• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Play-off memories...

Blues News

Hi everyone,

I'm returning to work on Blues News for the next issue, and wanted to get a few snippets from fans on their memories of the last play-off campaign.

Just a sentence or so on something that sticks in the memory would be much appreciated, together with your name, where you live and maybe where you normally sit at Roots Hall.

Anything big or small, preferably something a little original.

Cheers folks,

Nick, Blues News

Last edited:
Daryl Flahavans save in the last minute of the 2nd leg of the Northampton game from Scott McGleish's header. Absolutely superb.

Daryl Flahavans save in the last minute of the 2nd leg of the Northampton game from Scott McGleish's header. Absolutely superb.

West Stand V block, and i live in Leigh-on-sea.

Each of the 3 games were tense and absorbing, and I recall being extremely nervous on the way to each of the games.

Both legs of the semi-final and indeed the final were mentally and physically draining to watch, but the relief and emotion that I experienced when Jupp scored the 2nd goal was something I cannot describe.

I came home and smashed (Sexually not psysically) the Mrs at the time all over the bedroom that night to celebrate Jupps Winner....Hope this helps.....

I came home and smashed (Sexually not psysically) the Mrs at the time all over the bedroom that night to celebrate Jupps Winner....Hope this helps.....

You old romantic.
Wonder if Ronaldo does that when he scores....?

..this season his Mrs must be walking like John Wayne & couldn't catch a pig in an alley....

Last edited:
A few things, one from each game:

1st leg away - Luke Guttridge's terrible miss right at the death with a diving header - I thought we were going to bottle it.

2nd leg at home - Nicky Nicolau "When you feel contact you have to go down" - Brilliant

Final - Duncan Jupp, Duncan Jupp, DUNACN JUPP!!!!!!! MANIC

Play-off Final,Mill-Stad.

I and colleague were the only two Southend fans on camera close-up in the build-up before the whistle.

I'm a ferking star dont'cha know!

Address supplied.

Play-off Final,Mill-Stad.

I and colleague were the only two Southend fans on camera close-up in the build-up before the whistle.

I'm a ferking star dont'cha know!

Address supplied.

I was close up after the final whistle, going balistic, shirt off, but as many know I am quite a celebrity in the Southend United media world :support:

Matt the Shrimp being reprimanded to by the British transport police after puffing on a big fat cigar on the train home to paddington. Priceless

The feeling of relief when the final whistle went at Cardiff that we wre promoted after messing up the automatics and finally burying our Millennium Stadium jinx.

Feeling happy.............then sad as I couldn't afford to go to the final.

Your'e not alone i reckon - how many got there that famous day - 7000?

Those that didn't go were a mix of can't afford it, can't go through it all again, can't be arsed....

Me - i was there - what a day! Two things stood out for me

1) was in a pub having a celebratory beer when our group asked some random bloke to take a photo of the proud moment- then we noticed he had a lincoln scarf on - but top man he went along with it and took a great pic!

2) Driving out of cardiff with Streaky's cd player at full blast playing....

We're the seasiders...........seasiders..............seasiders of roots hall oi!

over and over and over and over again!!!!!!!!!!!! brilliant!

Having hired a VIP coach from Kings Ferry, which turned out to be the one usually used by the club, as they had been given the one normally sent to Charlton Athletic F.C. We kept being waved to and honked at up the motorways to Cardiff and then in Cardiff itself having nearly every Blues fan we went past practically wetting themselves thinking they were waving at the players going past, shame it was just the players of the Mighty ShrimperZone F.C. on board :D

I remember getting to the Wetherspoon's after the celebrations at the end of the game and ordering a bottle of champagne only for the bar-staff to say there was a no glass policy on match days! Eventually after much persuasion they relented!

Also drinking in there was memorable when a local hen-party walked in to much hilarity, can't remember exactly why, but I think it was mainly due to the mental pressure of the past few weeks finally being lifted!

Back