• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pikey's

ldnfatso

Red Rep King!
In an interview with Bernie Ecclestone before Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal, Martin Brundle referred to repairs being made to the track.

"There are some pikeys out there putting down new tarmac at Turn 10. Are they out of the way yet?"

Now there have been many complaints about this but i ask: Do you consider this word "Pikey" offensive?

Unnecessary apostrophe alert, it should be written pikeys..... ;)

Getting back to the point, I didn't think it was wrong - they are pikeys after all. It was a fairly amusing comment considering it came from an ex-F1 driver....

Yeah I don't know why I did that.

I think it's one of those ones that's generally used, but nevertheless deemed offensive to those it applies to. Is it worse than gypos or tinkers? Don't know, I do know that genuine Romany Gypsies find all of this offensive but are the least likely to protest about it as they are a proud and peace loving race.

I don't personally find it offensive as it does not mock or abuse my race/creed/background. But i can understand why certain people may be offensive.
a bit like a Yorkshiremen finding the "Essex" comments amusing, where as the residents of gods own county rarely do.

Basically if offends someone , then it can be deemed offensive, if it offends them because they interpret it as a sleight on their ethnicity , then the legislation in place would be expected to cover it.

Unfortunately there are a number of people who anticipate someone being offended, go public, and then those who hadn't heard/seen it, and therefore would not have been offended, are brought into the situation. This then angers those who see it as "PC gone mad" and the whole thing gets blown out of proportion.

Pikeys are pikeys.. thats what they are, so thats what they'll be... scumbags.

pikeys is ok. Thing that annoys me is the ones she refer to themselves as travellers, then park their vans on someones land and refuse to move. They should could themselves parkers.

pikeys is ok. Thing that annoys me is the ones she refer to themselves as travellers, then park their vans on someones land and refuse to move. They should could themselves parkers.

or they could just kill themselfs and call themselfs deceased

or they could just kill themselfs and call themselfs deceased

For a trialist pal, you're stepping a bit close to the edge in some of your postings. Having just spent the last hour scrolling through all the goings on yesterday, I notice a distinct theme following through some of your comments, and it's not very pleasant.

This is quite simple.

Romany gypsies = gypsies

Scumbags that illegally move from place to place leaving a trail of devestation behind in the fields after increasing the local crimewave 400fold or those that flout all planning regulations and call themselves travellers when they have no intention of doing so = PIKEYS.

So as long as the first group know we are not referring to them everyone is happy.

I think that's the whole trouble tho', genuine gypsies are being tarred with the same brush and it's totally unfair. Proper gypsies clear up their site when they move on and are friendly and respectful to the locals.

For a trialist pal, you're stepping a bit close to the edge in some of your postings. Having just spent the last hour scrolling through all the goings on yesterday, I notice a distinct theme following through some of your comments, and it's not very pleasant.
Errr there's just one thing, columbo is alive and well in Essex.

You'd have a hard time finding a more persecuted minority than the Romany people. Unfortunately their voice isn't a loud one so they are still subject to treatment that would be widely considered disgraceful were it targeted at more visible minorities.

Back