• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Plumbing question

Pubey

Hi all,

Just moved into our new house last week. There is a combi boiler (Greenstar 24i) with a digital panel on the front and a RF thermostat downstairs.

When we moved in hot water came out of the taps and shower so we were happy. This morning got up early for first day back at work to find that there was no hot water coming from the shower (but there was from the taps), so had a quick bath instead. On the digital display on the boiler there appear to be settings for hot water timings, and this is currently running the OFF programme. This confuses me, because firstly I didn't think a combi boiler would need a timer, it is just on demand, and secondly because it's been working fine for the previous week.

Any help would be greatly received, before I call out a plumber for something very silly and embarrassing!

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDI with an RF thermostat.

My shower and taps work fine with the HW timer set to off. I believe this timer is for the keep hot facility - there is a small tank inside the boiler to provide instant hot water (presumably for those who can't wait 20 seconds for the boiler to kick in)

I would suspect the shower. BTW if it is an electric it is not fed from the boiler.

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDI with an RF thermostat.

My shower and taps work fine with the HW timer set to off. I believe this timer is for the keep hot facility - there is a small tank inside the boiler to provide instant hot water (presumably for those who can't wait 20 seconds for the boiler to kick in)

I would suspect the shower. BTW if it is an electric it is not fed from the boiler.

Ahh that sounds sensible. I'm 99% sure it's an electric shower, so will investigate! Cheers Rudi

Rudi, perhaps you can help me as well then? I live in a block of purpose built flats. My problem is that whenever i flush the toilet there is a horrible loud continuous groaning sound from the pipes that lasts about 2 minutes while the cistern is filling up behind the bog. Now i also have a water tank in my airing cupboard with a ballcock but this dosnt fill for whatever reason. I'm not 100% sure whether its meant to or not. When i flush the toilet, and then go to wash my hands the noise gets louder until i turn the tap off. I also think the bloke in the flat upstaris has the same issue. Are they connected?
Cheers Steven

Rudi, perhaps you can help me as well then? I live in a block of purpose built flats. My problem is that whenever i flush the toilet there is a horrible loud continuous groaning sound from the pipes that lasts about 2 minutes while the cistern is filling up behind the bog. Now i also have a water tank in my airing cupboard with a ballcock but this dosnt fill for whatever reason. I'm not 100% sure whether its meant to or not. When i flush the toilet, and then go to wash my hands the noise gets louder until i turn the tap off. I also think the bloke in the flat upstaris has the same issue. Are they connected?
Cheers Steven

I'm not a plumber I'm afraid but I know some pipes can vibrate when water flows though them - perhaps that is the issue?

Ahh that sounds sensible. I'm 99% sure it's an electric shower, so will investigate! Cheers Rudi
Just as a side note, my electric shower also needs a lot longer to give hot water early in the morning than it does during the day. Of course, that may just be my imagination on a cold, dark morning!!

Just as a side note, my electric shower also needs a lot longer to give hot water early in the morning than it does during the day. Of course, that may just be my imagination on a cold, dark morning!!

Have you tried using ralgex instead of shower gel?

Cheers Steven

Also not a plumber, but i've always been led to believe the sounds you are experiencing are caused by trapped air in the pipes. Try turning off your main stop-tap, turn on all your taps until everything is emptied and then turn on again.
However, if the bloke upstairs has the same problem, you may both have to do this at the same time otherwise you are just pushing the air backwards and forwards between you.

That would be because your water supply will be colder first thing in the morning than later in the day when the ambient temperature is higher

I agree Tone, but if it helps people with problems and others need help in this tight economic climate it is ok, of course we cannot be held responsible for any bad information tendered.

I agree Tone, but if it helps people with problems and others need help in this tight economic climate it is ok, of course we cannot be held responsible for any bad information tendered.

My lawyer disagrees and will be contacting the owners in due course regarding the artexing advice XXXL16 provided some time ago.

My boiler is finally working properly after being here since May 2010 ... only took 15 months and about 4 different people!

:nope:

Back