• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pass back rule

sufc_stu

Coach
Just in case anyone else didn’t understand why the ref didn’t give a free kick for a blatant pass back yesterday!

Decision 3

Subject to the terms of Law 12, a player may pass the ball to his own goalkeeper using his head or chest or knee, etc. If, however, in the opinion of the referee, a player uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play in order to circumvent the Law, the player is guilty of unsport-ing behaviour. He is cautioned, shown the yellow card and an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team from the place where the infringement occurred. * (see page 3)
A player using a deliberate trick to circumvent the Law while he is taking a free kick is cautioned for unsporting behaviour and shown the yellow card. The free kick is retaken.
In such circumstances, it is irrelevant whether the goalkeeper subse-quently touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is com-mitted by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of Law 12.

Taken from the FIFA web site!

rock.gif

certainly had me confused stu!! didnt realise a knee was indeed deemed a legal backpass, do now though, so wont be giving any official a piece of my mind if this occurs again!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Aug. 31 2004,16:44)]so wont be giving any official a piece of my mind if this occurs again!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
and the 3,000 others that didn’t realise! But to be fair the ref was shocking any way so he deserved it!
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufc_stu @ Aug. 31 2004,16:34)]Just in case anyone else didn’t understand why the ref didn’t give a free kick for a blatant pass back yesterday!

Decision 3

Subject to the terms of Law 12, a player may pass the ball to his own goalkeeper using his head or chest or knee, etc. If, however, in the opinion of the referee, a player uses a deliberate trick while the ball is in play in order to circumvent the Law, the player is guilty of unsport-ing behaviour. He is cautioned, shown the yellow card and an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team from the place where the infringement occurred. * (see page 3)
A player using a deliberate trick to circumvent the Law while he is taking a free kick is cautioned for unsporting behaviour and shown the yellow card. The free kick is retaken.
In such circumstances, it is irrelevant whether the goalkeeper subse-quently touches the ball with his hands or not. The offence is com-mitted by the player in attempting to circumvent both the letter and the spirit of Law 12.

rock.gif
So, if I've got that right then...

It is against the laws to PASS BACK from a free kick, regardless of whether the keeper picks it up or not then?

You learn something new every day...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufc_stu @ Aug. 31 2004,16:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Aug. 31 2004,16:44)]so wont be giving any official a piece of my mind if this occurs again!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
and the 3,000 others that didn’t realise! But to be fair the ref was shocking any way so he deserved it!
wink.gif
Have you tried to referee with a headache ?

To be fair I think he was one of the better referees we've seen down here for a while. He was trying to play the advantage where possible and it backfired on him a couple of times. He's already been proved right on the "backpass" and was generally happy to let hard, fair tackles go where too many whistle happy refs would have blown up. He also only used his book when absolutely necessary.

The only real howler he made was not booking Dudfield's challenge on Fettucini.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Aug. 31 2004,17:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufc_stu @ Aug. 31 2004,16:34)]Just in case anyone else didn’t understand why the ref didn’t give a free kick for a blatant pass back yesterday!

Decision 3

rock.gif

It is against the laws to PASS BACK from a free kick, regardless of whether the keeper picks it up or not then?

No... You can pass back WITHOUT attempting a trick and that is fine.... but the keeper can't pick it up, as with any pass back. It is the attempt to circumvent the law, i.e. by using a trick so that the ball is passed back to the keeper by a bit of the body that isn't the feet that is being targeted.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Aug. 31 2004,17:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Aug. 31 2004,17:28)]
[b said:

Decision 3

rock.gif

No... You can pass back WITHOUT attempting a trick and that is fine.... but the keeper can't pick it up, as with any pass back.  It is the attempt to circumvent the law, i.e. by using a trick so that the ball is passed back to the keeper by a bit of the body that isn't the feet that is being targeted.
Aha... now having read it properly I can see that.

Thanks shrimp in a kilt

I would imagine a "trick" in this instance is if the player has the ball on the ground and chips it straight up (as if starting a game of keepy uppy) and then knees/chests/heads the ball back to the keeper.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Aug. 31 2004,18:58)]I would imagine a "trick" in this instance is if the player has the ball on the ground and chips it straight up (as if starting a game of keepy uppy) and then knees/chests/heads the ball back to the keeper.....
Correct

biggrin.gif

I thought this law was to prevent needless timewasting as can be seen in old 1970's Liverpool or Arsenal footage. Clued up footballers..."if they exsist" ...will now perfect the use of knees and shoulders (or is that handball) and heads to pass back, what's the point?

Back