• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

top shirmper

Schoolboy
Kane Ferdinand will NOT sign a contract with Southend and will join Burnley.

You heard it here first.

A list of potential clubs including Nottingham Forest, Leicester, Southampton and even Wigan are all looking at Ferdinand so the destination may not be correctly predicted.

But the fact he will not sign a pro deal is FACT.

Watch this space.

As I alluded to last week.

His agent is probably playing hard ball and using the interested parties as a stick to demand more money for his client.

Probably meaning we will lose him, as we cannot afford the wage demands.

Last edited:
This does not surprise me in the least....another club was bound to outbid us in the wages stakes and we all know what agents are like.

Will we still get a fee as he has been a product of our youth system?

Will we still get a fee as he has been a product of our youth system?

Depends what the terms of his contract are as I think he's on a "developmental contract". Usually, as he's under 24, we'd be due a fee that is either agreed mutually or settled by a tribunal. I'm not sure what terms and conditions are attached to the developmental contracts to be honest.

In this situation I would have thought the player might consider doing some kind of deal with the club to sign and then be allowed to leave once one of the bigger clubs stumps up a suitable fee. I know it's not in the players best interest if they have the opportunity to move on to bigger and better things but surely they owe something to the club that nurtured them?

Indeed we should get a fee determined by tribunal- normally an upfront with addons. However, he might wish to ignore his agent (if indeed he is recommending a move in the first place) and consider that playing week in week out in competitive games for a couple of years will be better development than joining the likes of Moussa and O'Keefe in very reserve teams playing in front of absolutely no-one.

It would be a shame but thats life. We lost a lot of decent players in the summer and I am sure we will again in time.

Hope he signs but at the end of the day we didnt even have him as a first team until the 1st of Jan so if we loose him for nothing at the end of the season then nothing really lost.

Sky Sports earlier in the month

Ferdinand's agent Matthew Southall said: "Kane has done very well over the last few weeks. He has shown his versatility and maturity and settled into the team well.

"There have been one or two enquiries which I expected but, at the moment, he is a Southend United player and is happy to be playing regularly and hopefully we can sort his contract out over the coming weeks."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11706_6742347,00.html

Indeed we should get a fee determined by tribunal- normally an upfront with addons. However, he might wish to ignore his agent (if indeed he is recommending a move in the first place) and consider that playing week in week out in competitive games for a couple of years will be better development than joining the likes of Moussa and O'Keefe in very reserve teams playing in front of absolutely no-one.

Couldnt agree more. Thing is with these young lads. Their heads get easily turned.
If he stayed at Southend for the next 2 years and carries on playing aswell as he has been then he could easily, in my opinion, go and play week in week out and championship level by time he is 21.

In this situation I would have thought the player might consider doing some kind of deal with the club to sign and then be allowed to leave once one of the bigger clubs stumps up a suitable fee. I know it's not in the players best interest if they have the opportunity to move on to bigger and better things but surely they owe something to the club that nurtured them?

Seriously guys?

No way - he's at a club that currently can't afford a pot to **** in, he's playing football with players who still haven't been paid this year - you really think that he wants to sign a contract that would keep him here?

Not in a million months of Sunday's - decent team elsewhere on good money and he will go without even saying bye bye!

I do believe we may get a fee via a tribunial as he is under 24 and a product of our academy though.

He was due to sign a contract today. If he was to leave it would be disappointing, everyone likes to see a youngster come through the ranks. But that's modern day football I'm afraid, anyone showing even a sniff of potential gets hoovered up by bigger clubs immediately. He'll most likely languish in their reserves, then get released in two years and join Hayes & Yeading.

Edit: Make that yesterday. I had forgotton it wasn't Tuesday. So with no news on the OS, I assume all hasn't gone to plan and he is indeed off.

Last edited:
Too true with the youngsters....Stuart O'Keefe a prime example, never got a game here, got too big for his boots and opted to rot at Crystal Palace. He could have seized the opportunity to establish himself here this season and work his way into the first team.

I heard that there was a few scouts there last night in addition to Tilly & Brush (Assume as Lincoln play Barnet Saturday).

Without knowing the extent of Kane's injury, I Wonder if Sturrock is batting clever and allowing Ferdinand's ankle injury to fully heal whilst he waits for the contract to get signed. Just my opinion, but I reckon had Ferdinand already been signed up or if he was not being watched, then Sturrock may have been tempted to patch up Ferdinand and send him out to play.

Disappointing turn of events. If he does leave maybe we need a re-think about these developmental contracts. It's great that they allow us to keep players who might otherwise have been released but in years past Kane may have been offered a Pro deal before he'd even made his debut.

All very well in hindsight I suppose....

Yes as you say no supriprise, and as we feared.
Hence the reason we chose not to broadcast the contract talks meeting that were due to happen on Tuesday.

I also know of at least one London premier team scout who went to watch him at Torquay.

It would seem that our club has to make up their minds about our youths and secure threir services earlier. Otherwise all the effort put in by Ricky Duncan and co may be in vain, as we watch them being snapped up by the the bigger clubs.

Having international recognition aswell playing for Ireland under 19s doesnt help our cause.

Clubs will take a gamble on him as

1) He is playing regular first team football aged 18
2) He is playing like a seasoned pro. So comfortable and mature
3) He is playing for Ireland U19s ahead of some players who play for Acadmey clubs
4) He is versatile and can play holding midfield, centre back or right back.
5) He will cost peanuts.

Back