• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Phil Brown & Craig Fagan Sacked

This club needs a new owner and manager Stan if your watching help us get a new owner

He holds far too much of a sway with RM. Way, way, way too much power and influence, and returning him to the Academy won't change that. There will be other people who could do that job, and we still retain the coaches of each age group who are the ones who REALLY do the hard graft of developing our youngsters day-to-day.
Obviously I don't know the internal power balance. But judging by the players we signed this season I would argue that it's PB that has had more power and influence than he should have and RD's failing is that he didn't assert himself as a DoF should have. I highly doubt he went out and scouted all the over 30's and former players of PB that he eventually signed.

I agree the heavy lifting is done by the coaches in each age group and wouldn't want to take away from that. But RD has built good relationships with clubs. If he wasn't the figure head of it, do we get the Dan Bentley's or the Dru Yearwood's who were recommended to come here from Arsenal etc...

Last edited:
Can't day I'm surprised but I'm not sure what difference a new manager will make.
For a start I'd be amazed if any new manager would have the baffling starting line up Brown chose today. The only thing that perhaps stops it from being baffling is that it was a challenge for Ron to sack him as Gridelets suggests.

Anyone think Currie could be back in the frame?

I’m hoping so. Should have got the job ahead of MM in the first place. I know he is at a club but you’d like to think being the first team manager is better than being an u23 one.. even at a club like us.

Reactions: TJC
Thank **** for that! One swallow doesn’t make it summer. That win against Eastleigh wasn’t enough to give him time. A shocking line up AGAIN! I couldn’t make the game but from what my friend said it was awful and he isn’t too keen about going anytime soon. Unfortunately he has a season ticket so has too!

Who next, I’d like Currie. I wanted him when Molesley got the job and think he will be decent.

Which Manager in their right mind would want to inherit this pile of sh*t!! We have been sliding down the leagues for 4 seasons and the only Common Denominator (Ron) is still there! Why would you want that on your CV. Let's get this relegation out the way - Ron then only has to build some small ground like Billericay. Sell all the flats on Roots Hall and make a fortune and them please God he F**ks off!

Speaking as an outsider, this is clearly the right decision, but it only repairs a fraction of the damage caused by appointing him in the first place. I was bemused by that decision at the time as Brown is widely regarded as being a football dinosaur (I know you all have fonder memories of him) and what has happened is hardly a surprise. Although the extent of your fall from grace is a shock.

I watched half an hour of the Zoom call earlier (I had to switch off then, as I thought it was unbearable to watch). It seems to me that you don't have very many good options at the moment. Ditching Brown is clearly the the right thing to do, but unfortunately the decision about his successor rests with the bloke who appointed him in the first place.

And that is the crux of it, isn't it? The last two or three years suggests that the judgement of the man at the top is deeply flawed and I would have very limited faith in his ability to make a better appointment next time than he did last. Whoever comes in inherits a squad which you all say lacks energy, pace and basic ability - and a quarter of the season has already gone. Mr. Martin talks quite proudly about his levels of investment - but it looks a lot like money wasted on bad investments to me.

I understand that you feel you are stuck with him. I also understand his view that the club has no long-term future at Rootes Hall (although he would say that, wouldn't he?). And I understand the thinking behind the move to FF being something of a self-fulfilling prophecy, in terms of speculating to succeed. But :

1. What happens if the planning process hits serious problems and/or delays? Is there an Plan B?

2. How sound are the guarantees about the tangible benefits to the club of the move? What I heard on the Zoom call sounded very vague.

3. I hate phoenix clubs as a concept (they are and should always be a weapon of last resort). But equally it seems to me that as fans you currently don't have much leverage. And you really could do with some.

I’ll be honest here does not matter who we get in I feel for us fans Ron do the right thing and sell the club this club will continue to be **** with the ownership we got

I was hugely supportive of Phil’s appointment and had really high hopes for this season, but Ron has made the right decision here. If he has any sense at all, he will make a fan friendly and thoughtful appointment (Tilly has to be involved). The Martin Out movement is perfectly justifiable and understandable but it will no doubt subside if there’s a successful team on the park, and Ron has to know that.

I was hugely supportive of Phil’s appointment and had really high hopes for this season, but Ron has made the right decision here, and if he has any sense at all, he will make a fan friendly and thoughtful appointment (Tilly has to be involved). The Martin Out movement is perfectly justifiable and understandable but it will no doubt subside if there’s a successful team on the park, and Ron has to know that.
Martin out will not subside

Back