• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our Defending Is Poop- discuss

I don't think our defence is 'sh*t'. We've conceded a lot of goals in pre season because TIlly's tried lots of different combinations and we've had a few trialists too. I think our first choice defence is very good on paper. Barrett and Clarke I think will be one of the strongest defensive partnerships in the league, Gilbert looks very good and then we have Hammell, Francis or Hunt, all of whom are solid defenders. And of course they have Flavs behind them. I don't think Sodje will be missed at all, he made his fair share of mistakes. It's the strikers I'm most worried about, not the boys at the back.

I think Barrett and Clarke are adequate for this level but i think by christmas, Tilson would have dropped one of them and put in Richards/Liptak purely because we need a bit more height at the back and also because neither of them appear to have a great turn of pace to get back when other teams are on the counter.

SERIOUS POST ALERT

I am optimistic about the new season and am especially looking forward to hopefully beating Orient and mounting a decent challenge for promotion.

Yet it dawned on me this morning that unless we score 3 or 4 goals tomorrow we wont win. Why? Because we are bound to let in 2 or 3, especially against Orient

Most attention has been on our forwards and finding a replacement for Freddy. Yet, to be honest in preseason we haven't found goals hard to come by. The concern with our forward line masks the thing that is really worrying me- our defence. Last year we let in a ridulous amount, especially at home where it was comonplace for 3 to fly in (sometimes before half-time). However, preseason does not seem to have ironed out these problems and we have continued to ship goals. A good performance for our defence these days is only to concede twice.

So what's gone wrong? Our defence was strong in the two promotion years.
  • Is it personnel? Clarke, Hammell and Francis being last years new additions. Can Liptik, Richards and Gilbert solve the problems.
  • Is it lack of height? Will Tilson have the conviction to drop either Clarke or Barrett. My thoughts are that one will have to be sacrificed sooner rather than later.
  • Or is the system?
  • Or is it because we dont defend as a team?
  • Flahavan? Contrary to popular opinion I dont believe Lil Flavs is a Tilson favourite. He bought Bart to replace him three years back but he got injured and we've been eyeing a giant Reading keeper. No coincidence- Tilson knows this a weakness
Prove me wrong lads and keep a clean sheet.

You obviously never went to Chelmsford, the Reading giant in goal came for less than Flavs, not convinced Collis is too keen on crosses either!

And what do you think of the Reading keeper on crosses Mr.Clever Dick?

Surely the point of trial games is to see what he is like on things like crosses?
If he is no good on crosses we can expect to see no more of him and maybe other keepers to be tried in the reserves.

I think Barrett and Clarke are adequate for this level but i think by christmas, Tilson would have dropped one of them and put in Richards/Liptak purely because we need a bit more height at the back and also because neither of them appear to have a great turn of pace to get back when other teams are on the counter.

I agree wholeheartedly. But do we have to wait until Christmas to realise this? As far as I can see it, our best centre halves are Barrett and Clarke, yet by playing them together with Flavs we severely lack height- a weakness that even the weakest footballin teams can exploit. At our level, dealing with crosses and set-pieces is imperative and with this combination I fear we are buggered.

I agree wholeheartedly. But do we have to wait until Christmas to realise this? As far as I can see it, our best centre halves are Barrett and Clarke, yet by playing them together with Flavs we severely lack height- a weakness that even the weakest footballin teams can exploit. At our level, dealing with crosses and set-pieces is imperative and with this combination I fear we are buggered.

Buggered up front you mean, the defence and keeper is the least of our problems, Tilly is gonna try and justify getting Matt Harrold from Yeovil. Wayne Gray or Matt Harrold, who would you rather?

ps Good defences speak to each other. It might have been obvious to clear it, but a shout from the keeper prevents that first Col Ewe goal.

Rubbish, aweful defending full stop, the header was from the edge of the area and was short , far to short. That is the defenders CHOICE to head back from there, h is fault and his fault alone.

And to say we are bouncing back, not sure that fans are expecting that this season, but I will say again, you are talking about issues that and problems that for the 2007/08 season are as of yet unfounded !!!

Back