• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Oldham Athletic v Southend United, Saturday 2nd March, 15:00 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 58 86.6%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 55 82.1%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 56 83.6%
  • Adam Crowther

• Nathan Ralph

• Jack Bridge

Votes: 56 83.6%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 47 70.1%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 44 65.7%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 57 85.1%
  • Marcus Dackers

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 38 56.7%
  • Henry Sandat

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • James Morton

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • David Martin

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • ….

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ….

• ….

• ….

• Win

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • Lose

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Three wins in a row, four games unbeaten and back up to mid-table, the place to go to continue our decent run is Boundary Park, home of former Premiership side, Oldham Athletic.

After a 2-1 win at Eastleigh on Tuesday night, Micky Mellon’s Latics side find themselves in 6th place in the National League on 56 points. Unusually they have gained more points (33) away from Boundary Park than at home (23), which is surprising considering the 4-0 spanking we gave them at Roots Hall in the opening game of the season.

Their win at Eastleigh on Tuesday night was their first in three following a draw at York and defeat at home to Phil Brown’s Kidderminster.

Overall, their form over the last six games is pretty similar to ours:

IMG_6895.jpeg

Shaun Hobson has been a regular starter for them at Centre Back this season, whilst one of the names from our famous white board, Andy Dallas, came off the bench on Tuesday night. They seem to have signed loads of strikers this season and it was one of those, the 35 year old veteran Joe Garner (signed from Carlisle at the end of January), who scored both goals at Eastleigh. At least if he plays Demi will have someone a similar age to mark!

Kevin Maher bucked his recent record by changing a winning side on Tuesday night - one of these was enforced with Ollie Kensdale having sustained a fracture to his eye socket in his eventful 100th game against Aldershot, however the other two were not, with him choosing to replace new boys Waldron and Morton with Dackers and Fonguck.

The defence was bolstered on Tuesday by the welcome return of Gus Scott-Morriss, but had a bit of a makeshift look with Demi having to slot in at centre back (which he did with customary aplomb).

It will be interesting to see whether the squad gets rotated again on Saturday - Noor Husin was looking a bit leggy on Tuesday night and Cav Miley again made some uncharacteristic errors so there may be a case for resting one (or both) of them and recalling Morton to the side and giving Oli Coker or Jack Wood a start.

Up top Danny Waldron was, I thought, a bit unlucky to be dropped on Tuesday, but his replacement Dackers had probably his best game since his return to the club so there’s another conundrum for Kev.

So who would you choose to start on Saturday in Greater Manchester, and what do you think the result will be?

Last edited:
As life is too short to trawl through all the Echo links regarding our injured players has anyone any updates on Taylor? Sure I saw somewhere that Kensdale may be out for a couple of weeks.

We seem to win a lot of the time when JD plays. Obviously some of it is coincidencental.
Cant see saturday will be a problem as its a far easier role on the legs at cenre back. However, I prefer him at RWB as i think we get more scoring opportunity

For what it's worth I would go with Waldron & Cardwell up front for this one. As the away side we might have to play more on the counter. Waldron on the shoulder of the last defender should allow us to transition quicker, as long as our midfielders spot the opportunities to play Waldron in behind. 😀

will be a really though test against a really solid Oldham side. Need to be up for this game or they will punish us heavily. James Norwood is back Saturday and everyone knows the quality he has

Oldham are improving under Micky Mellon but they are still rather uninspiring at home. Their fans forum seems to indicate they lack creativity, and are carrying quite a bit of deadwood. Could be an interesting game as the onus and expectation will be on the opposition and not on ourselves for once.

However, it's not in Maher's DNA to go away from home and try and frustrate. His teams try and win every game they play, and that may go against us on Saturday. Oldham do have quite a bit of quality in attack - it seems the issue is getting the ball to them. We will try and attack them and that will leave gaps. Then again, we have the best defence in the league, so we have every chance.

Oldham are improving under Micky Mellon but they are still rather uninspiring at home. Their fans forum seems to indicate they lack creativity, and are carrying quite a bit of deadwood. Could be an interesting game as the onus and expectation will be on the opposition and not on ourselves for once.

However, it's not in Maher's DNA to go away from home and try and frustrate. His teams try and win every game they play, and that may go against us on Saturday. Oldham do have quite a bit of quality in attack - it seems the issue is getting the ball to them. We will try and attack them and that will leave gaps. Then again, we have the best defence in the league, so we have every chance.
You bring up some very valid points. Got a few mates who are Oldham fans and they reckon it will be a close game they said the game will be decided in the first 10 minutes. They said they can’t handle the pressure of a press and panic when they are closed down. They said if we give them time they will win with the quality they have up front. They seem rather excited at the chance of Norwood returning although they seem to be doing fine without him at the minute. definitely a game where we need to be up for it or they will punish us.

Didn't they lose to kiddy when they had a big gate in?

I don't think we have much to fear if w continue to play with purpose, close the opposition down and move the ball quicky with first time balls into the box.

Weather forecast is not too good for Oldham. Hope they have the covers on.
Turned back twice in recent years…..

Didn't they lose to kiddy when they had a big gate in?

I don't think we have much to fear if w continue to play with purpose, close the opposition down and move the ball quicky with first time balls into the box.
Yes they did. They had 11k in the ground (ticket for a fiver or not, that is amazing for the 5th tier) but like us, didn't do well in front of the big gate.

It's simple, if we can keep up that press, we have a great chance of winning.

An away game past the Watford Gap boundary is always a bit of a lottery for us on the performance front. I'm hopeful that the SUFC that dominates and wins will turn up.

We did a pretty impressive number on them back in August and hopefully they will still be wary of us come ko. I reckon we will need to have both Cav and Morton patrolling the middle to give us some solidity and I'm also plumping for Harry C and Danny Waldron to lead the line.

A point would be good, and a win much better, just don't concede early and play the catch-up bollocks again eh?

An away game past the Watford Gap boundary is always a bit of a lottery for us on the performance front. I'm hopeful that the SUFC that dominates and wins will turn up.

We did a pretty impressive number on them back in August and hopefully they will still be wary of us come ko. I reckon we will need to have both Cav and Morton patrolling the middle to give us some solidity and I'm also plumping for Harry C and Danny Waldron to lead the line.

A point would be good, and a win much better, just don't concede early and play the catch-up bollocks again eh?

I've just done a quick check on that, and yes it isn't great at all.

Since we dropped into the NL, so far...

27 matches north of the Watford Gap (roughly)

6 Wins.
6 Draws.
5 Losses.

24 points from 81 on offer.
Win % = 22.

GF = 24
GA = 50

0.89 goals scored per game.
1.85 goals conceded per game.

Fair to say, If we are going to challenge at the right end of the table, that needs to improve massively. We seem to suffer nosebleeds and travel sickness north of the M25 really. Although obviously we must take into account the situation the players have been in since we dropped into the NL. Fingers crossed a trouble free pre-season, no financial difficulties and proper travel/accommodation/pre-match prep will help to alleviate at least some of these difficulties we have with long trips...

Injuries ( Taylor ,Kensdale) mean we have no choice but to field the same back 5.
Dackers played outstandingly well on Tuesday, but I feel Waldron will be more threatening for this difficult away fixture.
I’d start Miley, hoping he won’t keep conceding in dangerous areas,with Morton ready to replace him if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back