• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Won Col U player of the year last season. What a pile of **** he was for us!

He was great for us and has signed a new 2 year deal, our win ratio last year was only 5% when he didn't play and over 42% when he did, I know we had a very poor season last year but these figures are still impressive.

He was great for us and has signed a new 2 year deal, our win ratio last year was only 5% when he didn't play and over 42% when he did, I know we had a very poor season last year but these figures are still impressive.

Yeah I've heard he's been pretty impressive for you's. He's up there with the worst players I've ever seen wear a Southend shirt though.

Yeah I've heard he's been pretty impressive for you's. He's up there with the worst players I've ever seen wear a Southend shirt though.

Often the way though, a player can be rubbish at one club and different class elsewhere especially a striker it can often be the support they get or the style their club plays that makes all the difference.

I offer you the following names mostly for the old time fans on the board!

I will leave you to decide if they are better than any of the original 11!

Bobby Howlett
John Kurila
Alex Smith
Paul Roberts
Steve Mcgavin
Alan Shires
Kirk game
Gary Moore
Nicky Smith

This is the best I can come up with, any advances?

GK - Andy Woodman
RB - John White
CB - Pat Baldwin
CB - Matt Heath
LB - Owen Simpson
RM - Jamal Campbell-Ryce
CM - Jeff Hull
CM - Jason Cook
LM - Sanchez Watt
For - Roy McDonough
For - Mario Walsh

Harsh to include Donut in an all-time worse XI. I know he split fan opinion but at least the effort was always there.

Oops, should have read more carefully.

Efe Sodje was great for us and Adam Locke ok. Both should get into this team.

Before my time but did Spandau Ballet's finest rack up 300 odd games for us in two stints sandwiched between a spell at Col Ewe? What position did he play?

I'd say Barrett played for Col Ewe the day he buried his foot in the sand on the goal line rather than clear the ball. He was their best player that day

Harsh to include Donut in an all-time worse XI. I know he split fan opinion but at least the effort was always there.

Before my time but did Spandau Ballet's finest rack up 300 odd games for us in two stints sandwiched between a spell at Col Ewe? What position did he play?

Good call yes Tony Hadley did play for us in the 83-84 season before going back to Southend, he was a central defender. I suppose as there is a Spandau connection here I should say it was "True" :blush:

Good call yes Tony Hadley did play for us in the 83-84 season before going back to Southend, he was a central defender. I suppose as there is a Spandau connection here I should say it was "True" :blush:

Hadley, although primarily a Central Defender did play mostly in midfield in our Div 4 winning season in 1980/81 and scored the equalising goal against Rochdale to secure the title. He also played up-front on quite a regular basis earlier in his career.

I forgot Sodje played for that lot. Adam Locke to RM with JCR switching to the left I reckon in my original line-up. Sodje for Baldwin and Hadley for Heath.

Of course Garry Richards played for both clubs too.

Hadley, although primarily a Central Defender did play mostly in midfield in our Div 4 winning season in 1980/81 and scored the equalising goal against Rochdale to secure the title. He also played up-front on quite a regular basis earlier in his career.

Rochdale away was on Friday the 5th December. I don't think we won the title that early in the season. The home game was the last of the season, well after we had secured the title.

I think what you meant was the he scored the equaliser against Rochdale that ensured we went through the season without losing a home game. Our record finished:

Played 23
Won 19
Drew 4
For 47
Against 6

Rochdale away was on Friday the 5th December. I don't think we won the title that early in the season. The home game was the last of the season, well after we had secured the title.

I think what you meant was the he scored the equaliser against Rochdale that ensured we went through the season without losing a home game. Our record finished:

Played 23
Won 19
Drew 4
For 47
Against 6

Rochdale at home - not away. We won the title only the game before and Rochdale was the game in which we won the league - we only won by two points from Lincoln and that point secured us the title on a Friday night with Lincoln playing the following day. You didn't have to finish on the same day and time back then.

Back