• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tomorrow's referee needs little introduction; he is the youthful looking Gavin Ward from Oxted in Surrey.

His last match, or should I say half a match, was the ill-fated fixture at Aldershot on Boxing Day last season, when, in the eys of some, he became a good referee because his bad decisions favoured us for once.

The previous one was the home game against Shrewsbury (3-0), also last season, which was his first return to Roots Hall for a League game since he mishandled the match against Gillingham nearly three years ago. He had returned since for a JPT match, against the same opposition the year before last, and that went much better; generally JPT games are lower key.

The Shrewsbury game was undoubtedly one of his better ones with a couple of penalties going our way and just three yellows shaded by the Shrews.

This is his sixth season as a League referee. He has refereed 7 home matches. His first three games went pretty much okay. They were the JPT defeat on pens by Dagenham, the 2-1 win against Hartlepool (who had Sam Collins sent off in that match) and, four seasons ago, the 2-1 home win against Swindon.

The fourth one was also four seasons ago against Bristol Rovers when he declined to send off the opposing goalkeeper for a handball outside the area. Notwithstanding that decision, it wasn't the best of performances from Mr Ward.

The fifth home match was when he mishandled that Gillingham home game three seasons ago with an astonishingly inept display producing 9 yellow cards.

Since then he also took charge of our away win at Leyton Orient three years ago.

He was an absolutely first class linesman. Lined in numerous Premiership matches and some full internationals. He is looking to replicate that success in the middle and therefore will probably be disappointed that he has been deservedly overtaken in the pecking order by several younger officials (even if they don't look younger). He had been trying to card his way back into recognition; I don't think it worked and hopefully he is rethinking his strategy.

His card count this season is once again above average for both yellows and reds with 46 and 4 respectively, from 13 games.

Assistants are John Magill, a short, bald man from Colchester (not got much going for him at all) and Ryan Atkin from London with Michael Webb from Surrey doing the 4th official stuff.

I don't recall him making too many bad decisions in the Aldershot game. The penalty was a penalty, and the red card was deserved.

Assistants are John Magill, a short, bald man from Colchester (not got much going for him at all) .

That just made me LOL! Thanks as ever Mick, let's hope young Gavlar has one of his better games tomorrow.

Yes, that's about the sum of it, we have to hope he has one of his good days today. I'm not going to tempt fate by saying anything else!

I reckon that was one of his really good days today. As well as great entertainment served up by both teams I thought Mr Ward did a great job.

I reckon that was one of his really good days today. As well as great entertainment served up by both teams I thought Mr Ward did a great job.

Good with nearly all decisions. Played the advantage plenty of times. The only complaint was the booking of Britt and a free kick given against him when their defender virtually jumped over him to put the ball out for a corner.

Good with nearly all decisions. Played the advantage plenty of times. The only complaint was the booking of Britt and a free kick given against him when their defender virtually jumped over him to put the ball out for a corner.

He did have a good day, which he has to be fair, most times recently I've seen him. My criticism would be the blatant time wasting of Port Vale particularly the keeper. Needed a card to bring him to order. Also thought we had a blatant handball turned down in the 1st half.

Agree with most of this but I think BA wasn't booked. Gavin shaped up to book BA but changed his mind and let him off. However I think Pope was lucky to not see red.

Agree with most of this but I think BA wasn't booked. Gavin shaped up to book BA but changed his mind and let him off. However I think Pope was lucky to not see red.

That was a direct blow to the head with the elbow by Pope and did deserve red, ur right

[FONT=&quot]Ref seemed ok.
Kept the game flowing most of the time? I hate the whistle happy ones the most. He and the lino spotted the hand ball for the disallowed goal first half and rightly booked the player[/FONT].

Thought there clear contact and Tomlin had a good should for a pen...

There were a couple of things about his performance that annoyed me. The main one was the amount of time that the PV 'keeper was allowed to hold onto the ball.

I timed (using a watch, not just counting) him holding onto the ball for about 12 seconds on average, which is against the rules. From the FIFA Laws of the game:

A goalkeeper is not permitted to keep control of the ball in his hands for me than 6 seconds. A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball:

• while the ball is between his hands or between his hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body)
  • while holding the ball in his outstretch open hand
  • while in the act of bouncing it or tossing it into the air

I believe the 6 seonds rule is no longer there, I'm sure other more qualified people will soon advise.......

Yes that was withdrawn a couple of seasons ago so the ref (who had the best performance we have seen for a long time) did know what he was doing. Unlike a lot of refs in the stand.

the keeper would hold onto the ball until the ref turned around to look at him and then he started his run or complained about Assombalonga/Freddy being within 20 yards. At which point the ref would signal to take it and he did. It was clever from the keeper, although frustrating!

Probably couldn't spell his name....if it had been Corr he'd have been straight in the book

Back