back in those days would have been nothing more than a ticking-off from the referee) I doubt he would have made anything of it. But, of course, he's not black ...

WS

Hardly a chant, but what was the song that was played when we scored in the 1999-00 season, about Southend on sea?

1....2....3 We're the North bank, We're the North Bank, We're the North Bank of Roots Hall. 1...2...3... We're the North Bank etc etc.

Pat Scully is an International

Oh yes you know, oh yes you know. oh yes you know what you can do...etc etc

Bruno Bruno ! (pop quiz guys who did we sing that to and why?)

Gary Jones
Gary Jones
Gary, Gary Jones
He gets the ball
he goes offside
Gary, Gary Jones!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Dec. 17 2005,12:46)]Who remembers Eric Nixon, the Tranmere Rovers goalkeeper who proved to a perfect foe for the North Bank. Long before the Ricketts saga, it was almost guaranteed that the North Bank could coax a couple of V-signs and a "w%&kers" out of Nixon every time we played them (which always seemed to be on a Friday night, adding to the magic of the time).

Of course now football has been sanitised, this sort of behaviour is unacceptable but I always remember the North Bank giving Nixon a little respect for lobbing back as much stick as he received ...

I suppose the Ricketts saga can be compared but, in this case, the keeper in question is denying his actions and then playing the race-card to try and justify those actions which he has already denied (confused?!). Nixon, on the other hand, accepted the abuse and then dished out some of his own. If he would have ever been caught out (which back in those days would have been nothing more than a ticking-off from the referee) I doubt he would have made anything of it. But, of course, he's not black ...

WS
Remember the song:

Eric Nixon's illegitimate
He ain't got no birth certificate
Eric Nixon's illegitimate
He's a scousie *******!

I remember one time he gave away a penalty in front of the North Bank. We were giving him loads of stick.

He saved the penalty and treated us a to a hand gesture of a five knuckle shuffle type... only to find out that the ref was ordering the penalty to be taken again.

We gave him some stick.

Then he saved the penalty again!

Anyone else remember this?

Another 'keeper I remember getting loads of abuse from the North Bank was Keller when he played for Millwall (?).

Out of the many other players to get loads of stick from the North were Gary Birtles and the rather Crouch-alike Ormondroyd.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Dec. 17 2005,12:00)]Hardly a chant, but what was the song that was played when we scored in the 1999-00 season, about Southend on sea?
Cant remember it clearly but it went something like....

When the wheels go round as you lay your money down, there's a fortune to be found, and love is all around you in Southend-On-Sea....

Something like that anyway

Cant find anything on the web about it...

down.gif
glare.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Dec. 17 2005,12:14)]I remember one time he gave away a penalty in front of the North Bank. We were giving him loads of stick.

He saved the penalty and treated us a to a hand gesture of a five knuckle shuffle type... only to find out that the ref was ordering the penalty to be taken again.

We gave him some stick.

Then he saved the penalty again!

Anyone else remember this?
Remember it vividly yes, Dave Martin went to Nixon's left both times. This was the start of our (I believe existing) world record penalty-miss run. The git dived too early for the first pen and celebrated in front of the North Bank who greeted him with the deserved w***er signs when the referee ordered a re-take. Take a look at the video though and for the second penalty (a replica) he goes down even EARLIER.....I guess the referee didn't have the bottle to order another re-take. Still I believe we won 1-0 anyway thanks to a sensational "Oooh Andy Ansah" overhead kick in the first half.

One chant I do miss is "Yellows, Yellows" every time we got a corner - shame on those who got rid of our yellow shorts in the early 90's  
mad.gif

David Webb is magic, he wears a magic hat
He saw the 2nd divison and said im having that

Get your Tits out for the boys (To the Tea girls who used to walk in front of the north bank)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Dec. 17 2005,11:46)]Who remembers Eric Nixon, the Tranmere Rovers goalkeeper who proved to a perfect foe for the North Bank. Long before the Ricketts saga, it was almost guaranteed that the North Bank could coax a couple of V-signs and a "w%&kers" out of Nixon every time we played them (which always seemed to be on a Friday night, adding to the magic of the time).

eric-nixon-warmup.jpg

WS
The banter with Nixon was always a good 2 way thing, and despite the abuse he got i think he enjoyed his trips to roots hall. Ricketts on the other hand is a f%&king lying cheating c%&t.

Anyone remember Steve Sherwood getting loads of it in the early 90's? Beside the "Andy Gray" chants there were a few well-timed "I f%&ked your wife" shouts which (as a teenage boy) I thought were hilarious......
biggrin.gif

Ricketts had it easy!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ph437 @ Dec. 17 2005,12:05)]Bruno Bruno ! (pop quiz guys who did we sing that to and why?)
would that be derek payne, giving david speedy a clout against leicester city..........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yeovil_Shrimper @ Dec. 17 2005,18:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ph437 @ Dec. 17 2005,12:05)]Bruno Bruno ! (pop quiz guys who did we sing that to and why?)
would that be derek payne, giving david speedy a clout against leicester city..........
Ha ha, yeah spot on - I remember it as if it was yesterday!

There a circus in the town, in the town
Barry Fry is a clown, is a clown,
Karren Brady she is 24 (ha ha)
Birmingham are going down, going down

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ Dec. 17 2005,19:55)]Hoop-la, Hoop-la, Tra-la-la.
Play up, Shrimpers.
Ra! Ra! Ra!
Otherwise known as the officially sanctioned and approved chant allowed by the stewards at Roots Hall

biggrin.gif

Roy Roy Super Roy
Roy Roy Super Roy
Roy Roy Super Roy
Super Roy McDonough

Chicken in a basket Super Roy
Chicken in a basket Super Roy
etc. etc. repeat until Roy gave the old 'thumbs up'

yeah i remember Nixon having some good old fashioned harmless banter with the North Bankians, unlike that big poof Ricketts.

Warren Aspinal was always a good one for a two fingered salute and a bit of two way banter. He looked like one hard ******* as well and they dont make em like that anymore.

Back