• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PRE-MATCH THREAD - EURO 2021 England v Germany - Tuesday 29th June 2021 5pm.

What do you think the England result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wouldn't be surprised to see us play with 5 at the back and target the German flanks on the counter-attack.

Not confident about this. We need to raise our game and Germany showed they are weak against the counter-attack, especially with Hummels back there.

I've been in bits about this since the end of the last game.
Then the pens tonight, with two teams I don't care about, nearly ended me.

For me it's
Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Tripper (league winning full backs from England and Spain, got the experience and personality for it).
Rice
Henderson Phillips. Again, experience. Henderson can go box to box and grab the game with more decisive passing, Rice to hold. Phillips deep, playing the long passes.
Sancho, Kane, Sterling.

Gone for pace up top. If Germany play a back 3 Kane can drop into the space at the top of a diamond and make one of the centre backs either pull onto him, leaving Sancho and Sterling 1 v 1 or Kane has space to pick them out like at Spurs. If Germany go 433 we can match them if we need to.
Went Sancho just because he's right footed so can go outside and go Sterling running on or Kane and Henderson attacking from deep.
Sitting in, play on the counter. We don't have a central playmaker to rival a Kroos or Modric so use the pace up top. Saka for Sancho would be the only decision to make really.

I will absolutely be watching this game, but I can't honestly say I'm looking forward to it, nor am I excited, I think apprehensive best describes my mood currently. Maybe if we play as I hope we can then I'll still believe............cue song.

Southgate will go defensive and either play 5 at the back or two holding midfielders. I’m not saying we should be totally reckless but I’d like to see us attack as we can hurt the Germans. Unleash Saka and Grealish! Please not another boring display with us being terrified of losing the ball. Germany aren’t ‘96 vintage, we can beat them!

I've been in bits about this since the end of the last game.
Then the pens tonight, with two teams I don't care about, nearly ended me.

For me it's
Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Tripper (league winning full backs from England and Spain, got the experience and personality for it).
Rice
Henderson Phillips. Again, experience. Henderson can go box to box and grab the game with more decisive passing, Rice to hold. Phillips deep, playing the long passes.
Sancho, Kane, Sterling.

Gone for pace up top. If Germany play a back 3 Kane can drop into the space at the top of a diamond and make one of the centre backs either pull onto him, leaving Sancho and Sterling 1 v 1 or Kane has space to pick them out like at Spurs. If Germany go 433 we can match them if we need to.
Went Sancho just because he's right footed so can go outside and go Sterling running on or Kane and Henderson attacking from deep.
Sitting in, play on the counter. We don't have a central playmaker to rival a Kroos or Modric so use the pace up top. Saka for Sancho would be the only decision to make really.

Phillips, Rice and Henderson???? Surely the aim is to win this game not eke out a draw. Henderson has never played box to box or in an attacking role from deep for England.

Sounds like it will be 3-4-3 with Saka and Sterling up top with Kane, no Foden, Mount or Grealish. I dont this is too bad as the germans are susceptible to pace but equally their wing backs have been their best players.

Sounds like it will be 3-4-3 with Saka and Sterling up top with Kane, no Foden, Mount or Grealish. I dont this is too bad as the germans are susceptible to pace but equally their wing backs have been their best players.
I've heard this too. Not a big fan of the line-up, especially Walker at right centre-back but like you say, I think the plan is to try to exploit the Germans' lack of pace at the back. The one big plus in this tournament is the option of five subs so there are plenty of plan Bs.

Can’t see us winning withthat sort of line-up and with no creativity in the side. Leaves Saka, Sterling and Kane having to drop deep to get hold of the ball. We should take the game to them and let them worry about us, not play like an away side.

Seems the Germans are pleased with the Dutch ref.
According to them,the ref does not like hardish football and is quick with yellow cards.
So if true and things are not going well for the Germans,expect some play acting

I suppose you could say weve barely created many decent chances and only scored two goals with the likes of Mount, Foden and Grealish in the team, so why not change it. I guess Kane will drop deep and the other two run beyond the back line, he can pick a pass as good as any of our midfielders.

Southgate always worries about the opposition to much, rather than let them be worried about us. I guess it will be another snooze fest.

Not long now, if we can win this, we have a great chance of reaching the final.......

Don't you just bloody hate football with all the nerves that go with it :Scared:

Seems the Germans are pleased with the Dutch ref.
According to them,the ref does not like hardish football and is quick with yellow cards.
So if true and things are not going well for the Germans,expect some play acting

You get that anyway and with most teams.

Not able to watch this live as the mother-in-law is with us (talks through anything on tv then wonders why she doesn't know whats going on) and the kids (Almost 3 and 1) don't let me watch TV for more than 10 minutes without wanting to watch Bing or Teletubbies.

I'm going to have to try and avoid all forms of TV / Radio and the zone, hope no neighbours cheer if England score / win etc and then watch it on catch up at around 20:30 once the Mother-in-law has gone and the kids are in bed.

I'm hoping for some decent entertainment after seeing some of the other games in this round, but England and entertainment don't normally get mentioned in the same sentence

Back