• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil Brown

I liked Phil Brown as a person to talk to, but didn't like the way he acted after a few defeats. It was his main weakness. According to the players themselves, he split the dressing room. That affected team spirit very badly. Some were feigning injury so as not to be on the away coach, according to one player. He had his favourites and would share banter and encourage non stop. Then others he wouldn't speak to, and would totally blank. What a mess. No wonder we started plummeting down the League. He also never got to grips with Nile Ranger. He thought he could control him by acting as his mate, even going drinking with him once. It didn't work. NR took the p even more, and was getting up to all sorts. That also caused a rift with the more professional players watching this bs. And yes, he did favour older players that had been there and done it. The trouble is some of them were past it, and some were very injury prone. Some were both. He was an extremely stubborn man at Southend, very strong willed, and no one could tell him anything. It was his way or no way,
Like I said, I liked him. I hope the penny has finally dropped. He always thought he should be a regular Premiership Manager. There were many reasons he isn't. I hope he's learnt. And I wish him success with Kidderminster.

Sorry 70's but that is just not true. He dropped him for home game in the early days and Ron overruled him and demanded he start.

PB never visited him in prison but Ron did. PB thought he was the impossible player to mange and knew it would fail when he come out.... Still he tried his best because he had boss to answer to.

Sorry 70's but that is just not true. He dropped him for home game in the early days and Ron overruled him and demanded he start.

PB never visited him in prison but Ron did. PB thought he was the impossible player to mange and knew it would fail when he come out.... Still he tried his best because he had boss to answer to.
What's not true rigsby? I heard from inside, and Phil Brown even mentioned it in an interview that he even tried being Nile's mate by going for a drink with him. He said Nile's a really nice lad, but can't help doing the wrong things. Dropping him has nothing to do with it.

What's not true rigsby? I heard from inside, and Phil Brown even mentioned it in an interview that he even tried being Nile's mate by going for a drink with him. He said Nile's a really nice lad, but can't help doing the wrong things. Dropping him has nothing to do with it.
Phil claimed to have saved someone from jumping off the Humber Bridge. No one else on the planet recalls this happening. There maybe several versions of the Nile story truth be told.

From a newspaper article.

SOUTHEND boss Phil Brown has revealed he keeps Nile Ranger on the straight and narrow by taking him out for a drink.​

By JAMES CAMBRIDGE
13:58, Mon, Mar 27, 2017 | UPDATED: 14:12, Mon, Mar 27, 2017
Phil Brown, Nile Ranger

Phil Brown has revealed he takes Nile Ranger out for a drink occasionally
Nile Ranger has had a troubled career and has slipped down the leagues since bursting onto the scene at Newcastle in 2009.
A string of disciplinary problems and brushes with the law have seen him wind up at League One side Southend.

But the striker has begun to turn things around since making the move to Roots Hall and is in a rich vein of form, scoring four goals in his last five games.

Nile Ranger has been in great form for Southend, scoring four times in his last five games
And former Hull boss Phil Brown has revealed the secret to keeping the 25-year-old on the straight and narrow is an occasional trip to the pub.

“I go out for a drink with him and that’s the only way you can do it,” Brown told the Southend Echo.

“It’s been a long road and a hard slog where Nile is concerned, there have been barriers to get over and at the moment we’re doing that.
“We just need to keep him on the straight and narrow which is easier said than done but he has to realise he’s part of a team.
“When he lets himself down he lets his team down.
“He’s a rare breed and you don’t deal with him the same way you do everyone else.
“However, he has to realise there are rules and regulations which fingers crossed he’s adhering to at the moment.

The treatment of Adam Barratt by PB was disgraceful. I remember AB saying that on AB's return to the club PB would ignore him completely and wouldn't select him before realising that Adam had so much to offer. He then picked him on 3 April 2015 v Mansfield and AB remained in the side through to Wembley. And of course Adam scored one hell of a penalty in the play off final.
Now I wish PB nothing but success and hope that his two match winning run extends to the end of the season, thereby dealing mortal blows to the playoff hopes of our rivals.

I really didn't like Phil brown second time around. First time I wasn't fussed. But anyone else now really pulling for kiddy to get out of this mess? I really don't know why but I found myself checking there result the another night. God knows why 🤣

The test for Brown will be when they lose a match, we went on fantastic runs under him but then we'd lose one or two and he'd struggle to get morale going again. Good luck to him though, he clearly underestimated this league under us but he's come back with a point to prove and if he keeps this up he'll have performed a miracle.

When we played Kidderminster away they looked the better team even though we got the win. I think they have a good squad with some very good players. Obviously Brown has got them playing well and getting the results. Definitely a team that don’t deserve to go down.

His been sent off with his side now 0-2 down to Oxford City.

After the **** he has got from some, wouldn’t you in that situation.

I think you are being a little unfair. Whilst I know Brown wasn’t a saint, he was still passionate about the club.
I actually like him but he does have massive ego....... I guess you can't knock him for taking up challenge. He seem to be taking fire fighting jobs now similar to big Sam in the prem.

Back