• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Powell deserves a chance

If we are going to be silly and compare ourselves with clubs that are nowhere near similar to us. Why don't we start with the likes of Hullbridge Sports. After all we are closer to them than we are Leicester.

A bit of a simplistic question, but let’s say that we don’t get relegated this season. Would you then give Powell a chance to work with a full squad, to see how he does, or will you continue to call for his resignation?
I personally wouldn't give him the chance if we went down. I don't particularly think he's showed anything so far which would make me trust him to rebuild a squad in League 2.

I'd be more than happy if he turned this around, got us firing again next season and we had a really strong season. I just worry that we're in such a position that if he doesn't turn this around, we will be in League 2 next season.

Of course he deserves more time. At the end of the day a few bad results doesn't make someone a bad manager over night and the same goes with wins. The problem I have is I don't know if he's a good manager or not.

Ok I picked out 3 teams. Luton, Charlton & Scunthorpe who are just above us. Looking at times these clubs went behind then either won or drew the game.

Luton - W3 D5 (20 points).
Charlton - W3 D5 (20 points).
Scunthorpe: W1 D2 (5 points).
Us: W1 D1 (4 points).

So no, not every team is the same though there may be an agreement with league position and goals scored first/second.

It’s actually rather easy to find these statistics online.

Here’s the League One record for teams when conceding first (we’re 3rd bottom, averaging 0.22 points per game): https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england3&tid=m

And here’s the record when we score first (we’re 3rd, averaging 2.62 points when going ahead): https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england3&tid=l

What does this prove? Well, it proves CP’s point: we’re not very good at chasing the game (and we are very good when we go in front!). And overall we’re mid-table.

FWIW, I tend to think it’s a bit of a motivational tool by CP. If my manager said I wasn’t performing in a particular situation, I’d be hell-bent on proving him wrong. Hopefully we’ll see some of that spirit tomorrow.

I personally wouldn't give him the chance if we went down. I don't particularly think he's showed anything so far which would make me trust him to rebuild a squad in League 2.

I'd be more than happy if he turned this around, got us firing again next season and we had a really strong season. I just worry that we're in such a position that if he doesn't turn this around, we will be in League 2 next season.

Of course he deserves more time. At the end of the day a few bad results doesn't make someone a bad manager over night and the same goes with wins. The problem I have is I don't know if he's a good manager or not.

....he played Robinson far too often to be allowed more time

....his very promising midfield have gone backwards under him

....and to play Simon Cox up front on his own is unforgivable.

......1/2 shots per game most matches

......supply to forward line non existent from midfield or wings

All of the above mean he ain't got a clue......goodbye and thanks for being a good player for SUFC.

A bit of a simplistic question, but let’s say that we don’t get relegated this season. Would you then give Powell a chance to work with a full squad, to see how he does, or will you continue to call for his resignation?
GBJ i just dont believe he is a decent manager ,Yes the teamhas suffered more than its fair share of injuries i agree,but the man himself dosent seem capable of motivating the troops he has,,He was responsible for bringing in Hyam ,Dieng and Mantom our midfield and that is where our trouble lies ,not with the injuries, not one of them shows and leadership,yet he made Mantom captain .Im sorry i would love the man to succeed i just dont think he will , hopefully he will prove me wrong.

I was very much behind the sacking of Brown as towards the end the fight had gone from him and team completely , I don't feel Chris is at that point just yet and think he will turn things around. Yes it's been a disappointment of a season and some performances have seemed utter toothless of late but lets get behind the boys for the rest of the season , hope we cling to our LG1 status and regroup again in summer. Should next season with the squad back together follow this one then my opinion will drastically change. Sometimes for all the tactics and ways of playing , a Half time bollocking can also have a desired effect both positive and negative , question is do the players have the inner character to stand up and be counted when the chips are down.

I can handle losing and even being relegated but not without a fight.

Remember as fans although we're not good enough to be in the 11 , We would run through brick walls for cause because its the club we love. Lets see a bit more of that please , That's all I am asking for.

Not being unreasonable is it?

Last edited:
We could definitely do with a striker, as long as it's one that has kept himself fit. We might even need to take a gamble on someone that isn't 100% at this point. We've obviously got a bit of wedge since the Ferrier deal fell through so IMO would be wise to try and get someone that's gonna bring a bit of experience and a bit of fight.

I don't actually think he should be sacked, mainly because I don't see anyone else out there who could guarantee a lift. Anyone coming in to replace him would ultimately be a gamble.

I also agree that I don't think he's lost the dressing room. However, he must be close. There's no leader on that pitch. No doubt a few of the lads will be looking to the bench for some inspiration and lift, but they aint gonna find it when he's looking like his dog has just died.

I don't think he's given up, but again he looks close. That interview last night reminded me of Phil Brown after the Northampton game last season. "I was having a great week up until the 55th minute when we conceded" or something like that. It just sounds like he's run out of ideas and drive to me.

By no means am I solely blaming Powell here either. His two assistants need to share some responsibility but it's ultimately the players that cross that white line. As harsh as it sounds, some of them are finished (Turner), some of them are woefully out of form (Macca) and others simply aint good enough (Elvis, although he is young so does have time on his side here).

Do we just accept that and if we do go down say Powell got unlucky with injuries and deserves a go in League 2?
Swap powells coaches for someone like Adam Barratt with all the passion for the club

I was very much behind the sacking of Brown as towards the end the fight had gone from him and team completely , I don't feel Chris is at that point just yet and think he will turn things around. Yes it's been a disappointment of a season and some performances have seemed utter toothless of late but lets get behind the boys for the rest of the season , hope we cling to our LG1 status and regroup again in summer. Should next season with the squad back together follow this one then my opinion will drastically change. Sometimes for all the tactics and ways of playing , a Half time bollocking can also have a desired effect both positive and negative , question is do the players have the inner character to stand up and be counted when the chips are down.

I can handle losing and even being relegated but not without a fight.

Remember as fans although we're not good enough to be in the 11 , We would run through brick walls for cause because its the club we love. Lets see a bit more of that please , That's all I am asking for.

Not being unreasonable is it?

Sadly that simply is just not true.

There has been a defeatist attitude amongst fans since November. Plenty of "January cant come quick enough" comments meant the fans didn't rate the players we had. This has now turned into "next season cant come quick enough"......Some want Powell out NOW, some would wait until the summer and most don't think he can motivate the very players none of you like and want them gone in May anyway.. The season is far from over so our so called 'loyal fans' better start showing up otherwise your doom will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

CP's biggest problem was his outstanding achievement when he took over last January. We climbed the league under no pressure and had some cracking games at RH. To many of you got drunk on 'Promotion fever'......Even the top 6 target disappeared the night Tom Hopper and Harry Lennon limped off before half time. Strange how some of you want the same players back, who were released last summer and deemed not good enough for our 'promotion challenge'

Even then some off you cant accept reality. Despite some of us telling you on the first couple of pages of the January transfer thread, be prepared to be underwhelmed. Many of you still expected the mythical 25 goal a season target man. In fact not one but two of them and perhaps a commanding 10 goals from set pieces CB and a new Peter Butler why we are at it.

Now I know football clouds rational thinking. But if you take a step back and actually take on board what happened during in the Window.......Do you honestly believe that was CP's doing or could it just be that there is a bigger picture, one that no manager could thrive under. Not with the targets you have set him.

Last edited:
....he played Robinson far too often to be allowed more time

....his very promising midfield have gone backwards under him

....and to play Simon Cox up front on his own is unforgivable.

......1/2 shots per game most matches

......supply to forward line non existent from midfield or wings

All of the above mean he ain't got a clue......goodbye and thanks for being a good player for SUFC.

I literally have no idea why you support Southend. You haven't liked any Southend manager we have had

He’s being honest.

He could lie and say “We didn’t deserve to lose 0-3”. Can’t imagine that adhering him to those fans who already want his head on a spike.
He chose the wrong words. He should have said that we were lucky not to lose by more goals, or that he was relieved that we didn't lose by more. To say what he did reveals a certain element of surrender....

The thing that will get CP through this is that he really does care about this club.

Watching him go through so many emotions showed really he does give a **** !

He’s one of us! Keep the faith people!

Why are you disregarding the injuries though?
DO you think with a fully fit squad that we'd be in the same position?
Interesting comments from sky commentators and Kenny Jackett himself suggesting that Portsmouth had been struggling of late due to losing one major player.

Kenny Jackett af the end saying that they’d lost a couple of players who would’ve made the difference in them being able to see out the game.

Some of the best teams in our country struggle when you take out a couple of their first team. How many have we lost?

I try to see the logic behind every opinion on here, but disregarding the impact of injuries on our club is just beyond me.

Even if he manages to keep us safe, axes the deadwood in the summer, adds some decent players, and has us upper/mid-table next season?

We both know that isn't going to happen. Today was a case of Pompey taking their foot off the accelerator at 3-0 and getting enormously complacent. Fair play that we had the intent to get back at them, but if they'd kept the intensity we'd have been staring down the barrel of 6-0.

Powell is taking us down....

We both know that isn't going to happen. Today was a case of Pompey taking their foot off the accelerator at 3-0 and getting enormously complacent. Fair play that we had the intent to get back at them, but if they'd kept the intensity we'd have been staring down the barrel of 6-0.

Powell is taking us down....
@superblue24 As above, according to Pompey's manager, it was due to them having to cope without 'a couple of players who had the quality and experience to close out the game'. LIke ANY team who had amassed a three goal margin, they thought they'd put the game to bed. Our makeshift team of youth players and stand-ins showed them that they hadn't.

The moment our team shows that they don't want to play for the manager, I'll agree with you. Right now, we're down to bare bones and it shows.

What does this prove? Well, it proves CP’s point: we’re not very good at chasing the game (and we are very good when we go in front!). And overall we’re mid-table.

FWIW, I tend to think it’s a bit of a motivational tool by CP. If my manager said I wasn’t performing in a particular situation, I’d be hell-bent on proving him wrong. Hopefully we’ll see some of that spirit tomorrow.

You were right!

Back