• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Playing devils advocate about our current goal drought.

Maybe we have a management team which hasnt got the nous to give the team creativity in the final 3rd.

Is it possible that we we need is a striker coach to come in and start working on improving our play in the final third and in particular from dead ball plays which have been clueless this season.

It would certainly be a cheaper option than another signing.

Maybe we have a management team which hasnt got the nous to give the team creativity in the final 3rd.

Is it possible that we we need is a striker coach to come in and start working on improving our play in the final third and in particular from dead ball plays which have been clueless this season.

Well I've been saying this for ages. I've never seen such poor striker training at Boots&Laces for all the years I have been watching. No correctional instructions or minor adjustments from Dave Penney. Phil Brown stays out of it, he seems to be all about defence. It's just passing or throwing a ball to a player who then shoots at goal with a goalie. Most shots go wide, over or straight down the middle at the goalie. Just like in our proper matches.

Does anyone remember what sort of player Dave Penney was ? His record was 50 odd goals in 350 odd games , not too bad if he was a midfielder or full back.

It would certainly be brilliant if we got a goalpoacher coach , even if its just one day a week. Someone like a Teddy Sheringham , who was naturally a fairly average player but worked really hard on his movement off the ball and his finishing + look what he achieved! I think he's working with the Hamsters with Big Sam , look how their strikers have been over performing this season.

There must be loads of really decent ex-strikers in the area who would jump at the chance of helping our strikers learn the art of decision making + keeping composure when in front of goal.

Totally agree that we just aren't effective in the final third, its been our problem all season, but you aren't going to bring any coach in who is going to make players suddenly better in front of goal, its far too instinct based rather than technical. They either have it or they don't.

We have plenty of chances every game, even Saturday had more chances than Plymouth, yet we just don't score.

I cant see one coach coming in with a magic wand.

No idea what the answer I, but another player could add the spark we are missing.

Totally agree that we just aren't effective in the final third, its been our problem all season, but you aren't going to bring any coach in who is going to make players suddenly better in front of goal, its far too instinct based rather than technical. They either have it or they don't.

We have plenty of chances every game, even Saturday had more chances than Plymouth, yet we just don't score.

I cant see one coach coming in with a magic wand.

No idea what the answer I, but another player could add the spark we are missing.

Absolute rubbish. I can name loads of great strikers in the past who have had striker training and didn't know they were striking the ball wrong, or with wrong body angle, leaning or stretching too much, until they were shown. All of them then started banging the goals in. The biggest was probably Ian Rush, who couldn't hit a barn door(sound familiar?) and was about to be sold for peanuts.

You can improve someone by a small percentage over a period of time.

If you think a coach will come in and say to Barry Corr, "''Ere Barry, have you tried kicking it with you other foot" and then suddenly he is a clinical goal machine then you are expecting a bit too much.

We need results in the next weeks, not months or years.

When Coulthirst is 8 yards out the biggest factor is not the intricacies of how he strikes a football but his composure and mentality. Scuff the ball in the right spot it will still go in, panic and just hit it at the keeper and it never will.

They benefit from technical coaching over time, it wont change things for us though.

You can not coach Coulthirst to be Assombalonga in a matter of weeks, or ever.

If you think a coach will come in and say to Barry Corr, "''Ere Barry, have you tried kicking it with you other foot" and then suddenly he is a clinical goal machine then you are expecting a bit too much.

When Coulthirst is 8 yards out the biggest factor is not the intricacies of how he strikes a football but his composure and mentality. Scuff the ball in the right spot it will still go in, panic and just hit it at the keeper and it never will.

They benefit from technical coaching over time, it wont change things for us though.

Go and watch him in training, you will see a striker that can't hit a barn door. He knows that when he is through on the goalie, that then brings on the bad composure and the panic.
Fix the accurate striking problem and he will be more confident and the other stuff won't happen so much. There are loads of 'How to strike the ball better with more accuracy' on you tube. It's a bit like telling a golfer that with fine adjustments in body posture, he will be a more accurate golfer. It really does work. Colthirst just needs it pointing out to him, and so does Weston. Corr is not so bad at shooting, his problem is he is not in or around the six yard box enough, where he scores all his goals.

on at least two occasions on Sat Coulthirst made the brake just wouldn't pass the ball. He goes for goal when other players
are in a better position unmarked (on Sat Jack for example) - this could be due to inexperience where he jut don't look up. Surely If we can see that the coaches can as well.

You can not coach Coulthirst to be Assombalonga in a matter of weeks, or ever.

There are things you can work on that will reap dividends now. For example, players running off the ball.

On Saturday there was a situation where we had a three on three (it may even have been 3 on 2 - I can't remember). Shaq had the ball, and both Pigott and Worrall (IIRC) were up with him. Both of the players without the ball ran in perfectly straight lines. Neither tried to lose their man. In the end Shaq's shot was weak and straight at McCormick.

In that situation everyone was to blame. Shaq's shot was poor; he really should have make McCormick work harder, but both the forwards with him should have been making much better runs, than in perfectly straight lines. They should have been trying to create space for themselves to give Shaq a better alternative.

However, given the lack of an alternative Shaq should still have buried it.

Movement off the ball is something that can be taught, and should reap dividends in the short term...

Good old David Crown he sits near me in the east, he new where the bloody GOAL was!!!!!!

I'm guessing, having not seen them train a lot is down to composure with our players.

I would hope their shooting isn't as bad in training...if it is then they are simply not good enough and we should get in some new faces.

Personally I would have the players down at Roots Hall and create a competetive shooting competition between all players with a points scoring system as a way of trying to replicate the pressure as best as possible of a live game at Roots Hall (nothing can fully replicate the real thing fully though).

I'm guessing, having not seen them train a lot is down to composure with our players.

I would hope their shooting isn't as bad in training...if it is then they are simply not good enough and we should get in some new faces.

I'd probably go along with that. Which is probably why PB is saying he's not worried. The last thing he wants to do is make the players even more anxious on front of goal. He needs them to relax and keep calm.

There are things you can work on that will reap dividends now. For example, players running off the ball.

On Saturday there was a situation where we had a three on three (it may even have been 3 on 2 - I can't remember). Shaq had the ball, and both Pigott and Worrall (IIRC) were up with him. Both of the players without the ball ran in perfectly straight lines. Neither tried to lose their man. In the end Shaq's shot was weak and straight at McCormick.

In that situation everyone was to blame. Shaq's shot was poor; he really should have make McCormick work harder, but both the forwards with him should have been making much better runs, than in perfectly straight lines. They should have been trying to create space for themselves to give Shaq a better alternative.

However, given the lack of an alternative Shaq should still have buried it.

Movement off the ball is something that can be taught, and should reap dividends in the short term...

Exactly this.

Coaching a striker can definitely reap benefits in the short term + to say otherwise is ridiculously stupid.
Hitting the back of the net is as much about movement off the ball , making space , knowing where your team mates are and what they are going to do , which runs hurt a defence + of course the all important composure in front of goal. All of these bits of knowledge add up up to improve a players CONFIDENCE. It really is all about confidence - this is the biggest factor between a good player and an excellent player. Think Gavin Tomlin - he looked like a fish out of water for about 20 games then bang! 1 goal + he looked World class for the rest of the season!!!
There are so many things a top class coach can give to influence positivity into a player , the more knowledge a player has the better , they need coaching not just on the training pitch but to be sat down + go through videos of games + what should have been done in certain situations , what different decisions should be better for next time....All we see Dave Penney doing with the strikers is lobbing the ball so that they smash a half volley at Ted Smith 20 minutes before kick off. I sincerely hope there is a lot more from him at Boots + Laces monday to friday.

Exactly this.

Coaching a striker can definitely reap benefits in the short term + to say otherwise is ridiculously stupid.
Hitting the back of the net is as much about movement off the ball , making space , knowing where your team mates are and what they are going to do , which runs hurt a defence + of course the all important composure in front of goal. All of these bits of knowledge add up up to improve a players CONFIDENCE. It really is all about confidence - this is the biggest factor between a good player and an excellent player. Think Gavin Tomlin - he looked like a fish out of water for about 20 games then bang! 1 goal + he looked World class for the rest of the season!!!
There are so many things a top class coach can give to influence positivity into a player , the more knowledge a player has the better , they need coaching not just on the training pitch but to be sat down + go through videos of games + what should have been done in certain situations , what different decisions should be better for next time....All we see Dave Penney doing with the strikers is lobbing the ball so that they smash a half volley at Ted Smith 20 minutes before kick off. I sincerely hope there is a lot more from him at Boots + Laces monday to friday.

I'm sure there is. I don't know what they do, but I'm sure they do more than the 10 minutes or so before the match.

Looking on the bright side, if we draw all our remaining home games 0-0, we should avoid relegation. Just saying..........

Back