• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Preston - An overview

Southendsleeper

Manager
Very good game 0-0 doesnt tell the whole story

Man of the match for me - Gower, tireless, sliding tackles, tracking back, great crosses. Ran from the opposition box, past a still Guttridge to get back and defend

Minutes silence observed well

Possible beam back of the Col U game mentioned

Daryl was great, as was Sodje, his face to face with Dichio had the crowd roaring. Constantly headed the ball, and had 3 chances to score.

Freddie had his chances, played well, could have scored

That chance that fell to Harrold, but he just couldnt control it, after a snap shot from Freddie

Gutts seemed to drift in and out of the game, drawing fouls from the opposition, but that backheel just outside the box showed how he was a bit rusty.

A promising performance.

Wasn't there of course, but sounded like we dominated. Can't argue 0-0 vs one of the top teams in the league. The fight back starts here!

The last time we had succesive clean sheets was Bristol City last match of last season and then Stoke first match of this. I know we have dropped further behind today, but that has to be very encouraging. Particularly when you realise that we were missing Maher, Bradbury, Barrett (who will have to earn his place back now, surely) Hooper and Paynter today.

A game of two halves. Poor in the first with a couple of brief flashes but much better in the second. It doesn't matter if we slipped further back. The rot has stopped, the run has started and we look much better defensively without AB.

Clarke had a great game and Lukey G got better as the game went on. All very encouraging.

One worrying moment when Freddy went down. We can do without an injury to him as we could do with the money in January.

Southend Collegians Vets Manager???

Clarkey, Fountain, Mallon?

I'll be seeing you tomorrow......

You will notice my by the trail of dodgy offsides.....

I thought Clarke had improved, but I still think he is the weak link..

Get's too far forward, leaving big holes behind him, plus I feel his distribution is **** poor...

But, that's my opinion....obviously others have differing views of the lad.

I thought Clarke was fairly poor today but at least he managed to get stuck in and break up play a bit. His touch was terrible and his distribution let him down too. Still, I think the more he plays there the better he will get. I'm also convinced that he has a hammer shot on him but he just couldn't quite get it away today!

Not sure McCormack is the answer myself. Don't remember him being the most elegant of players or the most creative. He bloody loved a good tackle though (wahey!).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Nov. 11 2006,17:52)]A game of two halves. Poor in the first with a couple of brief flashes but much better in the second. It doesn't matter if we slipped further back. The rot has stopped, the run has started and we look much better defensively without AB.

Clarke had a great game and Lukey G got better as the game went on. All very encouraging.
Completely agree. We can't worry about other teams results. Technically we'd have been better off with us, Hull and Leeds all losing, but I'd sooner take what actually happened. There were some very positive signs today. We matched a good Preston side, we looked solid at the back and were it not for a clearance off the line or the width of the crossbar we'd have won.

How good was Eastwood's shot in the first half, by the way? Crikey. Thats three times we've hit the bar in two league games.

I thought Clarke was fairly poor today but at least he managed to get stuck in and break up play a bit. His touch was terrible and his distribution let him down too. Still, I think the more he plays there the better he will get. I'm also convinced that he has a hammer shot on him but he just couldn't quite get it away today!

Not sure McCormack is the answer myself. Don't remember him being the most elegant of players or the most creative. He bloody loved a good tackle though (wahey!).

I'm sure I said it more explicitly and it may have taken a deflection but I'm claiming this foresight!

:D

Last edited:

Ah ... but you let yourself down badly here :p :p

Yes, it is quite an old thread. It's revived by posting, it brings it to the top of the list Ell. Is that what you were asking?

Quote from sufcintheprem from this thread last season regarding Peter Clarke:

"I'm also convinced that he has a hammer shot on him but he just couldn't quite get it away today!"

As Clarke scored a rocket 30 yarder against Orient on Saturday, this old thread was dragged up so he could boast that he knew this would happen at some stage..It's called Bragging :D :D

How dare you! I was just doing my regular audit of old threads and chanced upon it.

Definitely didn't spend looker for another thread where I'm sure I said it in more definitive terms....

:D

Back