• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend_aussies

I come from a land down under
First things first.... We are seventh in the League....

Not 15th, or 23rd, but 7th.

Secondly here are our results in the FA Cup when we have been promoted.

2005/06 - 1st round
2004/05 - 1st round
1989/90 - 1st round
1980/81 - 1st round
1977/78 - 3rd round
1971/72 - 2nd round

If I've missed any, add them here.

As you can see... We have been eliminated in the first round the last four times we have been promoted.

We play Hartlepool (24th), Tranmere (23rd), and Northampton (15th) in the next three games.

If results are poor in these three games then the thought can be given as to whether Brown leaves the club.

Some of the comments in the last 24 hours have been ridiculous.

Some teams in the Division would love our spot in the playoffs at the moment.

Let's just relax a little bit.

Southend Aussie, this isn't just a reaction to the Chester game, its been coming all season. At home, I have only seen us play 2 good halves of football, Stevenage and Exeter, both in the first half. Through Browns shut up shop mentality we have thrown points away against Oxford, Exeter(who were both struggling) and Bury, and just held on against Shrewsbury. Our slow laboured style of football is painful to watch, and its clear to me that Brown has lost the backing of the players. You can see that on the pitch. You may look at the table and see we are seventh, but we are in a false position and are only 4 points clear of 17th. Yesterdays reaction from the fans has slowly been building up, and many including myself have had enough. We have a talented squad for League 2, and the confidence is slowly ebbing away. You are right, the next 3 games you mentioned are massive, but if we get nothing from these we could find ourselves nearer the bottom than the top

With all due respect you haven't had to endure the performances this season.

This isn't about short term results it's about the long term progression of the club. We are going backwards on the pitch (like most of our passing) and Brown shows no sign of a plan to build the club long term.

Last season he signed on permanent deals 9 players. Just one of those played yesterday.

Just because I can't attend the matches doesn't mean I haven't endured what the team have thrown up.

The stats, compared to last year, are not great.

We are bereft of strikers and those who can score goals.

All i'm saying is that the season isn't over yet, and we aren't even half way yet.

A few weeks ago, we won four in a row, and were praising Brown and the players.

If we win those next three matches, which is a possibility, are we going to get the same?

I just think it is too drastic to just get rid of Brown.

The season is far from over.

Let's assess the situation at Christmas.

Southend Aussie, this isn't just a reaction to the Chester game, its been coming all season. At home, I have only seen us play 2 good halves of football, Stevenage and Exeter, both in the first half. Through Browns shut up shop mentality we have thrown points away against Oxford, Exeter(who were both struggling) and Bury, and just held on against Shrewsbury. Our slow laboured style of football is painful to watch, and its clear to me that Brown has lost the backing of the players. You can see that on the pitch. You may look at the table and see we are seventh, but we are in a false position and are only 4 points clear of 17th. Yesterdays reaction from the fans has slowly been building up, and many including myself have had enough. We have a talented squad for League 2, and the confidence is slowly ebbing away. You are right, the next 3 games you mentioned are massive, but if we get nothing from these we could find ourselves nearer the bottom than the top

..... If you listen to Jamie Carragher or most Arsenal fans they cannot believe Arsene Wenger doesnt adopt Phil Browns mentality of actually trying to protect a match when you are winning it .

Funny Ol' Game Football aint it ....

Just because I can't attend the matches doesn't mean I haven't endured what the team have thrown up.

All i'm saying is that the season isn't over yet, and we aren't even half way yet.

If we win those next three matches, which is a possibility, are we going to get the same?

Andy

I and a few other's did not attend Saturday. Although i have attended most of the other games.
I do think PB has adopted the wrong tactics too defensive and his substitutions. Well, dont get me started.

However you speak a lot of sense (for once!!!.
We need to assess the situation as i said after attending and posted after the Newport game
At Christmas.

D

No, if you look even during the four match run a lot of people on here were not happt, thought we were lucky and that the luck would not continue. Saturday's reaction as others have said was not based on one match. The more you think about it the more obvious that should be imo. We have all watched crap before and will again so to get a reaction from the crowd like he did speaks volumes

Spot on , amount of people on here saying don't worry we are still 7th , I'm going Saturday but I don't know why I'm guessing another defeat but don't worry chap's we will. Be 15th

Interesting that. To save me doing the research, who are they please? Thanks in anticipation.

White - played
Coker - injured, would be in team if fit
Bennett - contract not renewed
Thompson - didn't make bench
Atkinson - unused sub
Clifford - unused sub
Cowan - gash and released
Reid - so bad contract was paid up early
Barnard - off-loaded to Stevenage on loan

Of his signings over the summer before the season started
Worrall - played but subbed
Coulthirst - dropped to bench
Bolger - unused sub
Weston - played but will probably be dropped next match

..... If you listen to Jamie Carragher or most Arsenal fans they cannot believe Arsene Wenger doesnt adopt Phil Browns mentality of actually trying to protect a match when you are winning it .

They were talking about away from home though. :ie 1-0 up at Swansea with 10 minutes left is a world apart from being 1-0 up at home against a bottom of the league team.

There may be a middle ground between 10 players back and 6 players forward.

Arsenal pushed more players forward with a 1-0 lead than we did when we were chasing the game against Chester.

Thanks v much Yorkshire. My Kidderminster mate says Reid has scored once. Just runs around a lot. Steve Burr, the Chester manager, was previously manager at Agbrough until unjustly sacked. To be drawn away at Barnsley was scant reward for Chester. But most of the minnows seemed tl suffer the same fate.

Oh, I missed one. Bedsente Gomis.....

That makes it one player who played Saturday from the 10 he signed permanently last season.

Oh, I missed one. Bedsente Gomis.....

That makes it one player who played Saturday from the 10 he signed permanently last season.

Failing to see what point you are trying to make.

That Brown doesn't sign good players? Well our best player in the last match was Worrall IMO, Brown's signing. Of the defence that got 21 clean sheets, 2 were Brown's signings (Coker and White) and he signed several more on loan (Kiernan, Egan, Sokolik and O'Neill) who did very well. Of the signings he made, only 3 out of the 10 were released because they were poor.

That Sturrock signed the core of our squad which is the only reason why we are doing well? Most of the squad played a part in getting us 4th in the league and our highest points tally for a long time, so why would you release players who obviously are good enough. Mourinho signed 15 players last season, only 1 of those started on Saturday.

Also, as pointed out in your post earlier, 3 out of the 4 signing this season played on Saturday. Convenient you omitted those.

My point is about the longevity of his signings.

It's the same point I made when I looked at his transfer record at his previous clubs.

It's full of short term fixes which don't stand the test of time. He's had two pre-seasons to put together a squad, yet he didn't sort the defence so we had to sign Sokolik, he didn't sort the midfield so we had to sign Deegan and he didn't sort the forwards so we had to sign Lee. Yet his fixes aren't working either - we can let him off the forward one as Lee is injured but it's clear the defence and midfield aren't functioning.

You need a manager who can work with the tools he's been given and in this case he's had the opportunity to select those tools twice now.

It's not economically viable to have a revolving door transfer policy like this.

We need to sign players who are going to contribute long term to the club.

Spot on , amount of people on here saying don't worry we are still 7th , I'm going Saturday but I don't know why I'm guessing another defeat but don't worry chap's we will. Be 15th

Didnt you say the same thing before the last game we won ?

Back