• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Personal Statements

Vange Shrimper

Mrs Rock God
As there is currently a Cover Letter thread, I thought i'd start up my own one about personal statements.

ATM, I am looking around (again) for other vacancies, but at my 2 interviews I had earlier in the year, they both said that my PS was good, but needs to be 'beefed up a bit' (Might put some oxo in it next time....)

So what makes the perfect Personal Statement? And shall I lie in it? :)

If anyone could help, that would be great, as I desperately need it right now!

Ta.

Hils.

I would mention that you are the prime mover behind the swine-flu vaccine. And that you climbed Mount Everest. On your hands.

As there is currently a Cover Letter thread, I thought i'd start up my own one about personal statements.

ATM, I am looking around (again) for other vacancies, but at my 2 interviews I had earlier in the year, they both said that my PS was good, but needs to be 'beefed up a bit' (Might put some oxo in it next time....)

So what makes the perfect Personal Statement? And shall I lie in it? :)

If anyone could help, that would be great, as I desperately need it right now!

Ta.

Hils.

You should look carefully at the person/job specification and relate your personal statement directly to what that says, even as far as using the same words and even using them as sub headings. Use examples from your own experience to show what you have done/what skills you have that fits to the spec. remember they sift loads of these so the easier it is to read, the better, so use bullet points, bold, underlining etc so it jumps of the page. Keep it short- never more than two sides of A4 with a reasonabel font (i.e. nothing tiny). Try to make sure your examples tie up with your CV.

Never lie, lots of employers are now doing pre-employment checks and if you do lie and it comes out after employment -= immediate dismissal on gross misconduct grounds. If that happens, many employers would now declare that if approached in the future as there is a legal liability issue. And lots of HR teams now ring round based on your employment history "off the record" - I know cause I am in one!

Good luck.

definitely don't lie. definitely match it to the job and person spec... employers just go through the job spec and check off when you meet it... so make it clear and give proper examples. Don't just say "i'm a team worker", give examples of being in a successful team.

As Colonel Nutter (!) says, make it stand out and easy to read. Spelling/grammar mistakes and in my experience it goes in the bin

Beefed up means 'you should have slipped me a £50 note in the interview and you'd be in'.

The best time to do this is when you shake hands at the end of the interview or you can slip it into their breast pocket (followed by a little pat) as well..

Add graphic details of your sexual history and preferences (although I have read its advisable to leave out references to any little infections picked up along the way)

Also Put anything you feel really passionate about in a bold font of at least 22pt to get the message over.

Whatever you do don't mention anchovies

I definitely wouldn't say you attributed to JoshC being kicked out of the SZBB House Vange... They'd probably throw your CV straight in the bin.

tell them about how you devise your lesson plans by asking strangers on the internet, and then you could end it by saying that this personal statement was a combined effort of the message board

Back