• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Players that have returned

Firestorm

Pedant
Reading the Kev Maher thread on Ex Shrimpers made me think about players who have left and returned. Success or failure ?

From a while ago a couple of successes
Frankie Banks
Roy McDonough

I recall Bill Garner coming back around the time of the Tony Currie non appearance but I don't think he ever played ...

The biggest fail on the return front for me was Peter Taylor , and that was hardly all his fault

I'd say Spencer Prior and Andy Edwards were reasonably successful.

And some would say Darryl Flahavan was.

After I posted I had a trawl through the database.

Loan signings aside , there are only around 20 who have left and returned and I could only find 3 notable failures, Derek Woodley and Jackie French (both before my time) and Dominic Iorfa whose first time here was as big a disaster as his second.

Even Mark Beard played 30 odd games when we re signed him !

Biggest Success ...TILLY !

Tony Hadley - really cultured defender who if I recall left us and went to Col Utd and then returned for a 2nd spell. Took ages for him to remember to play football rather than hoof ball after he came back!!

Remember him against Liverpool dribbling the ball out of our own box, beating a few Liverpool players and then clearing - I had kittens whereas I should have had more faith.

Great player who should have done better in my opinion.

If you were to include loan signings with a reasonable gap between spells, then Macca could be thrown in. Granted he scored two goals against Macclesfield but I only though he was so so.... When he came back over a year later he was a bit of a revelation until last season.

If you were to include loan signings with a reasonable gap between spells, then Macca could be thrown in. Granted he scored two goals against Macclesfield but I only though he was so so.... When he came back over a year later he was a bit of a revelation until last season.

...which could also be down to the fact that previously he had been playing alongside players of the calibre of Maher and Bailey.

Tilson has made a few friends by returning. Probably one of the best re-signings we have made.

Mervyn Cawston returned in an Emergency and made 13 further appearances

Paul Roberts played more games the 2nd time round

Micky Beesley had a succesful 2nd spell too

Remember when Sansome returned as an emergency reserve keeper about five years ago? Did he ever actually play second time around?

Remember when Sansome returned as an emergency reserve keeper about five years ago? Did he ever actually play second time around?

I dont think he did, but remember him warming up in front of the East. Was a bit of a shame in one way as it should have been a bit of a joyous bit of fun welcoming a legend back. However I dont really remember there being too much fuss about it given the doom and gloom at the club at the time.

I dont think he did, but remember him warming up in front of the East. Was a bit of a shame in one way as it should have been a bit of a joyous bit of fun welcoming a legend back. However I dont really remember there being too much fuss about it given the doom and gloom at the club at the time.

He was named as a sub against Luton IIRC about 7 years ago. Daryl was suspended.

Last edited:
Hopefully soon we can say Lee Sawyer!

Back