• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Outrage, Tilson gets a couple of things

We are back to pumping high balls into our strikers , a similar tactic to a couple of years ago when Roddy Norman was manager. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

Someone tell Maher to a) keep it on the ground and b) have the confidence to have a shot at goal and not pass the ball (and the blame) onto someone else.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Nov. 20 2005,11:12)]and not pass the ball (and the blame) onto someone else.
well said Ken - probably the most annoying thing he does is blame someone else for his sh!t pass, much like he did to Lawson yesterday

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 19 2005,23:31)]No.1 he refuses to let our without doubt classiest player Jay Smith start a game. To be honest i have had enough of seeing king Kev loop balls to Freddy and co. , waste of time! Jay is a playmaker who is likely to slot balls through that will create goals, Maher never will!
No.2 Get rid of nervous Nerys in goal, he is stuck in glue and the defence has looked a shambles ever since he came back. I know that he is forced upon us but blimey, he was selected by Tilly and Brush as the real deal and i cannot see us winning a game while he is in goal
1st Point I agree with.
Smith should have started today, for me in place of Bentley. In hindsight you would have had him in for Maher, who for me had his worst game for a couple of seasons.
The one thing with Smith though that I still think Tilson and Brush have a doubt with is fitness.
I asked Jay Smith at the meet the players day how close he thought he was to a place in the 1st team.
He said he needed match fitness but was hopefull of a place on the bench by Septmeber, he went on to add that he'd be lucky to get a 1st team place this side of christmas.

Yesterday I thought Griemink was fine, could do nothing with either goal, and he hardly had much else to do.
Every cross they put in he came for, one he managed to half punch away, the others he caught, he commanded the box very well yesterday.

For me the defence has looked a shambles since Barrett has lost form. Yesterday I thought he was back to near best, but Edwards didn't have the best of games. Thought Hunt was our best defender and I would seriously be considering a defence of:

Wilson Hunt Barrett Jupp

Anyway enough moaning, cos we are 3rd in a season I would settle for 20th.

I'd also disagree about Wiggy spouting rubbish on his points made, its his/her opinion of the goalie and he has a point about Smith.
But Wiggy it would be nice to see you posting something positive when we are playing well, and remember we are 3rd, 3rd!!!
surely even you can't believe that.

I realise this is a messageboard, but some people do come out with some complete bull. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the starting eleven yesterday, that is the team I would have picked. I thought we had an OK first-half, had we taken our chances, the 3 points would have easily been ours. Eagle had a few chances yesterday for example.

I feel there was definitely a couple of significant difficulties within our team yesterday. After there first goal went in, we had absolutely no hope in equalising. Our heads dropped, and they were skinning us in every area of the field. It was only towards the end when we were 2 goals down (similar to Swansea) that we actually started to pile on the pressure.

Bentley did OK for me yesterday, I think his contribution is important. Eastwood was definitely off the pace, but I thought Gray had a good game. JCR was the only other player that deserves a mention for his efforts, though Barrett coped well on many occassions. I felt sorry for Cole, didn't have the best of games but some of the balls fed to him by Wilson week in week out... not hospital passes, just simply poor passes.

The chant "You've come all this way for f%&k all" maybe relevant to some fans, but Friday night in Nottingham was a classic!

Two difficult fixtures, come away with nothing and we are still in a promotion spot. Plus Tilly will draw many positives from that match yesterday, for instance there were a couple of occassions where we put a series of excellent passes together, keeping possession and keeping calm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Nov. 20 2005,11:12)]We are back to pumping high balls into our strikers , a similar tactic to a couple of years ago when Roddy Norman was manager. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

Someone tell Maher to  a) keep it on the ground and b) have the confidence to have a shot at goal and not pass the ball (and the blame) onto someone else.
Spot on.  Forest seemed to have one tactic - pumping long to Taylor to flick on for Tyson to run on to.  Very disappointed with their style of football (Cloughie will be turning in his grave)  For some reason we were dragged into playing exactly the same, except neither of our strikers are built for this style.  Gray and Eastwood both do best with the ball at their feet, so why we pumped endless long balls forward I will never know.  For ten minutes in both halves we passed around on the floor and looked different class - why don't we do it all the time?

The main problem at the moment is that we are seriously one sided.  JCR was a constant threat in the first half, linking well with Hunt.  Second half he was marked by two men whenever he got the ball.  Trouble is we don't use the left side at all.  Mitchell Cole is redundant for 90% of games.  Sadly this is down to the lack of attacking ability of Che Wilson.  

To maintain our push to the play offs we need a left back who is going to contribute in the opposition half.  Che has been a great servant, and will remain a good defender, but the step up in quality demands a more attacking defender who will help Cole and provide a more balanced team in the attacking half.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Nov. 20 2005,08:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 20 2005,00:31)]he was selected by Tilly and Brush as the real deal and i cannot see us winning a game while he is in goal
So the wins against Bristol City and Barnet - both away by the way - were figments of our excitable imagination then?

WS
Both in spite of him not because of him. He was shocking against Barnet. I have absolutely no confidence in him at all, and from the look of it neither do our defence. The sooner Flavs is back the better - a much better shot stopper, better distribution and when he comes for crosses (which he does more of these days) generally gets to them unlike Bart who seems to fumble at everything!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kim Mitten @ Nov. 20 2005,12:16)]Yesterday I thought Griemink was fine, could do nothing with either goal, and he hardly had much else to do.
Every cross they put in he came for, one he managed to half punch away, the others he caught, he commanded the box very well yesterday.
Griemink is FAR too hesitant in most situations (most notably when Hunt dug us out of a hole with the Tyson interception 1st half which Bart really should have dealt with himself). Flapped at one cross with a poor punch and generally looked shaky IMO - every time the opposition attacks he scares the hell out of me TBH.

Griemink is adequate cover for Flavs (much like Jupp is for Hunt) but shouldn't be 1st choice when both are fit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 20 2005,11:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Nov. 20 2005,09:16)]c) Cole needs much more time and really doesn't have a relationship at all with Che
Unlike Leeboy  
biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

I only wish I'd brought a camera for the half-time fun.

laugh.gif

I'd just like to publicly confirm that Barry Harris was on his feet clapping like a demented seal when Che made that tackle in the first half. I have to be honest I think he was still applauding Maher for some magic a couple of minutes beforehand.
cool.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Nov. 20 2005,09:16)]but it strikes me that whilst two wingers may be a bold attacking move you need to have a more competitive midfield.
Spot on and thats why having Benno and Gutts in the midfield together (Benno right side) during most of our winning run was so important to us. For me that run was predominantly built on the competitiveness of the midfield and not lettiing the opposition have any time on the ball, Benno and Guttridge in particular putting in strong challenges and generally intimidating the opposition with their physical presence. It's no surprise that during this run Maher was able to spray the ball about and generally run the game because of this.

Thats why Jay must start with Kev at Vale with Benno right and JCR left, Cole has been a liability recently.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Nov. 21 2005,09:47)]Thats why Jay must start with Kev at Vale with Benno right and JCR left, Cole has been a liability recently.
100% spot on. I'm afraid those who said we started with the right 11 on Saturday are mistaken. Cole looks (a) unfit and (b) lost. He needs a spell on the bench & in the stiffs to rebuild his fitness and his confidence.

Should have had JCR on the left, and Smith, Maher and Benno in the midfield winning the battles.

As for Gower... do me a favour. He came on late in the second half and was blowing out of his @rse after 5 minutes. He needs to shape up or ship out.

As for criticism of Bart... what are you on wiggy? Do we have any other fit keepers at the club at the moment? No. So f***ing get behind him!

Really worried about our total absence of pace in defence, Lewis Hunt aside.

Finally - and I know this is SZ heresy but I'll say it anyway: the reason that Adam Barrett isn't playing that well is that he hasn't got Spinner alongside him. Eagle may be a great defender, but unlike Spinner, he isn't a leader on the pitch.

The sooner we get Spinner back the better, IMHO.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 19 2005,23:31)]No.2 Get rid of nervous Nerys in goal, he is stuck in glue and the defence has looked a shambles ever since he came back. I know that he is forced upon us but blimey, he was selected by Tilly and Brush as the real deal and i cannot see us winning a game while he is in goal
Not at Bristol City then ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 19 2005,23:40)]Care to comment, is Smith quality but unable to get a start and is Bart the most un confident keeper ever seen at the Hall?
Exactly how many Southend goalkeepers have you seen......

Emberson, Prudhoe, Steele, Capleton, Southall, keeley were all worse than Bart, and thats without me even having to think about it

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 21 2005,13:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Nov. 19 2005,23:40)]Care to comment, is Smith quality but unable to get a start and is Bart the most un confident keeper ever seen at the Hall?
Exactly how many Southend goalkeepers have you seen......

Emberson, Prudhoe, Steele, Capleton, Southall, keeley were all worse than Bart, and thats without me even having to think about it
I'd add Gay, Robinson and Margetson to that list.

Matt

No I agree , but it also means that he is most definately not "the most un confident keeper ever seen at the Hall"

However, I am also struggling to think of a better reserve keeper (apart from when Royce / Sammy) in the time I have been going (and I wager thats longer than the time Wiggy has been breathing)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 21 2005,15:13)]No I agree , but it also means that he is most definately not "the most un confident keeper ever seen at the Hall"

However, I am also struggling to think of a better reserve keeper (apart from when Royce / Sammy) in the time I have been going (and I wager thats longer than the time Wiggy has been breathing)
Graham Horn understudy to Mervyn Cawston;or

Sean Rafter understudy to Malcolm Webster.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Nov. 21 2005,15:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 21 2005,15:13)]No I agree , but it also means that he is most definately not "the most un confident keeper ever seen at the Hall"

Graham Horn understudy to Mervyn Cawston;or

Sean Rafter understudy to Malcolm Webster.
I think I would go with Sean Rafter, Horn I am not so sure.

Wiggy, who was better, Horn, Rafter or Bart ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 21 2005,17:19)]Wiggy, who was better, Horn, Rafter or Bart ?
What's to stop Wiggy answering the question? She always gives her expert opinion when she doesn't know the facts.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Nov. 21 2005,16:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 21 2005,17:19)]Wiggy, who was better, Horn, Rafter or Bart ?
What's to stop Wiggy answering the question? She always gives her expert opinion when she doesn't know the facts.

rock.gif
I can see this all ending in an (incomplete) Tweedy poll. Who is our best ever reserve goalkeeper?
wow.gif

Back