• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Taken from the Sporting Life Website...

"VALE HOPING FOR TAKE-OFF

Cash-strapped Coca-Cola League One club Port Vale may be set for a financial windfall by renaming themselves and their stadium name in honour of Stoke-born Reginald Mitchell, who designed the Spitfire fighter plane.

American billionaire Sidney Frank, 85 - one of the world's wealthiest men - believes Mitchell should be honoured for designing the Spitfire, and now Vale could be set to profit from the octogenarian's wishes.

Chairman Bill Bratt learned of Frank's admiration for Mitchell via a recent newspaper article, in which he said he was prepared to pay for a statue of the Stoke-born inventor in London.

Bratt contacted Frank with a proposal for a deal which would see the Stoke club receive a financial injection in return for changing their name to Port Vale Spitfires and renaming Vale Park the Reginald Mitchell Stadium.

A statue of Mitchell and a Spitfire museum and visitor centre would also form part of the proposal, but Bratt stresses discussions with Frank are still in the early stages - and no figures have yet been mentioned.

Bratt revealed: "I read about Sidney Frank's admiration for Reginald Mitchell, and he was saying how he would like to do pay for a statue in London to mark his memory. But any such statue should be in his home town here in Stoke, so I got in touch with Mr Frank through his agent.

"Discussions have only just started, but we are hoping to strike a deal with Mr Frank which would see the club change its name to Port Vale Spitfires and the stadium renamed the Reginald Mitchell Stadium."

Mitchell was born in 1895 in Stoke and died in 1937, and Bratt added: "I have got a statue of Winston Churchill in my house and a model of Reginald Mitchell's Spitfire - because after Churchill, Reginald Mitchell was probably the most important person in Britain winning World War Two.

"Unfortunately he didn't live to see his plane fight during the conflict, but his importance to Britain and Fighter Command in World War Two cannot be overstated. What better way to commemorate one of Stoke's most famous sons than naming the stadium after him?

"He was born within a couple of miles of Vale Park - and having a statue here to commemorate him would serve as a fitting tribute to his memory.

"I would also like a museum in tribute to the Spitfire and Reginald Mitchell, and that could be visited throughout the week and not just on match-days.""

Port Vale Spitfires? I could see changing the nickname from The Valiants to the Spitfires, but Port Vale Spitfires? Sounds like a bloody baseball team...

And how embarrassing would it be if someone did some research and uncovered evidence that Reg Mitchell was a Stoke City fan? Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me...

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 11 2005,10:11)]And how embarrassing would it be if someone did some research and uncovered evidence that Reg Mitchell was a Stoke City fan?  Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me...

oops.gif
That hadn't occurred (Sp?) to me...

How funny would that be?
laugh.gif

If my memory serves me well The 'Carvair', a car/passenger plane, had been designed at Southend and also the motorised steps that go next to planes for passengers to get on or off.(Aviation Traders?). Perhaps we could call the new stadium at FF 'Big, fat, noisy piston powered, ugly sky elephant stadium' or ' Diesel driven steps thing that no one knows the name of Park'.
Further to that, our airport had a Hurricane squadron there in WWII. ' Wet and windy Towers' comes to mind. What were those mushrooms called again?

Back