• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Beefy

Life President
If our last missed penalty was Leon Constantine's away at Orient on that horrid day when Drewe and Tes scored own-goals (doesn't that seem like a life-time ago?!?), that means we've scored our last 24 penalties in all competitions. That has to be some kind of record, especially considering that right before this run started we'd been on a diabolical run from 12 yards.

Eastwood vs Bournemouth
Eastwood vs Stoke
Eastwood vs Chesterfield
Gray vs Bournemouth
Gray vs Hartlepool
Goater vs Barnsley
Gray vs Rotherham
Goater vs Tranmere
Eastwood vs Northampton
Gray vs Bristol Rovers
Eastwood vs Lincoln
Gray vs Bury
Dudfield vs Oxford
Gray vs Shrewsbury
Maher vs Col******r (shoot-out)
Gray vs Col******r (shoot-out)
Broughton vs Col******r (shoot-out)
Hunt vs Col******r (shoot-out)
Corbett vs Col******r (shoot-out)
Dudfield vs Rushden
Gray vs Lincoln
Constantine vs Carlisle
Constantine vs Darlington
Constantine vs Northampton

I know I might be tempting fate, but I'm interested in knowing people's opinions on whats changed? Has anythnig changed? Is it just that the squad are so much more relaxed in their football under Tilly & Brush? And if anyone does know the secret can they please call up Steve McClaren and let him in on it.

Cheers for finding this out, I thought it was well over the 20 mark.

Not so sure of the secret but as you say I think a few England players could learn a thing or two. Didn't see tonights pen but Eastwood always looks so calm when taking a Penalty.

I bet we have not given away as many penalties as we have been given over the last few seasons and even then we have saved quite a few.

With Freddy's against Coventry and Hammell's tonight I make that 26 now....

I think the difference is that we practice them. But according to the people that know about these things there's no point!

Don't we still hold the successive penalty misses world record from the back end of 90/91 to well into 91/92?

Anyone remember back in the late 80's/early 90's when we had the penalty voodoo?  I can even recall Match or Shoot magazine doing a feature on us about missing so many penalties.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Clarky_Blues @ Oct. 25 2006,11:43)]Anyone remember back in the late 80's/early 90's when we had the penalty voodoo?  I can even recall Match or Shoot magazine doing a feature on us about missing so many penalties.
I believe it was, oddly, in our most successful period - 1990-92, and we missed something like 8 penalties in a row.

The beginning of the 1992-93 season, under Colin Murphy, had started really poorly, and we'd lost our first four of the season in a row to find ourselves bottom of the table. Game 5 was the visit of Leicester to Roots Hall, with the Foxes top of the league at the time.

As I recall, after only a few minutes into the game a Southend player was scythed down whilst in the box, and the referee pointed to the spot.

I vividly remember the surreal sight, on the penalty being awarded, of almost everyone in the North Bank putting their hands to their heads in that "Oh No!!!" gesture - you know, the thing that you do when someone misses when they ought to have scored. The award of a penalty did not bring forth a cheer, but instead a feeling of dread and complete angst.

Imagine our surprise, then - and our sheer delight - when Benji tucked the penalty away!! The North Bank leaped around in unison, screaming "Let's go f***ing mental, let's go f***ing mental, na-naa-na-nah..."

Happy days!

But yes, to confirm, I believe we hold the football league record for the most consecutive penalties missed - and it's something like 8 or 9 in a row.

upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 25 2006,11:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Clarky_Blues @ Oct. 25 2006,11:43)]Anyone remember back in the late 80's/early 90's when we had the penalty voodoo?  I can even recall Match or Shoot magazine doing a feature on us about missing so many penalties.
I believe it was, oddly, in our most successful period - 1990-92, and we missed something like 8 penalties in a row.  

The beginning of the 1992-93 season, under Colin Murphy, had started really poorly, and we'd lost our first four of the season in a row to find ourselves bottom of the table.  Game 5 was the visit of Leicester to Roots Hall, with the Foxes top of the league at the time.

As I recall, after only a few minutes into the game a Southend player was scythed down whilst in the box, and the referee pointed to the spot.

I vividly remember the surreal sight, on the penalty being awarded, of almost everyone in the North Bank putting their hands to their heads in that "Oh No!!!" gesture - you know, the thing that you do when someone misses when they ought to have scored.  The award of a penalty did not bring forth a cheer, but instead a feeling of dread and complete angst.

Imagine our surprise, then - and our sheer delight - when Benji tucked the penalty away!!  The North Bank leaped around in unison, screaming "Let's go f***ing mental, let's go f***ing mental, na-naa-na-nah..."

Happy days!

But yes, to confirm, I believe we hold the football league record for the most consecutive penalties missed - and it's something like 8 or 9 in a row.

upside.gif
I think its 7 in a row.

Dave Martin I think started the ball rolling when XS's mate Eric Nixon saved his twice taken penalty against Tranmere.

He then shot horrifyingly wide against Brentford to cost us the title.

A whole host of players then missed before Dean Austin tucked away a penalty at the eight time of asking, only to miss the next one he took.

has this run been continued, or have we missed one in the meantime? (consecutive penalties scored)...
Eastwood vs Bournemouth
Eastwood vs Stoke
Eastwood vs Chesterfield
Gray vs Bournemouth
Gray vs Hartlepool
Goater vs Barnsley
Gray vs Rotherham
Goater vs Tranmere
Eastwood vs Northampton
Gray vs Bristol Rovers
Eastwood vs Lincoln
Gray vs Bury
Dudfield vs Oxford
Gray vs Shrewsbury
Dudfield vs Rushden
Gray vs Lincoln
Constantine vs Carlisle

It's 27 now, I put it in another thread the other day. Freddy's at Spurs & Hammells against (Leeds?) plus the ones above. Plus one more. I'll have a look.

28:

Bradbury vs Cheltenham
Eastwood vs Tottenham
Hammell vs Leeds
Eastwood vs Coventry
Eastwood vs Bournemouth
Eastwood vs Stoke
Eastwood vs Chesterfield
Gray vs Bournemouth
Gray vs Hartlepool
Goater vs Barnsley
Gray vs Rotherham
Goater vs Tranmere
Eastwood vs Northampton
Gray vs Bristol Rovers
Eastwood vs Lincoln
Gray vs Bury
Dudfield vs Oxford
Gray vs Shrewsbury
Dudfield vs Rushden
Gray vs Lincoln
Constantine vs Carlisle

I said tonight (at 1-1) "this looks like penalties", and "isn't our record something like 27 in a row" and i was roundly booed by SUFCEssex, Shrimptank, Herman and Manchester Blues for being wrong... cheers for proving otherwise guys :D

I said tonight (at 1-1) "this looks like penalties", and "isn't our record something like 27 in a row" and i was roundly booed by SUFCEssex, Shrimptank, Herman and Manchester Blues for being wrong... cheers for proving otherwise guys :D

You are wrong, but back to the penalties thing your wrong on that as well its not 27 its 28.

You are wrong, but back to the penalties thing your wrong on that as well its not 27 its 28.

Read my post again boy :guns: :guns: It was 27 when i said it, and 28 now

As for being 'wrong' ... Shrimptank says there's nothing wrong with being wrong, so thats good enough for me :p

Well it had to end sooner or later our first penalty miss for over 3½ years.
32 Penalties scored in a row the full list:-

Bailey vs Dagenham & Redbridge
MacDonald vs Dagenham & Redbridge
Hooper vs Dagenham & Redbridge
Foran vs Dagenham & Redbridge
Bradbury vs Cheltenham
Eastwood vs Tottenham
Hammell vs Leeds
Eastwood vs Coventry
Eastwood vs Bournemouth
Eastwood vs Stoke
Eastwood vs Chesterfield
Gray vs Bournemouth
Gray vs Hartlepool
Goater vs Barnsley
Gray vs Rotherham
Goater vs Tranmere
Eastwood vs Northampton
Gray vs Bristol Rovers
Eastwood vs Lincoln
Gray vs Bury
Dudfield vs Oxford
Gray vs Shrewsbury
Dudfield vs Rushden
Gray vs Lincoln
Constantine vs Carlisle

going back, i still rembember gary poole missing a a pen against west brom in peter taylors fist game in charge, after barry fry left, think we were second in division one. it was all down hill from there lost 3 -0 and was fighting relegation by end of season......... sorry to be so morbid..bit drunk...lets thrash the gills!

Back