• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
I don't know why I looked on borochat, but I did. Mainly because I'm working from home today! Either way, I read this on a thread entitled Southend Keeper:

In extra time, after they'd scored, one of their players went down in their own box after a knock in the chest from one of our lads. The referee came over but I noted their keeper pulled him up rather insistently with minimal delay, rather than let him stay on the floor and pass time.

I thought that was alright and worth a mention.

Fair play to the fella.

Bentley at Southend is also class.

I have to admit I also noticed that, and couldn't understand what he was doing.

:winking:

Not deemed good enough, however, by Gareth Southgate for the England U-21 squad for the Euros. Marcus Bettinelli who hasn't played a game this season for Fulham is good enough, apparently, though!

He has played 45 for Fulham this season. As well as scoring .... an own goal - http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2015/...wn-goal-vs-sunderland-2015-fa-cup-for-fulham/

Although, Jonathan Bond has barely played for Watford this season and has made fewer league appearances than Ted Smith this season albeit at a higher level.

I don't know why I looked on borochat, but I did. Mainly because I'm working from home today! Either way, I read this on a thread entitled Southend Keeper:

I have to admit I also noticed that, and couldn't understand what he was doing.

:winking:

He probably didn't want him to have to get treatment and then go off causing us to be a man light for a few seconds...

Not deemed good enough, however, by Gareth Southgate for the England U-21 squad for the Euros. Marcus Bettinelli who hasn't played a game this season for Fulham is good enough, apparently, though!

He has played 45 for Fulham this season. As well as scoring .... an own goal - http://www.soccer-blogger.com/2015/...wn-goal-vs-sunderland-2015-fa-cup-for-fulham/

Although, Jonathan Bond has barely played for Watford this season and has made fewer league appearances than Ted Smith this season albeit at a higher level.

I'm not sure if anyone has told Southgate that we have two professional leagues below the Championship.

I'm not sure if anyone has told Southgate that we have two professional leagues below the Championship.

Generally players are in those leagues because they dont lack the quality to be higher.

Bentley has lots of potential, but England ? Not sure.

That's my problem with International player development in general.

Southgate as an example;

Achieved nothing, but a mediocre tenure, at a then below average championship club. Poor record for succesful transfer dealing (i.e purchase player, player perfoms really well, team benefit by promotion/winning a cup, club stature rises, attract more higher level players, team success follows and when player(s) sold make profit re-invest in club). Then lands a job in the England network, because of the old boys club, with no knowledge of lower leagues. Relies on Premier/Championship reserve and development squads to bring new "talent" through. Some of whom will not develop into regular Premier league players, let alone regular Internationals. And how does the U21 set up prepare players for the international stage, for the most part playing in half empty stadiums.
Compare that to the knowledge in the English game that someone like Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is developing. If his career follows a succesful trend, he will probably never touch an international U21 team.

So the likes of the extremely talented Bentley, who is playing regular first team, meaningful football, will, for the most part be perpetually overlooked, encouraging them to move on to get noticed, whilst a reserve team player can rack up 20-30 U21 caps, and work their way down the leagues. Next season, when looking at the programme away from home pre match or half time, just spot how many players are listed as "ex/former England U21 International....." You might be surprised at just how many there are!!

I think I've probably highlighted why I take very little interest in the national side, as it's full of overpaid underperforming primo's making the most of a system that cannot succeed at the top of international football and every 2 years left me perpetually disappointed at my nation [England] being shown up on the international stage again! And that's with England qualifying for most tournement finals, football wise, thank God I'm not from any of the other countries in the UK!!

Rant Over.

Last edited:
Next season, when looking at the programme away from home pre match or half time, just spot how many players are listed as "ex/former England U21 International....." You might be surprised at just how many there are!!

It really isn't surprising how few of the under 21 team will make it to the first team.

Joe Hart will be England number 1 for around 10 years at least, in that time there will probably be around 15 goalkeepers to have played for the England under 21 team (3 goalkeepers per squad which changes every 2 years). There will probably be 2 goalkeepers from that which go onto play for England, meaning 13 don't.

As for Dan Bentley, he is being kept out the team by someone who has made more first team appearances, the majority being at a higher level, and someone who has been a regular for a Championship team. If they were to look at League 2 for goalkeepers, then they could even pick Matt Ingram or Christie Pym (current England under 20 keeper) ahead of him.

Out of the 27 named in the England under 21 team, only 2 have made less than 10 appearances this season - Loftus-Cheek and Bond (3rd choice goalkeeper).

One thing I'll say for Southgate is that he has been on record several times as saying that his squad was going to be, where possible, full of the players who have got England to tournament and it was therefore always going to be difficult for anyone to break into the squad at this stage unless they were replacing players who have pulled out of going to the tournament.

Bettinelli, Bond and Butland have been in and around the squad for a while and were always going to go to the Euros.

If they are talented enough, I'd want them to have a shout at development, rather than being totally overlooked as they are in the main. Obviously, they have to be better than those in U21 development teams higher up the tree. L2 players would certianly be a minority, but not to say the odd player such as Bentley, aren't talented to get a shout whilst they are in that age group and slipped through the ever increasing scouting net of bigger clubs.

Why would you want League 2 players in the England U-21 squad?

With keepers I don't think the level matters too much, if their on form playing regular first team football and standing out not just to their own fans but others then they deserve a shout. A keeper has to make the same sort of saves at every level just fewer of them lower down the leagues. DB makes those saves, wins points for the team and should be in with a shout of the u-21s

With keepers I don't think the level matters too much, if their on form playing regular first team football and standing out not just to their own fans but others then they deserve a shout. A keeper has to make the same sort of saves at every level just fewer of them lower down the leagues. DB makes those saves, wins points for the team and should be in with a shout of the u-21s

I agree. Lots of championship clubs after him so he's seen as a good keeper and most who were and are keeping an eye on him, would have been there first team keeper if he'd went in January.

If they are talented enough, I'd want them to have a shout at development, rather than being totally overlooked as they are in the main. Obviously, they have to be better than those in U21 development teams higher up the tree. L2 players would certianly be a minority, but not to say the odd player such as Bentley, aren't talented to get a shout whilst they are in that age group and slipped through the ever increasing scouting net of bigger clubs.

Valid point, but if players are good enough for the England set up they will undoubtedly move on to a club at a higher level. When they are playing at a higher level with better coaching, regularly playing a better standard of football, that would be the time to introduce them to International squad.

Regarding Bentley, he's a decent keeper who should kick on with experience. No-one knows at the moment how far his potential will take him, in 5 years time he could be playing in the Premier League...Barclays or Ryman.

But he is nowhere near the finished article yet, in fact if he was 5 years older he'd be an average League 2 Keeper, and it's blinkered in the extreme to think there are less than 3 qualified keepers higher up the pecking order than him for the National Team.

Not disputing that, just questioning why he should leapfrog those higher up the pecking order?

Valid point, but if players are good enough for the England set up they will undoubtedly move on to a club at a higher level. When they are playing at a higher level with better coaching, regularly playing a better standard of football, that would be the time to introduce them to International squad.

Regarding Bentley, he's a decent keeper who should kick on with experience. No-one knows at the moment how far his potential will take him, in 5 years time he could be playing in the Premier League...Barclays or Ryman.

But he is nowhere near the finished article yet, in fact if he was 5 years older he'd be an average League 2 Keeper, and it's blinkered in the extreme to think there are less than 3 qualified keepers higher up the pecking order than him for the National Team.

I don't disagree with most of what you've said there. And I agree totally with your second paragraph. All I think I am trying to say is that it is not impossible, although highly improbale that a L2 youngster can be more talented than someone in a development squad higher up the tree, just because one has been spotted and one hasn't for whatever reason. However, if that type of player is playing for a L2/ team for instance, surely, from an overall footballing perspective isn't it better for football as a whole, if that player has an equal chance of higher recognition at that level, rather than having to move on to get it? If a Talented and I stress, as I said earlier, the type of player we would be talking about, would be outstandingly talented, gets that recognition, therefore stays at his club maybe for an extra season or 2, than he otherwise would, where his value increases and when he does move his club gets a fairer transfer fee, then that would be one way where a lower league club has access to much needed finances, than at present most probably.

The only point I think I do disagree with is your final paragraph. If Bentley was 5 years older...., well he's not, I'm comparing now, as per what you've stated in your second paragraph. And I'm not saying there are less than three qualified keepers higher up, but most of those keepers are playing age group football and not playing as much first team football, which as I said is more meaningful. It's a subjective view granted, but if 2 keepers were very similar in ability at that level, then I would go for the player with the most first team experience, whatever league level that was, in this case L2.

As much as it would be good for him to play for England U21s, I am not complaining that he hasn't been taken away from playing for Southend for international duty!

Back