• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
Paintball in the official online magazine of the JPT. Here's some articles from the latest version:

Managerial merry-goround in Southend dugout

A lot of the focus will be on Southend’sdugout at Wembley for the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final against Crewe.Confusion reigned at Roots Hall with exactly two weeks to go until the showpiece finale when chairman Ron Martin announced that boss Paul Sturrock had been sacked but would return to take charge at Wembley on April 7.

The Scot himself then confirmed that he will not only be leading the team out but would also be taking training in the build-up and picking the team. That threatened to provide an unprecedented situation after Phil Brown was confirmed as the Shrimpers’ new manager 24 hours later, starting his reign with an Easter double-header in npower League Two. Yet Sturrock subsequently turned down the opportunity four days later in the best interests of Southend, meaning Brown will now take charge. “I will still be going to the game at Wembley, but with the fantastic supporters of the football club who have been brilliant to me during my three years at Southend,” Sturrock said.

“We will have a few beers, enjoy the day, and hope the team can win against Crewe.” Crewe boss Steve Davis admitted he found the initial decision by the Southend hierarchy to bring Sturrock back for the final a “strange” one and spoke of the high regard in which he holds for the man he outmanoeuvred in last season’s League Two play-off semi-final.

"I like Paul,” he said. “I got to know him quite well in last season's playoffs and he was the first manager on the phone to congratulate us on winning promotion which was a great gesture. I have a lot of time and respect for him. "I'm not sure how Phil will perceive everything but all we can do when the final comes around is focus on ourselves and make sure we are right."

He added: “The younger boys will learn a lot from a return to Wembley. It’s going to be a great occasion, a great day for the town to get down there and support the club and an opportunity to win a cup competition.”

Reeves all ready for his crowning moment

Ben Reeves is preparing for the crowning moment of his loan move from Southampton to Southend United – a trip to Wembley for the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final. Reeves, on a temporary stay at Roots Hall from the Premier League club, grabbed the dramatic last minute winner as his side edged past Leyton Orient in the Southern Area Final in February.

The 21-year-old is thriving on the chance to get regular football under his belt with the Blues, particularly with Sunday’s showpiece occasion looming on the horizon. “I’m enjoying the loan spell at Southend,” said Reeves. “I’ve had quite a bit of game time which has been a big thing for me. Hopefully the more and more I play, the more I can show people what I can bring to the team.

“It’s massive for everyone to play in a big occasion at Wembley. Some players go through their whole careers without doing it so it’s great to get the chance at such a young age. “There has been a good turnout at all the events before Wembley and it sounds like there will be more than 30,000 going to the game itself. “It’s huge for everyone in Southend and it will be great to see all the supporters there.”

Having beaten Brentford and Orient on the route to Wembley, Southend are confident they can claim a third npower League 1 scalp on the big stage.

“Crewe are a good team and play really good football but it’s a cup final and anyone can win it,” concluded Reeves.

Luke lapping up Wembley chance

Helping Southend United seal their spot in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy Final has already provided defender Luke Prosser with his career highlight – but he is confident the events of Sunday will far exceed that.

The Blues booked their first appearance in a showpiece final at the national stadium in the most dramatic fashion possible, courtesy of a last-minute strike from Ben Reeves in the second leg of their Southern Area Semi-Final against Leyton Orient.

Prosser – a former Tottenham Hotspur youngster – admitted the joyous scenes which followed at Roots Hall provided a long-lasting memory, but believes it will be eclipsed by the sight of Southend being backed by in excess of 30,000 fans against Crewe Alexandra at Wembley.

“The Area Final was fantastic,” said 24-year-old Prosser. “To win it in the last minute must have been really nerve-wracking for the fans but, with all the excitement, it was probably the best possible way to get there. “The reaction of everyone at full-time was fantastic but the three or four lads in our dressing room who have played at Wembley say it will be 10 times better when the Final comes around. “It’s something everyone is looking forward to. The Johnstone’s Paint Trophy is a fantastic tournament to be involved in for lower League players. “It’s a realistic chance to get to Wembley. We are delighted to have managed to do that and hopefully we can go all the way and win it now.” With Crewe plying their trade one level higher in npower League 1, the Blues will have to overturn the odds once again to walk away from Wembley with the Trophy.

But, having already seen off Orient over two legs and Brentford, Prosser is confident Southend can again claim a higher division scalp.

“We know it will be a really tough game but we have beaten League 1 teams this season and that gives us confidence,” he added.

“We beat Crewe twice in the League last season but they knocked us out of the Play-Offs.

“They went on to win the Play-Off Final (against Cheltenham) quite comfortably so they have that Wembley experience, but hopefully we can perform as we know we can on the day and get the right result.”

Six to watch out for at Wembley (three from each club)

Ryan Cresswell
The imposing centreback has been an integral part of Southend’s success this season. As well as proving his worth as a mainstay at the heart of the Shrimpers’ defence, Cresswell has chipped in with eight goals to help play his part in the final third. Two of those have come in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy and do not rule out a third coming in the final at Wembley.

Kevan Hurst
The winger was then manager Paul Sturrock’s first signing last summer following his release by Walsall. Hurst has since become one of the first names on Southend’s teamsheet having played in all but one of the club’s fixtures this season, finding the net six times in the process including the winner in the Southern Area quarter-final success over Brentford. Fans can expect a lively performance from the versatile 27-year-old.

Britt Assombalonga
The on-loan Watford striker has been a revelation for Southend this season, spearheading the Essex club’s promotion charge alongside Gavin Tomlin. The 20-year-old found the net nine times in his first 14 appearances for the Shrimpers, although goals dried up somewhat over the middle third of the season while he missed all of January due to injury. Yet Assombalonga still has 15 goals to his name and will need to be watched closely by Crewe’s defence.

There are also a few articles that I couldn't reformat, so I taken snapshots of them:

ref.JPGBC1.JPGBC2.JPGPS.JPG

Back