• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Planning permission for Fossetts

This document confirms my thoughts all along--- Martin gets involved and thinks "I will bail the club out for a couple of years and the stadium will be done"

Only 20years later the dough has run out.

To be fair to old Ronald McDonald the 'latest' stadium designs do look better with 100's of flats built into it. Plus he's clearly got the clubs best interest at heart with all the rent money the club will receive from the occupiers, oh wait........

Isn't most of it council? I don't think he'll get any rent but he will make money from selling the residential units.

Makes me sad that picture. I was excited about the new ground when it was going to look like that. Now its going to be a glorified housing estate I've really lost all enthusiasm.

The original design is basically an airifx stadium with no seats in corners and just a curved bit of roofing on top. Would certainly be cheaper. You can experience it if you could bring yourself to spend 10 mins in the Col U stadium.

I rather suspect if the new design was the the old, and the old was the new you wouldn't like it any more :-)

It's just surrounded by a sea of car parking instead in the old design. Houses offer a lot more to society than car parks do, and in any case I'd much rather the stadium felt like part of a community than part of a soulless out of town retail park.

The flats on top of the main stand do look a bit daft though. I'd probably rather they were in separate tower blocks next to the stadium and let the stadium be a stadium. Or at least have the flats go all the way around for some symmetry. Still, if it's what it takes to make it happen, I'll take it.

The original design is basically an airifx stadium with no seats in corners and just a curved bit of roofing on top. Would certainly be cheaper. You can experience it if you could bring yourself to spend 10 mins in the Col U stadium.

I rather suspect if the new design was the the old, and the old was the new you wouldn't like it any more :-)

It's literally nothing like Colchester stadium.

It's essentially a bowl with a two tiered main stand.

And if memory serves, had a capacity of 15k

Col u has 4 separate stands and single tier main stand with a capacity of 10k

Other than that, they are identical!!

Matches being postponed made me think of underpitch heating - anyone know if the new stadium has this? I don't think I've seen it mentioned so I'm presuming not, also I guess running costs are very high

Matches being postponed made me think of underpitch heating - anyone know if the new stadium has this? I don't think I've seen it mentioned so I'm presuming not, also I guess running costs are very high
To be fair to Ron on one small thing, the training ground does look pretty pucker. Scrimping on pitch drainage, irrigation or heating in the stadium would seem a bit odd. It might not be like Wembley but it’s likely to have some reasonable arrangements to keep the pitch playable and in good nick.

Very good question. As Spaceman says having gone top end on the training pitches you would hope the actual playing surface will be likewise.

Does it need under pitch heating- or these days is inflatable covers as effective/ more cost effective?

well I trawled the plans as much as i could but really it is a mammoth task. I could not find anything about under soil heating but we do know the pitch is going to be exactly like the lower pitch at the training ground with the plastic threads. The level down from the premiership but really good. But i did find confirmation of safe standing for home fans,
"The amendments to the permitted design of the stadium takes advantage of the existing ground level changes. The site levels allow the stadium bowl to be built into the ground limiting the scale of the building from the outside and reducing the requirement for internal vertical circulation. The stadium bowl is a simple single tier design accommodating dedicated zones for premium, general admissions home fans safe standing and away seating. The stadium bowl is covered with a simple cantilevered canopy design. The phasing of the stadium has resolved the issue of how to join the relatively simply, low and unheated three sided stadium with the larger, more complex and heated North Stand".

Back