• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Paterson Staying

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
Striker Matt Paterson has said that he never considered quitting Roots Hall and Southend United.

11 of the players signed to the Club at the end of last season have either been released or decided their future is away from the Blues.

But former Southampton forward Paterson was more than happy to commit himself to next season following a discussion with boss Paul Sturrock.

“The manager spoke to me and I said I was more than happy to stay and fight for my place at Southend,” said Paterson, 20.

“I want to get this team back into the division it deserves to be in, I was more than happy to stay.

"I think we needed a fresh outlook on things.

"You can’t dwell on the past and we must just keep working as hard as we can.

“If we can keep this team going we can push for promotion.”

Sturrock is already well underway with drafting in reinforcements following his arrival three weeks ago.

The ex-Plymouth boss has already signed 12 new players to complement those already at the Club, with further recruits on their way.

But with such a turn around of personnel Paterson is now considered one of the elder statesmen.

“I see in the newspapers ‘Old boy Paterson’ and I have only been here six months,” he joked.

“It has been a crazy few weeks and even I have felt like I am a trialist at times.

“But the gaffer has managed to add a lot of good quality so far which has been good for the squad.”

Currently the Blues leading scorer in pre-season, Paterson has already scored twice.

That included a penalty against Derby County and a late equaliser against Salisbury City last Friday.

With two more pre-season outings remaining before United’s kick-off to their npower League Two campaign, Paterson is hopeful of forcing his way into the starting line-up against Stockport County on 7th August.

“Getting a couple of goals in pre-season always helps with the confidence,” said Paterson who moved to Roots Hall from Southampton in January.

“Taking that form into the season will give me a lift and hopefully I can continue along those lines.

“The whole idea at the moment is to get as fit as I can and get a couple of goals to make sure I am in the starting eleven against Stockport when the season starts.”

Excellent news. His and Grant's commitment is commendable given the turmoil they've witnessed over the last six months and, coincidentally, they're two of the more naturally gifted players we have at our disposal.

If Paterson gets regular football, he's more than capable of notching 10-15 goals next season.

He reminds me a lot of Andy Thomson in a way. Naturally gifted, lightweight, but you can see him going on a streak and getting 8 goals in 10 games or something...

Were we watching the same Paterson last season? I'll be shocked if he gets 8 tbh

Totally agree, very poor imo, Crawford on the other hand has some potential based on what I saw briefly last season. On Spencer the jury is out, has talent if he can get in the right mindset.

He reminds me a lot of Andy Thomson in a way. Naturally gifted, lightweight, but you can see him going on a streak and getting 8 goals in 10 games or something...

I can't see that, hope I'm wrong. I expect him to get between 10 and 15 that ESB mentioned for the season.
The only striker that has the potential for a lot of goals is Spencer IMO. I'm sure that Paul Sturrock knows that we haven't got a 22+goals per season striker that you need to finish in the top three.

I can't see that, hope I'm wrong. I expect him to get between 10 and 15 that ESB mentioned for the season.
The only striker that has the potential for a lot of goals is Spencer IMO. I'm sure that Paul Sturrock knows that we haven't got a 22+goals per season striker that you need to finish in the top three.

Which is presumably why he went for Akinfenwa so hopefully there is someone else on the way at some point, be it on loan when the embargo is finally lifted or permanently.

Delighted the younster is staying. I am still aware of interest from Charlton and Bournemouth, but I hope we get at least a season out of him. I think he is a 10 - 15 goal striker, but I also think he will create a lot of chances for us, he has good feet.

I would like to see him and Spencer started together for a few games, just to see how well they compliment each other.

I like the look of young Pato. He is still young and needs a few steaks and to get on the weights but his natural ability is clearly there. I think it may have been the Stockport game when he pulled off a fantastic bit of skill in the corner to beat two players and get a cross in, and there was that excellent angled volley which the keeper had to save IIRC. Has already got a few first team goals as well in a struggling team, he will do well next season if he can get a bit more physical.

I think the key is consistency, he may be able to pull something miraculous every so often but we need him to be more on his game than off. For the jury is still out, as until that Stockport game I thought he was quite poor and his decision making was not what I expected and his turn of pace was a worry. If he can be the player that played in the Stockport game then i will be very happy.

I'll give odds of Matt paterson to get a hat-trick in a league game at any point throughout the season at 3-1. Any takers. Max Bet £100.

Excellent news. His and Grant's commitment is commendable given the turmoil they've witnessed over the last six months and, coincidentally, they're two of the more naturally gifted players we have at our disposal.

If Paterson gets regular football, he's more than capable of notching 10-15 goals next season.

Bang on.

I'm a big fan of Paterson, and think we have a real player on our hands there. He is an intelligent striker, and with the right partner, I think he could really flourish.

Totally agree, very poor imo, Crawford on the other hand has some potential based on what I saw briefly last season. On Spencer the jury is out, has talent if he can get in the right mindset.

On the premise that Paterson scored more goals than Crawford I'd say he showed more potential as a goal scorer. Don't be led into "Johnny Herd Syndrome" because he came through our system doesn't make him a good player.

FWIW I think Paterson did ok, considering he came into a losing side, replacing our top scorer, a side that was on the slide, with players not being paid their dues by the club. I'd wager you with the stake going to Little Havens that Paterson will score more than Crawford next season.

I like Paterson and a lot of Southampton fans were disappointed to see him go. We've only seen glimpses of his abilty so far, when he came on against Stockport last season and hit a superb volley from a very awkward angle and only an equally superb save provented the net from rippling. He can be a real threat in this league providing a good run in the side.

Ayrshire Blue said:
I like Paterson and a lot of Southampton fans were disappointed to see him go. We've only seen glimpses of his abilty so far, when he came on against Stockport last season and hit a superb volley from a very awkward angle and only an equally superb save provented the net from rippling. He can be a real threat in this league providing a good run in the side.
The 15 minute cameo against Stockport convinced me that he's good enough. Not only the volley you mentioned, but also the great piece of skill and cross that led to Macca's goal.

The 15 minute cameo against Stockport convinced me that he's good enough. Not only the volley you mentioned, but also the great piece of skill and cross that led to Macca's goal.

Whilst both of those bits of play was excellent, I was most impressed with him against Charlton at home. Yes, his goal was a massive slice of luck, but he all round performance and work ethic was excellent to see, especially with 10 men and coming off the back of losing to a 137th minute goal against Norwich only 3/4 days earlier.

All three are kids, who were being dropped in and out of a very bad side playing with no confidence at all. Don't people look at Gary Hooper and think that maybe we should wait until after a player has had a run of matches in the side before we rush to reach a conclusion on their ability and potential?

Whilst both of those bits of play was excellent, I was most impressed with him against Charlton at home. Yes, his goal was a massive slice of luck, but he all round performance and work ethic was excellent to see, especially with 10 men and coming off the back of losing to a 137th minute goal against Norwich only 3/4 days earlier.

Yep, that performance stood out for me too. My old man came down for that game having been exiled in Yorkshire and it was the first time he'd seen an awful lot of the squad (given the upheaval and injuries) and he echoed the sentiments precisely, saying that on that performance, he was probably the most intelligent striker, bar Freedman, he'd seen at Southend for a while.

I can't understand the excitement about Crawford though... He doesn't have blistering pace, he doesn't place his shots and he doesn't have the height or strength to outmuscle defenders. He's a grafter who hassles defenders into mistakes and, barring one flash of skill to set-up M'voto's goal against Oldham at the end of last season, I haven't seen much from him to make me think he'll come on leaps and bounds.

Yep, that performance stood out for me too. My old man came down for that game having been exiled in Yorkshire and it was the first time he'd seen an awful lot of the squad (given the upheaval and injuries) and he echoed the sentiments precisely, saying that on that performance, he was probably the most intelligent striker, bar Freedman, he'd seen at Southend for a while.

I can't understand the excitement about Crawford though... He doesn't have blistering pace, he doesn't place his shots and he doesn't have the height or strength to outmuscle defenders. He's a grafter who hassles defenders into mistakes and, barring one flash of skill to set-up M'voto's goal against Oldham at the end of last season, I haven't seen much from him to make me think he'll come on leaps and bounds.

The only time I actually saw Paterson was Charlton, I think, but he was class that night.

But then Vernon played well that night, too....

Back