• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pheonix From The Flames

Ron Manager

Having been watching the Euro 2004 Fantasy Football shows I was thinking what incident from SUFC history would make a good 'Pheonix From The Flames'?

Of course there are the obvious ones (Benji's goal vs Bury, Angell's vs The Hamsters and Drewe's vs Col Ewe) but what about for more comic value the time we started the 2nd half with 10 men because somebody were having their contact lens replaced and another player (Phil Gridelet?) wouldn't go onto the pitch because they were superstitious and had to run out onto the pitch last.

How about the day when FM and Javea didn't have a pop at each other ?
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 21 2004,14:00)]we started the 2nd half with 10 men because somebody were having their contact lens replaced and another player (Phil Gridelet?) wouldn't go onto the pitch because they were superstitious and had to run out onto the pitch last.
Wouldn't that mean we had 9 men?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ June 21 2004,14:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 21 2004,14:00)]we started the 2nd half with 10 men because somebody were having their contact lens replaced and another player (Phil Gridelet?) wouldn't go onto the pitch because they were superstitious and had to run out onto the pitch last.
Wouldn't that mean we had 9 men?
Yes indeed it would, you have won the 'spot the deliberate mistake' competition!
tounge.gif

Our recent spate of own goals against Orient would raise a chuckle
sad.gif

92nd minute of the match between Swansea & Southend on the 13th December 2003. Warren scoring to put us 3-1 up, when we were down to 8 men.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 21 2004,14:00)]Having been watching the Euro 2004 Fantasy Football shows I was thinking what incident from SUFC history would make a good 'Pheonix From The Flames'?
I love these threads where I can go back to my old "one trick pony" topic.  

Yes, predictably as ever, my vote would go to the recreation of any goal by the Great Graham & let's face it there weren't too many to make choosing one a problem.  I would happily play the part of GJ as I probably have about his level of footballing ability (i.e. none at all) & can supply my own diver's boots.  
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ June 21 2004,15:27)]Yes, predictably as ever, my vote would go to the recreation of any goal by the Great Graham & let's face it there weren't too many to make choosing one a problem.  I would happily play the part of GJ as I probably have about the level of his footballing ability & can supply my own diver's boots.  
biggrin.gif
We should have guessed...

wow.gif
laugh.gif

My favourite "GJ" moment - indeed, it seemed to encapsulate his enitre Southend career - was when, whilst 3-0 down at Rushden, we were awarded a penalty. Tes Bramble, as penalty-taker at the time, went and picked up the ball. TWGLS wrenched the ball off young Tes in an incredibly petulant manner, placed the ball on the spot... and blasted wide.

I'd have that as my "Phoenix" moment, I reckon - and I'd get you to play the part of our Graeme, Hooly...

laugh.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ June 21 2004,15:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 21 2004,14:00)]Having been watching the Euro 2004 Fantasy Football shows I was thinking what incident from SUFC history would make a good 'Pheonix From The Flames'?
I love these threads where I can go back to my old "one trick pony" topic.  

Yes, predictably as ever, my vote would go to the recreation of any goal by the Great Graham & let's face it there weren't too many to make choosing one a problem.  I would happily play the part of GJ as I probably have about his level of footballing ability (i.e. none at all) & can supply my own diver's boots.  
biggrin.gif
Ah Hooly - the wonders of the internet mean I no longer have to concern myself during the close-season whether you are well because I can read your posts on SZ. When you are posting cynical, mean-spirited comments about your 'favourites' then I know that all is normal and I can rest easy untill I see you again during pre-season  
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 21 2004,15:31)]We should have guessed...

TWGLS wrenched the ball off young Tes in an incredibly petulant manner, placed the ball on the spot... and blasted wide.
Thanks MtS.  I like to be as predictable as possible.

Was it wide or over the bar as I'd given up & was standing outside the ground by then. I actually came back in when I heard we had a penalty but left again when I heard GJ was taking it.  I'm sure that a ball sailed over the stand about that time, but I could just have been dreaming!  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ June 21 2004,15:35)]Ah Hooly - the wonders of the internet mean I no longer have to concern myself during the close-season whether you are well because I can read your posts on SZ. When you are posting cynical, mean-spirited comments about your 'favourites' then I know that all is normal and I can rest easy untill I see you again during pre-season  
tounge.gif
Cheers Ron'ster, things are quite reasonable at the moment, ta.  I believe we are to have your full time attendance in the south upper in the much missed Holland "standing area".  Bit lax of Adele to let you out with that much pocket money at once!  
biggrin.gif

I have a strange premonition that we may meet before the pre-season games.  Unfortunately I've HAD to spend the last 4 days helping out at the Swan beer festival, it was tough but someone had to do it.  Free beer as well!!  
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ June 21 2004,15:59)]Was it wide or over the bar as I'd given up & was standing outside the ground by then. I actually came back in when I heard we had a penalty but left again when I heard GJ was taking it.  I'm sure that a ball sailed over the stand about that time, but I could just have been dreaming!  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Alas, Hooly, I can't remember... my mind has a habit of erasing painful episodes from my past.

sad.gif

All I remember was that he'd talked the talk, by wrenching the ball of Tes in the manner of "give it to me, I'll show you"... but then, unquestionably, he failed to "walk the walk"...

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 21 2004,16:07)]but then, unquestionably, he failed to "walk the walk"...

ghostface.gif
That'd be one or all of
........the diver's boots
........the one leg shorter than the other
........the bad back
........the chronic knee injury Jonny Gowens failed to spot
........the etc etc etc

or just plain old lack of ability!!

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I thought it was Mark Rawle that blasted that penalty over. I certainly remember Rawle missing a penalty at Nene Park.

Rawle never took a pen for us, and it was the Rushden keeper Turley (who we called "Turkey") who saved GJ's penalty.....it was woeful!

Back