• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
My first game of the new season and I am buzzing. I have missed watching football. The last game I went to was the wembley final.

I would like to see a line up of:

Bentley
White Phillips Prosser Coker
Hurst Leonard Atkinson Straker
Corr Eastwood

I have gone for this team as I haven't seen them play together this season and with injuries think that is our strongest. I don't know if Phillips and Eastwood will start due to injuries but we shall see.

Hoping for a win but Oxford away is a tough game so would take a draw.

................................bentley...............................
White..........thompson........prosser.......coker
hurst...........leonard.........atkinson.....straker
....................corr..........woodrow.....................

Lucky 2-1 win , goals from woodrow + sub reid

I would like to see Timlin play, but based on PB's comments earlier in the week...it looks unlikely.

Payne instead of Straker for me...

Bench would be Smith, Freddie, Phillips, Straker and Timlin.....otherwise, as per Danburyshrimper's selection

Bentely
White - Phillips - Prosser - Coker
Hurst - Leonard - Atkinson - Straker
Eastwood - Corr​

Bentley
Hurst - Leonard - Atkinson - Timlin
Eastwood - Corr

i fear for us in this game, we are playing a team in form and we need to improve big time, a solid first 30 mins is a must for us if we are to get something out of this one, im going for oxford 3 southend 1, do hope im wrong.

Given Browns comments this week cannot see him dropping Straker. Agree with Payne coming on later - just need to hit the back of the net! Have a feeling he is itching to play Craig Reid!! We shall see!!

2-0 to us Eastwood,Straker att;6,674 we breeze it,everything is right in the world and there is a God in heaven,come on you mighty mighty Shrimpers.:loyalsupporter:

On the face of it its a strait forward defeat, but Southend pull of wins in the most unlikely places. So im going for a 2 1 win.

Enjoy it Ricey, will be interested to hear your views if you've not seen us this season!

I've not looked at any news so don't know how near Phillips or Eastwood are. Of the two, I think Eastwood is the more likely to feature, it's not often Phillips comes back so quickly.

I agree with those who've said bring Payne on to expose worn out defenders, but for me, I'd have Timlin wide left and can't really understand why he's not featuring more. Everything that was said at the Q&A seemed to indicate that Brown wanted him fit, and I'd have thought he should be by now.

This is what I'd like to see:

Bentley
White, Phillips, Prosser, Coker
Hurst, Atkinson, Leonard, Timlin
Corr, Eastwood

but, I would expect that Thompson will replace Phillips and Straker Timlin. Equally, Woodrow could start instead of Eastwood.

Whatever happens, hope it's a good performance with a result in our favour. A win would rejuvenate the enthusiasm for a few players and supporters.

Hope im wrong but going for 3-0 Oxford. They are decent going forward and have pace. That's a recipe for disaster when you have Prosser at the back.

Bentley

Hurst - Leonard - Atkinson - Straker

Corr - Reid

As much as I would like to see Timlin play wide left, Oxford have a right winger called Ryan Williams who has pace to burn and will most likely eat Timlin alive; so it has to be Straker.

Reid deserves a chance in my opinion and by all accounts it sounds like he did very well against Col Ewe, but think Woodrow may well start instead.

Hope im wrong but going for 3-0 Oxford. They are decent going forward and have pace. That's a recipe for disaster when you have Prosser at the back.

Delighted to be so wrong. What a fantastic result. I will be writing some more negative previews for the next games

Back