• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Probably, but if a nurse or a teacher screws up they generally lose their job, but an industry that nearly brought the western world to a standstill is slapped on the back and given a nice healthy bonus for that second house in Provence and little Tarquin's education at Eton.

With the exception of course of the tens of thousands of financial services workers that have already lost their jobs over the past 2 years.

Probably, but if a nurse or a teacher screws up they generally lose their job

Do they though? Only 18 teachers have been struck off in the last 40 years. Chris Woodhead, the former OFSTED Inspector, estimates there are 17,000 sub-standard teachers (see link below). I have no idea whether or not that is correct, but I would suggest the number of bad teachers in the last 40 years is more than 18. Maintaining so many bad teachers depresses wages for the entire group, entrenches poor standards (incentives for excellent teachers to continue to do a good job are all non-financial) and pupils suffer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10464617

but an industry that nearly brought the western world to a standstill is slapped on the back and given a nice healthy bonus for that second house in Provence and little Tarquin's education at Eton.

Again, I'm not sure it is so simple. I stated my thoughts on remuneration in financial services above, but a lot of them lost their jobs across 2008 and 2009. You can argue that they were overpaid in the previous decade and I would agree, but a significant number no longer have a job let alone been rewarded.

With the exception of course of the tens of thousands of financial services workers that have already lost their jobs over the past 2 years.

Again, I'm not sure it is so simple. I stated my thoughts on remuneration in financial services above, but a lot of them lost their jobs across 2008 and 2009. You can argue that they were overpaid in the previous decade and I would agree, but a significant number no longer have a job let alone been rewarded.

Agreed. Makes me wonder while people aren't more angry at those who escaped the axe and are rewarded with vast bonuses.

Agreed. Makes me wonder while people aren't more angry at those who escaped the axe and are rewarded with vast bonuses.

Because jealousy solves nothing, and the vast majority of people kept on in these firms will be in areas that had nothing to do with the financial crash, and have been consistently turning profit for the organisation.

Because jealousy solves nothing, and the vast majority of people kept on in these firms will be in areas that had nothing to do with the financial crash, and have been consistently turning profit for the organisation.

It's not jealousy, it's injustice that those who caused the financial meltdown and had to be bailed out with my and your money are being rewarded once more and to me, it's sickening.

Out of interest what percentage of those who work in financial services do you think receive vast bonuses?

So you'd have preferred them to fail - possibly taking your savings and pension out on the way?

Didn't say that. What I said is they shouldn't be rewarded. Why have these people got carte blanche to cause massive worldwide turmoil by betting on money on a computer screen and have no comeback?

I just feel the frontline services that were promised to be protected, are quite simply not.

It will be interesting to see how NHS/teachers/armed forces/emergency services cope with all their already pretty difficult conditions of work, plus having to work for longer, for less money (increased contributions and pay freezes), with less resources (our budget is looking like it will be cut by £250k+ for next year)...

I can understand why it is necessary but it just seems to be a battering from every single angle. I get reasonably well paid for my job, but I do put in the hours and decide to do it well (my choice). However when I look at salaries of some NHS staff/armed forces etc they are not well enough paid and this, I think, will ultimately lead to a decrease in vital services.

A country with a demoralised, under funded staff of nurses, teachers, police, fireman, soldiers etc is not a great country at all!

I am always amazed by how public sector workers can moan about the money they get. Most have until late had a job for life, the pay is pretty good, the hours are more than fair, the benefits package is second to none? What exactly is so bad?

The whole country has felt the pinch of the factors you mention (Inflation, Unemployment etc) its not just public sector workers. It always seems to me public sector workers were sold the job as a cushy number and now its turning out to be a bit **** like it is for the rest of us then they are moaning.

Trying telling you bloke working in a factory about your problems and see how much sympathy you get. Ask someone self employed how many days holiday they are getting or when they last got to clock off at 3pm.

I am always amazed by how public sector workers can moan about the money they get. Most have until late had a job for life, the pay is pretty good, the hours are more than fair, the benefits package is second to none? What exactly is so bad?

The whole country has felt the pinch of the factors you mention (Inflation, Unemployment etc) its not just public sector workers. It always seems to me public sector workers were sold the job as a cushy number and now its turning out to be a bit **** like it is for the rest of us then they are moaning.

Trying telling you bloke working in a factory about your problems and see how much sympathy you get. Ask someone self employed how many days holiday they are getting or when they last got to clock off at 3pm.

You know there is the possibility that the factory worker is just treated like **** and its no justification for them to pick at others , becuase their bosses arnt ******s ??

Should also say ive known more pirvate sector people to knock off at 4-5 then ive ever know public sector to know off at 3Pm (and the only ones who did that started at 6am, forestry workers ;))

Speaking as a member of the nursing profession, clocking off at any given time is pretty much a luxury. Office workers clock off at a certain time. Nurses clock off when they have finished all the things they need to do to ensure their patients are pain free, safe and comfortable. They can't just leave when the clock says it is time. On average, that is probably at least 1 hour after they are meant to leave (unpaid of course.)

Speaking as a member of the nursing profession, clocking off at any given time is pretty much a luxury. Office workers clock off at a certain time. Nurses clock off when they have finished all the things they need to do to ensure their patients are pain free, safe and comfortable. They can't just leave when the clock says it is time. On average, that is probably at least 1 hour after they are meant to leave (unpaid of course.)

Ha!

:nope:

And this is the point. Economic theory determines that the value of a person's labour is determined by the amount which someone else would be prepared to pay for it. In other words, the market rate. Where someone doesn't have any skills that someone would be prepared to pay for then they are at the mercy of their existing employer. If that employer chooses to pay more than the anyone else would pay for the same unit of labour, then that individual is overpaid.

Chomsky is very good on the market.Have a look at the last couple of minutes of this video and tell me what you think.:winking:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/9418922.stm

Back