• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Orient JPT

Wasn't going to post but here's my two penneth worth anyway.

1. Mildenhall - Static to say the least. The argument he and Francis had just outside our six yard box after he should, but didn't, come for a right sided cross speaks volumes.

2. Sawyer - MOTM. Best player we had by far.

3. Barratt - NOT a left back, end of. He was the one at fault for the second when he didn't track their guy and left him in acres of space out wide and when he did realise he was woefully out of position and went to make amends he didn't get the challenge in and allowed him to take the shot and score.

Barbard - Runner up to MOTM - Tireless running and one of the few with any sort of commitment to the cause.

Can't be arsed to rate the others but suffice to say there was very very little creativity, no vision, a worrying lack of commitment to win the loose ball and above all they all seemed to be completely out of sync with one another.

If we're talking about defending, Barrett was worse than the lot I'm afraid! He played left back and I think I'm right in saying that every goal initially came from his side (even the penalty was crossed in from that side first)

Sawyer was excellent, tired a bit again at the end. HRK was good, the back 4 awful and everbody else was just OK.

Bottom line, our defence back off so much, we allow the opposition to shoot from close range. Bit like we did against Donny in the play offs!

Didn't go, so haven't seen the goals, but was it definitely Barrett at fault for the ball coming in from the left-hand side, or the fault of the player supposed to be playing in front of him. We had the same problem up at Walsall and it looked to be mainly the fault of the wingers failing to close down the full-back. Robson-Kanu really doesn't fill me with confidence when it comes to defending.

How did the Frenchies do on as sub?

Will we be seeing them again, or were they both panic signings?

Didn't go, so haven't seen the goals, but was it definitely Barrett at fault for the ball coming in from the left-hand side, or the fault of the player supposed to be playing in front of him. We had the same problem up at Walsall and it looked to be mainly the fault of the wingers failing to close down the full-back. Robson-Kanu really doesn't fill me with confidence when it comes to defending.

He is scared of geting too close, in case he gets mugged off. So he backs off and backs off........ He needs to make a challenge.

Liked the look of Christophe, got stuck in, showed some good passes and even made a burst down the left wing and got a good cross in on his wrong foot.

Laurent wasn't on the pitch long enough to touch the ball more than once but looked likely to fall over his own feet at any given second.

Not sure about Christophe, although I thought he looked lively but the first thing Laurent did if I recall correctly was to tackle two other Southend players who were also going for the same ball. Most likely some communication difficulties there :D

Felt the same when he was here last season, both full backs are being left to deal with things with very little midfield support. Do they attempt a tackle, which if it fails leaves them stranded or do they keep backtracking and hope to block? That's their choice, Grant's the only one who's been playing in midfield that gives any kind of defensive support.

Back