• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Preston North End 0, Southend United 0

Don't like talking about the team next in the cup ........... when we haven't got through the 1st round yet. Seems a little disrespectful to the opposition ......... but yes, were we to get past Preston, then Oldham will be another chance to judge the team against another decent 3rd division team.

I've just seen on BP, Luggy's comments concerning the Preston game. The question I want to ask is who gave him permission to change his winning suit, i thought that he was going to leave it on for matches until we lose. Tempting fate, if you ask me!

I thought we played pretty well in the second half, after what I can only describe as a nervous first half.

Even though Preston are a division higher than us they really didn't look to have that much about them and it shows how far we have come when we are almost disappointed with a draw away from home.

So that's 13 games unbeaten now, but when I looked at the team yesterday I still can't help think that something is still missing up front!! No, i'm not joking!! Yes I am fully aware that some flack will come my way, but I do have a genuine concern despite our stunning run of form.

Yes, we have been scoring goals as a team and they have been spread out throughout the side, which has of course has its benefits, but I have always thought that in the lower leagues you need an out and out goal scorer in your team and we simply don't have one.

We are relying a lot on the midfield to score goals, as players like Dicko are never going to score you 20 goals in a season. In fact at times he doesn't look like a goal threat at all. Yesterday he looked even more isolated than he usually does and didn't cause Preston any problems at all. I don't remember him having a sniff. Neil Harris will score a few here and there (when he plays!) and we know the limits of Blair Sturrock! Barry Corr is due back soon, but even with his 20 goals last season I honestly don't think he strikes fear into any opposition defence.

Oh my god, I sound like one of those moaning fans who is never happy, but I am not, it is just an observation. The team are doing so so well, but there is no harm in looking to improve certain areas and up front we are not exactly blessed. We might get away with it this season but if we do go up then we are likely to struggle without a prolific goal scorer.

Having said all of this, goal scorers don't come cheap, do they!!

- G.

I think you are spot on about the forwards we have..Yorkshire Blue will say but they make space for the midfield to score goals..Although he will have a point in some circumstances I disagree with this as like you I think our forwards offer very little ATM..Harris IMO is well past his sell by date and is not the fox in the box we expected and Dickinson for all his efforts is no goal scorer and waddles about like a lost duck.We are lucky to have so many others that score goals but our forwards/strike force are pretty ineffective.

Not sure I would be quite so pointed Cricko, but in overall terms I agree with you and with Secondalibi - my first priority (were I to be manager) would be to sign up another striker ....... with the possibility that some of the current staff will be released.

Teams will get more and more players behind the ball as the season continues ...... and with poor weather and the possibility of poor pitches, it is easily possible to suddenly hit a spell when the goals (and the points) are much more harder to come by.

Happy with Harris, not concerned about Dicko - but no sign of Crawford or Asante, Sturrock is not a great scorer and Corr yet to play at all - leaves only Hall and Jesus as stand in forwards. Not nearly enough depth for me ........

Interesting game and yard stick for us. certainly first half we stood off them and must thank Daniels for being goalless at half time. Second half we edged without creating clear cut opportunities, but you could see if they were got at why they have crumbled lately and lost the knack of winning.

Daniels 8 - MOTM again, another quality display
Clohessey 7 - Got forward well in the second half
Phillips 6.5 - Got knocked off the ball far too easily by their no.11 forward
Barker 7 - OK, a bit sturdier than Phillips
Gilbert 6- Goes to sleep at times, misplaced back pass case in point
Leonard 7 - Worked hard, put himself about
Kalala 5.5 - Very quiet, could not contain their midfield pouring forward in first half like normal
Ferdinand 6 - Also looked a little lost
Timlin 7 - Busy as ever, both out wide and centrally in second half
Hall 7 - Popped up along the front line and scared them with his tricks
Dickinson 6 - Ran and worked but nothing really came off for him

Mohsni 6.5 - Added to solidity in second half, but tries to tackle our own players to get the ball, put us in trouble once.

In the end a good result, would have taken it at the start. However after riding our luck in first half felt a bit more pressure we may have nicked it.

I thought we played pretty well in the second half, after what I can only describe as a nervous first half.

Even though Preston are a division higher than us they really didn't look to have that much about them and it shows how far we have come when we are almost disappointed with a draw away from home.

So that's 13 games unbeaten now, but when I looked at the team yesterday I still can't help think that something is still missing up front!! No, i'm not joking!! Yes I am fully aware that some flack will come my way, but I do have a genuine concern despite our stunning run of form.

Yes, we have been scoring goals as a team and they have been spread out throughout the side, which has of course has its benefits, but I have always thought that in the lower leagues you need an out and out goal scorer in your team and we simply don't have one.

We are relying a lot on the midfield to score goals, as players like Dicko are never going to score you 20 goals in a season. In fact at times he doesn't look like a goal threat at all. Yesterday he looked even more isolated than he usually does and didn't cause Preston any problems at all. I don't remember him having a sniff. Neil Harris will score a few here and there (when he plays!) and we know the limits of Blair Sturrock! Barry Corr is due back soon, but even with his 20 goals last season I honestly don't think he strikes fear into any opposition defence.

Oh my god, I sound like one of those moaning fans who is never happy, but I am not, it is just an observation. The team are doing so so well, but there is no harm in looking to improve certain areas and up front we are not exactly blessed. We might get away with it this season but if we do go up then we are likely to struggle without a prolific goal scorer.

Having said all of this, goal scorers don't come cheap, do they!!

- G.

I hear what you say, but have a look at Luggy's record-beating Plymouth side from 10 years ago, League 2 champions, 102 points, top goalscorer for the season - Graham Coughlan, 11 goals from Centre Back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001%E2%80%9302_Plymouth_Argyle_F.C._season

Luggy's done it before without stellar strikers, and I think he can do it again - top scorers this season - Hall, Mohsni and Phillips!

Interesting bit of history Shrimpergarry. :Worthy:

I don't hold with the theory that you need a 20+ goal scorer to get promoted (but it helps!) ..... and would prefer to have a couple of strikers getting a dozen or so with the rest of the goals spread around the team. To me this gives more strength in depth and greater resilience to injury, suspension and even reduces the threat of your best goal scorer being sold.

And arguably gives the manager more scope to change tactics and the team for each game.

Having said all that, we should always be looking to continually improve the team and therefore I still think there needs to be a change amongst the striking force ..........
:thanks:

Daniels: We are going places

GOALKEEPER Luke Daniels feels Southend United’s 0-0 draw at Preston North End shows they have what it takes to mix it at League One level.

More...

Just read the match report on the Preston site haven't had such a good laugh for ages :hilarious:

Back