• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Did Paul Sansome get two reds? Grimsby away, Middlesborough home?

Didn't Sansome get sent off at Brentford and Tilly end up in goal??

Definitely remember the Middlesborough one - still haven't forgiven that diving tart Bernie Slaven and thought he had at least one other. That was the game Tilly went in goal for.

Grimsby sounds about right, don't remember Brentford though.

Leo Roget 3

I think he deserves the freedom of Southend for the red when he lumped Marco Gabbiadini. Said it before, will say it again. One of my favourite SUFC moments, it's not often you see an entire stadium give a standing ovation to a player sent off. It was beautiful.

I think he deserves the freedom of Southend for the red when he lumped Marco Gabbiadini. Said it before, will say it again. One of my favourite SUFC moments, it's not often you see an entire stadium give a standing ovation to a player sent off. It was beautiful.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments, but you are getting your facts slightly muddled.

According to soccerbase, he was only booked for that. The roars of approval will have been for Gabbiadini getting red-carded.

He deserves his freedom of Southend for getting Alvin Martin the sack by being sent-off in a 1-0 home defeat to Hull.

His other reds were:

1. The biggest miscarriage of justice of the 20th Century (although it was later reversed, we never got our two points back)
2. Kingstonian in the FA Cup, where he ran - reports differ - anywhere from 30 to 80 yards to lamp a Kingstonian player.

It's maybe worth mentioning in dispatches that he also had a supporting role in one of my all-time favourite brawls (time for another thread) at Barnet, plus the home game when Roget destroyed their CD player.

Surely Mark Bentley got more than 1??

There's a lot of libel going on in this thread.

He only got one and it was a travesty (when a Col Ewe player understandably threw himself at the feet of the mighty Benno and Benno accidently trod on him).

Yorkshire Blue said:
I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments, but you are getting your facts slightly muddled.

According to soccerbase, he was only booked for that. The roars of approval will have been for Gabbiadini getting red-carded.

He deserves his freedom of Southend for getting Alvin Martin the sack by being sent-off in a 1-0 home defeat to Hull.

His other reds were:

1. The biggest miscarriage of justice of the 20th Century (although it was later reversed, we never got our two points back)
2. Kingstonian in the FA Cup, where he ran - reports differ - anywhere from 30 to 80 yards to lamp a Kingstonian player.

It's maybe worth mentioning in dispatches that he also had a supporting role in one of my all-time favourite brawls (time for another thread) at Barnet, plus the home game when Roget destroyed their CD player.
Well the ref was Steve Bennett, so you didn't actually expect him to send the right player off did you?

No way! Gabbiadini went off first for inciting the brawl and then Roget trudged off after. I'm almost 1000% certain of it. Surely?!

How on earth did Gower get sent off twice. Dont remember him tackling anyone. Ever.

How on earth did Gower get sent off twice. Dont remember him tackling anyone. Ever.

He was one of the Swansea three and then one of the Col Ewe two.

For the latter I believe he called Steve Bennett a ****ing ****. If he didn't he was in a minority that afternoon.

I suspect he got at least a yellow for dissent at the Vetch as well.

What about Mark Warren the centre back who played for the scum? I seemed to remember him having a few reds

Just what must have it been like back in the day when players were never sent off. I think Southend United went more than 50 years before we ever had a player sent off!!

Best one I remember was in our First Division relegation campaign when one of the worst refs ever, Steve Bennett, sent off Roget or Boere against Oxford for a second booking for a foul on Nigel Jemson. Can't remember which way round it was, but the general gist was that he sent off a white man, when a black player was the offender, or the other way round.
Went down to see the arrogant pr*ck in the referee's room to explain his decision and he refused to speak. Wanted to ask him if he was colourblind!

No ones mentioned Derick Payne for lamping David Speedie in front of the East. About the only positive thing he ever really offered the club and about the only thing he was ever remembered for. Another one who went off to a standing ovation.

Sorry i meant what is our fastest sending off from kick off?

It could well be Spicer the other night. The only other possible one I can remember is Roy McDonough against Newport in the FA Cup 1st Round in 1985 that may have been less than 10 minutes, maybe Bernie Fiend has some more info on that one?

Back