• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Id keep white, he is a more experienced player than most at the club. I would go all out to get Clohessy back in, not sure he is in the thinking at Col Utd anymore after falling out with the manager. Sure he would come back given the chance of first team football. Only stumbling block to this might be Phil Brown

Phil Brown actually managed to convince him to stay only for RM to pull the contract so don't think there would be a problem there, although Phil being here next year or not might be a problem, or solution whichever way you look at it.

Hardly.His "fitness" has in fact been carefully managed over the last two seasons.

By fitness, I mean fit to play.. I'm not disputing it's been carefully managed and credit should go to Barry for that as he's the one who manages it after all. He's played in 32 of our 38 league games this year (he's missed at least 1 of those through suspension if I recall) and 2 of the cup games. He played in 51 games for us last year.

I would not mock the 'fitness' of someone who has made 85 appearances in 2 seasons.

One of Phil's major errors was to bring Weston, Barnard and Coulthirst in advising us that he recognised that we lacked a cutting edge upfront. Tango referenced their skill and pace, just what we needed, and how this would strengthen the squad and push for the automatics. Then he proceeded to stubbornly stick with them to nearly half way through the season, followed by Huge compliments about Barney being at his best, just before shipping him out. And so the saga continued. So I hope it's goodbye to Weston, Barnyard , as Coulthirst already gone. Wonder who will have oversight and make the final decision on the next 3 magical additions upfront? Has even Tango stopped calling Weston a striker? He references him more as a winger these days.
I would be surprised to see Ibenfeldts contract extended, but hope we keep the rest of the current squad , whilst adding more competition at right back. I definitely think Bolger will develop well given the opportunities. I remember Prosser didn't set the world alight early on?

Squad I can see next year:
GK:
Smith x 2 (and hopefully Bentley if we keep hold but unlikely)

Defenders:
White
Coker
JBW
Bolger
Thompson
Prosser
A.N. Other to cover RB/CB

Mids:
Timlin
Leonard
Weston (unless we can get rid, which I hope for)
Payne
Worrall
Hurst
A spoiling midfielder (maybe even Deegan)
A creative passer (Jack Bridge maybe)
Wing cover

Fwd:
Corr
Williams
A.N. Other pacy striker
A.N. Other targetman

GK:

Defenders:
White
Coker
JBW
Bolger
Thompson
Prosser

Mids:
Timlin
Leonard
Payne
Worrall
Hurst
Wing cover

Fwd:
Corr
Williams
A.N. Other pacy striker
A.N. Other targetman

Managed by a young, hungry, pacey manager?

GK:

Defenders:
White
Coker
JBW
Bolger
Thompson
Prosser

Mids:
Timlin
Leonard
Payne
Worrall
Hurst
Wing cover

Fwd:
Corr
Williams
A.N. Other pacy striker
A.N. Other targetman

Wouldn't disagree too much, but it's pretty much the exact squad that we have this season and is one that hasn't set the league on fire, with the exception of the addition of a creative passer in midfield.

Of course, this suggests that the problem doesn't lie with the players on the pitch - but I haven't seen enough games to know if that's true or not.

Wouldn't disagree too much, but it's pretty much the exact squad that we have this season and is one that hasn't set the league on fire, with the exception of the addition of a creative passer in midfield.

Of course, this suggests that the problem doesn't lie with the players on the pitch - but I haven't seen enough games to know if that's true or not.

Barnard going should free up enough wages for at least one of the strikers we get in to be top class, I hope.

Barnard going should free up enough wages for at least one of the strikers we get in to be top class, I hope.

I agree with this, I think Barnard's (and Eastwood before him) could have been better used in other areas of the squad.

Important to tie Payne and Bentley down for as long as possible. Lock their families in the basement if that's what it takes. They are absolute diamonds and we need to do everything we can to keep hold of them.

I agree with this, I think Barnard's (and Eastwood before him) could have been better used in other areas of the squad.

Important to tie Payne and Bentley down for as long as possible. Lock their families in the basement if that's what it takes. They are absolute diamonds and we need to do everything we can to keep hold of them.

Harris before that too. We need to give up with the expensive oldies as bar Goater, it has rarely worked out.

If it were possible the only players I'd keep would be Bentley, Coker, Prosser, Timlin, and Worrell and build a team round them. That said I'm sure we'll lose Bentley and Wozza in the close season. Time for a wholesale clear out I'm afraid.

Back