• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Play Station

DTS

The Business
Hello All

Been debating getting a play station for a while now. Seems like you can pick them up for next to nothing. Is there any reason for this. Are Sony bringing out anything new that I need to be aware of. Kids at any age where they are starting to ask for a console and dont want to be stuck with a lemon.

Cheers

DtS

Reason PS3s and Xboxes are relatively cheap these days is beause they're some 3-5 years old, which is grandpa-old in the game industry. Personally, I prefer an Xbox to a PS3, but the PS does have some great exclusives. There's talk of the PS4 and Xbox720 coming soon but nothing confirmed and to be honest, you'll probably get another couple of years at the least out of the current generation, maybe even three before the next gen comes out.

I'd definitely recommend it. I'm not a huge gamer but I love my PS3. The ps4 is rumoured to be released in autumn 2014 and so there's a while to go. Also bear in mind that you have loads of games for the ps3 but it'll take a while for games to come out for the ps4.

I use my ps3 a lot as a media centre for my tv and you can stream videos from your laptop (I.e download stuff and watch it on your telly), you've also got Netflix, iplayer, 4od etc etc

Cheers all - think I might have a bash.

Do it. The price makes it almost a no-brainer now. Blu-Ray and Netflix make a PS3 an all-round entertainment centre. If you're going to get any usage out of it as a gaming machine though I'd recommend picking up a subscription to Playstation Plus which is Sony's subscription-based online service. I paid £30 for a year's membership this time last year and must have picked up close to 30 games for free thanks to it.

XBox for gaming purists
PS3 for great gaming experience plus lots of additional perks (It's basically an all in one entertainment system)

PC for gaming purists.
PS3 for the all-round entertainment experience.
XBox for people who want to pay for online and use a horrible controller.

:winking:

Always a PS3 for me. Always has been Playstation, I'm very loyal to it. Perhaps hypocritical of me when I challenge people who are so loyal to Apple, but I think it's largely a nostalgic thing! Have never like the shape or feel of the XBox controller and playing games on it just feels more clunky to me, but I really think it's a matter of opinion. I like to game, but I'm not a hardcore or a purist, and I think those guys will always gravitate towards XBox. I love my PS3 because as a media centre it is unbeatable. I love having iplayer, ITV player, 4OD and Sky on demand on there, I love running my external harddrive through it to watch stuff that I've downloaded, I love watching blurays on it. Will always be Playstation for me!

Don't get the 12gb model, they're gash and hold next to nothing.

I got told a little while ago (by someone very much in the know, industry regulator type thing) the thing that's holding up the PS4 is actually the PS2!!! Essentially Sony are shifting loads of them in developing countries and as such they don't want to support 3 platforms at once (games albeit slowly still are developed for the PS2, just not here).

I would say we're not going to be looking at replacing our PS3's until 2015 to be honest, they may launch ready for Q4 2014 but the price will mean they won't be affordable till at least 2015/16.

That is all I know about the PlayStation, I know nothing more, that's just the titbit I have. But I agree with everything above. If you want to game, then get an Xbox, if you want an all round experience, go PS3.

All that's been said about the Playstation being a multimedia tour de force can also be said of the Xbox. It has all the catch up channels, subscription based movie downloads such as Netflix and mine is wirelessly connected to two laptops so streaming downloaded music and films is a breeze.

Having never owned a PS3 the only benefit I can see over the Xbox as a multimedia system is the Blue Ray player.

Don't get the 12gb model, they're gash and hold next to nothing.

I got told a little while ago (by someone very much in the know, industry regulator type thing) the thing that's holding up the PS4 is actually the PS2!!! Essentially Sony are shifting loads of them in developing countries and as such they don't want to support 3 platforms at once (games albeit slowly still are developed for the PS2, just not here).

I would say we're not going to be looking at replacing our PS3's until 2015 to be honest, they may launch ready for Q4 2014 but the price will mean they won't be affordable till at least 2015/16.

That is all I know about the PlayStation, I know nothing more, that's just the titbit I have. But I agree with everything above. If you want to game, then get an Xbox, if you want an all round experience, go PS3.

Well Sony have just announced that they're pulling the PS2 from Japan so I'm sure the rest of the World will follow soon. They do sell shed-loads of them still in Eastern Europe and South America.

Personally I think they and Microsoft are both waiting for the other to blink. Both are making plenty of cash from the existing consoles but don't want to let the other get a head-start for next gen.

We're clearly well down the road towards a fanboy bitch-fest but this idea that the Xbox is the machine for serious gamers does make me laugh. Cross-game chat and slightly better graphics on some cross-platform games are definite advantages but the PS3 has plenty of those as well. Try playing Killzone 3 in 3D and with the Sharpshooter attachment for the Move. You're practically in the game. Plus you don't have to put up with the ad-ridden dashboard or pay to play it online.

Both are incredible gaming machines with strong exclusives and various technical advantages over the other.

Back