• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Palace Poppies

Lord Football

Blues on Tour
It may surprise some, but I believe Remembrance Sunday and the wearing of poppies is an essential element in the education of children and is something we should all support. I don't get as excited as some about it, but I understand what an emotive issue it is for those who have family and friends in the forces, are in the forces or have lost people in conflict.

I may disagree with the reasons behind our most recent wars, but that doesn't mean I should not show support to those people who daily risk their lives or have lost their lives in previous conflicts.

Therefore, I was somewhat surprised to see one of the Dailys today announcing that staff at Buckingham Palace are not permitted to wear poppies so to avoid the risk of upsetting foriegn ambassadors. I'd like to think this was just another media lie, as in essence it says that The Queen (for she is the Employer) is a hypocrite. On the one hand she will be laying the wreath at the Cenotaph tomorrow whilst on the other she stops her staffing wearing a poppy at work.

Confused? I certainly was.

Only just seen this and surprised no-one else has picked up on it. That sounds a strange one to me, I would have thought the number of foreign ambassadors that it might possibly upset is so tiny that it simply can't be true - however, in this age of political correctness, who knows?

Does the same also apply in the Foreign Office then, in which staff are much more likely to come into contact with these emotionally weak ambassadors?

As to the comment there about children, I can report that certainly at the schools which I have contact with, the RBL tray went round every day last week, with children bringing in cash to get their poppies.

Back