• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
I know we have this every year, but why do Southend United always appear to be slow in making signings whilst other clubs grab the bull by the horns.

Yes people are away but it hasn't stopped others getting in early doors.

I think it's because we're usually busy at the end of the season either in a relegation battle or (more recently) the play-offs and promotion.

All these mid table clubs with nothing to play for can start identifying targets and talking to agents in April.

Other clubs have had a month since the end of their season to identify targets and get deals done. We've had just over a week since our season ended, and before that we didn't know what division we were going to be in so it is no suprise we appear to be behind other teams.

As we don't see what is going on behind the scenes, it is always taken that we aren't doing anything. We could be talking to several players, but as none have signed it is perceived as nothing being done.

Hopefully we will have a few signings before our first pre-season friendly.

we seem to busy doing a league one review. Most other clubs even those who have been Involved in play offs have a least announced friendlies
Its the same every year but most players are away on hioliday now so cant see to much action anywhere until closer to pre season

Lots of players, staff and agents on holiday. Give it a couple of weeks, thats a long time in football

As we don't see what is going on behind the scenes, it is always taken that we aren't doing anything. We could be talking to several players, but as none have signed it is perceived as nothing being done.

Hopefully we will have a few signings before our first pre-season friendly.

In the past we have said we are after this player and that player and when it doesn't happen there has been a general up roar , that we are not doing enough

This situation is the same , just because we are not hearing anything , doesn't mean that we are not busy

I am sure that there is a list of players we wish to speak to or sign ...

Even we are not that niave..... ( and the abuse starts after 1...2....3....)

Lets give it time

Didn't we sign Myles Weston in early June last season?

Said this in another thread but anyone who thinks we're sitting back and letting other clubs get a march on us is naive. We will have identified targets (Brown said this in the Echo earlier) but things do tend to move slowly at this time of year. Some other clubs have made three or four signings, some haven't made any. It just depends whose on holiday and who isn't, I'm afraid.

Chill out and enjoy the summer. I'll be worried if we haven't signed anyone on August 7th.

we seem to busy doing a league one review. Most other clubs even those who have been Involved in play offs have a least announced friendlies
Its the same every year but most players are away on hioliday now so cant see to much action anywhere until closer to pre season

I'm no expert, but I don't think Phil Brown is busy doing a League One preview, or even a League Two review. Just a guess, but I don't think that and no signings have anything to do with each other.

Do feel we should move sooner sometimes. Not hard to put a plan A and plan B in place. Lot of decent players missing.

If for example we wanted Liam Sercombe from Exeter we should really have made a move at the same time Oxford did. Surely a L1 move is better than L2 if the money is right.

Whilst I accept a lot goes on in the background I have witnessed over the more recent years our inability to capture early on players we say we are interested or anybody much we haven't spouted about. In part this is I guess due to our squad engaged in play offs etc but equally, as it is claimed we pay top 8 wages, it is concerning how long we take to get anything done. Last years signings in the main came a bit late after trials and proved to be fairly naff.
With the release of probably top earners like Corr, Barny , Paul Smith, plus release of Ibenfeldt, Clifford Banton, Farrell, Cassidy, Pigott, Mc Laughlin, I assume we have a reasonable fist of dollars to make available. We also have £300k apparently for going up plus possibly the same from the play off run, or maybe a little less. Either way I dont think it makes us beggars, and Ron has dug deep ,but we are surely too sluggish?? Queue arguments for how much in wages we were or were not paying Loanees??
Also if we extend a players option I wonder if they have to accept current pay, plus the equivalent of just inflation, or get offered a better deal based on performance? Finally wondering about whether there is a basic level of pay increase in salary that has to be paid when you move up a division? To many questions and not enough answers as I feel the need to squeeze a tin of special brew? and calm, down, calm down!!

Being a pessimist I suspect that we will mainly be tracking players who have been released or are out of contract, invite them down to field as trialists in our pre season games and see how they fit into our team/ style of play & go from there... Isn't that what we normally do?

Really don't think we will see too many signings before then unless PB has definite targets that we can afford...

(Hope i am made to eat my words)

To be fair we are unlikely to be doing any transfer business while Phil Brown is on holiday & to be fair to him i think he deserves / needs a good holiday away from football. Relax a bit , top up the tan a bit more + get away from it all , then come back chilled , refreshed + ready to go again!!!

We dont want a washed up , stressed out manager making poor decisions, so let the geez take a holibob

Thought PB was back from his hols, believe he went to meet Barrett at Burton on Monday to discuss things?

I demand signings and now ffs!!!:angry:

Brown is orange enough as it is, surely a weeks holiday each year is suffice? :madman:

:net:

Back