• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
So, is this happening because it's easier to sell to a player the idea of a switch to a club where he has already been as opposed to somewhere completely new?

Thoughts?

I'd suggest it probably comes from a lack of player knowledge for the lower leagues so people just make links between the club and players they've actually heard of

The ex-players issue is a little harshly treated in my opinion. The length of contracts a couple got was questionable but likely necessary to tempt them but there was some bad luck too. A couple of the players that tainted the view were not returners anyway. Dougie Freedman was a good player but injury ravaged his time with us. Those injuries don't get any easier as you get older. Neil Harris came in and to be honest, beyond injury, I rarely saw the game played in a manner that suited his style.

Freddy Eastwood had shown some retained ability, but again, injury ( including a historic one) was just too much for him. Like Harris, the games were not played with his merits in mind. Then Lee Barnard. Not given enough opportunity or played to in the manner he would like but also failed to impress with the game time he received.

These four players arrived/returned too late in their respective careers. They could have paid off but didn't. It was their profile that made the criticism harsher. We have had an awful lot of young/younger players who have failed to impress. Andy Edwards did ok coming back and Spencer Prior gave his all. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.

I am sure resigning Billy Best he could still get us 20 goals this season .:smile:

Given the number of league clubs there are and the number of clubs players play for, add in factors like location and it actually becomes likely even if we were picking random players out of a hat that we would come across a reasonable % of ex-players.

Who have we had over the past ten or so years?

Under Brown: Barnard, Barrett, Moussa, White, Sokolik, O'Neill, Loza, McLaughlin, Pigott, Kamara was youth here
Under Sturrock: Eastwood, Sawyer, Timlin, Baldwin, Belford
Under Tilson: McCormack, Edwards, Prior, Harrold came through the youth system here, Grant, Robson-Kanu, Francois-Christophe, Sawyer

Given that and the number of ex-players we've been linked to it's clearly happened more under Brown given the number of signings Sturrock had to made and the length of time Tilson was here.

Under Brown: Barnard, Barrett, Moussa, White, Sokolik, O'Neill, Loza, McLaughlin, Pigott, Kamara was youth here
Under Tilson: McCormack, Edwards, Prior, Harrold came through the youth system here, Grant, Robson-Kanu, Francois-Christophe, Sawyer

Given that and the number of ex-players we've been linked to it's clearly happened more under Brown given the number of signings Sturrock had to made and the length of time Tilson was here.

I reckon Bob Shaw has been away on a jolly the past couple of years, now Browny has asked him for his reports and in sheer panic Bob Shaw has given him some scouting reports from years gone by, hence the likes of Watt, Grant, Robinson, Sokolik etc etc :winking:

Before some wally pipes up - I am joking by the way :raspberry:

Since 2006, we've bought or loaned the following:

06/07
Richie Foran
Peter Clarke
Simon Francis
Lloyd Sam
Stevie Hammell
Franck Moussa
Arnau Riera
Matt Harrold
Steve Collis
Michael Ricketts
Gary Hooper
Billy Paynter

08/09
Nicky Bailey
Alex Revell
Garry Richards
James Walker
Tommy Black
Clark Masters
Eric Odhiambo
Hal Robson-Kanu
Peggy Lokandor
Charlie Mulgrew
Leon Clarke
Dean Morgan
Charlie MacDonald
Lee Barnard
Anthony Grant
Kerrea Gilbert
Damian Scannell
Zoltán Lipták

09/10
Pat Baldwin
John White
Scott Vernon
Sanchez Watt
Matt Heath
Lee Sawyer
Roy O'Donovan
Matt Paterson
Sean Morrison
Jean-Yves M'voto
Scott Spencer
Jabo Ibehre
Kelvin Jack

10/11
Blair Sturrock
Mark Phillips
Ryan Hall
Adam Bouzid
Rhys Evans
Nathaniel Jarvis
Antonio German
Louie Soares
Sean Clohessy
Craig Easton
Josh Simpson
Michael Timlin
Barry Corr
Jack Midson
Bilel Mohsni
Chris Barker
Graham Coughlan
Waide Fairhurst
Miguel Comminges
Peter Gilbert
Kane Ferdinand
Sofiane Zaaboub
Harry Crawford
Luke Prosser

11/12
Jemal Johnson
Lee Hills
Jack Sampson
Liam Dickinson
Alassane N'Diaye
Pat Baldwin
Neil Harris
Ryan Leonard
Cameron Belford
Luke Daniels
Anthony Flood
Jean-Paul Kalala
Dave Martin
Elliot Benyon
Christian Dailly

12/13
Ryan Cresswell
Caolan Lavery
Matthew Lund
John Spicer
Anthony Straker
Michael Spillane
Danny Mayor
Britt Assombalonga
Jonson Clarke-Harris
Kevan Hurst
Scott Donnelly
Marc Laird
Gavin Tomlin
Ben Reeves
Paul Smith
Tamika Mkandawire

13/14
Don Cowan
John Egan
Craig Reid
Jacob Murphy
Rob Kiernan
Will Atkinson
Luke O'Neill
Cian Bolger
Conor Clifford
Jamar Loza
Cauley Woodrow
Julian Bennett
Jakub Sokolik
Adam Thompson
Bedsenté Gomis
Ben Coker

14/15
Jerome Binnom-Williams
John-Joe O'Toole
Shaq Coulthirst
Stephen McLaughlin
Elliot Lee
Myles Westonr
Joe Pigott
David Worrall
Gary Deegan
Jake Cassidy
Isaac Layne
Mads Ibenfeldt

and this season's signings

I havent included those who have graduated from the youth team, nor those who have had 2 spells but you can work those out.

So, is this happening because it's easier to sell to a player the idea of a switch to a club where he has already been as opposed to somewhere completely new?

Thoughts?

I kind off get it . If I have 10 CV's in front of me the first thing I do is ask my team if they know any of the candidates. Likewise is Brown has got a list of x hundred players our there without a club then its a simple way of narrowing things down. Anyone can look at a scouting report, but it doesn't tell you (I'm Guesing) if the guy is a prize plum, upsets people, unljkely to want to move to the area etc .

The bit I don't get is when we look at players that I didn't necessarliy rate the first time around and who have done nothing special since leaving us - (yes Sanchez Watt I am looking at you)

I kind off get it . If I have 10 CV's in front of me the first thing I do is ask my team if they know any of the candidates. Likewise is Brown has got a list of x hundred players our there without a club then its a simple way of narrowing things down. Anyone can look at a scouting report, but it doesn't tell you (I'm Guesing) if the guy is a prize plum, upsets people, unljkely to want to move to the area etc .

The bit I don't get is when we look at players that I didn't necessarliy rate the first time around and who have done nothing special since leaving us - (yes Sanchez Watt I am looking at you)

And who did absolutely nothing special when they were here either!

Since 2006, we've bought or loaned the following:

06/07
Richie Foran
Peter Clarke
Simon Francis
Lloyd Sam
Stevie Hammell
Franck Moussa
Arnau Riera
Matt Harrold
Steve Collis
Michael Ricketts
Gary Hooper
Billy Paynter

08/09
Nicky Bailey
Alex Revell
Garry Richards
James Walker
Tommy Black
Clark Masters
Eric Odhiambo
Hal Robson-Kanu
Peggy Lokandor
Charlie Mulgrew
Leon Clarke
Dean Morgan
Charlie MacDonald
Lee Barnard
Anthony Grant
Kerrea Gilbert
Damian Scannell
Zoltán Lipták

09/10
Pat Baldwin
John White
Scott Vernon
Sanchez Watt
Matt Heath
Lee Sawyer
Roy O'Donovan
Matt Paterson
Sean Morrison
Jean-Yves M'voto
Scott Spencer
Jabo Ibehre
Kelvin Jack

10/11
Blair Sturrock
Mark Phillips
Ryan Hall
Adam Bouzid
Rhys Evans
Nathaniel Jarvis
Antonio German
Louie Soares
Sean Clohessy
Craig Easton
Josh Simpson
Michael Timlin
Barry Corr
Jack Midson
Bilel Mohsni
Chris Barker
Graham Coughlan
Waide Fairhurst
Miguel Comminges
Peter Gilbert
Kane Ferdinand
Sofiane Zaaboub
Harry Crawford
Luke Prosser

11/12
Jemal Johnson
Lee Hills
Jack Sampson
Liam Dickinson
Alassane N'Diaye
Pat Baldwin
Neil Harris
Ryan Leonard
Cameron Belford
Luke Daniels
Anthony Flood
Jean-Paul Kalala
Dave Martin
Elliot Benyon
Christian Dailly

12/13
Ryan Cresswell
Caolan Lavery
Matthew Lund
John Spicer
Anthony Straker
Michael Spillane
Danny Mayor
Britt Assombalonga
Jonson Clarke-Harris
Kevan Hurst
Scott Donnelly
Marc Laird
Gavin Tomlin
Ben Reeves
Paul Smith
Tamika Mkandawire

13/14
Don Cowan
John Egan
Craig Reid
Jacob Murphy
Rob Kiernan
Will Atkinson
Luke O'Neill
Cian Bolger
Conor Clifford
Jamar Loza
Cauley Woodrow
Julian Bennett
Jakub Sokolik
Adam Thompson
Bedsenté Gomis
Ben Coker

14/15
Jerome Binnom-Williams
John-Joe O'Toole
Shaq Coulthirst
Stephen McLaughlin
Elliot Lee
Myles Westonr
Joe Pigott
David Worrall
Gary Deegan
Jake Cassidy
Isaac Layne
Mads Ibenfeldt

and this season's signings

I havent included those who have graduated from the youth team, nor those who have had 2 spells but you can work those out.

Bloody hell, some terrible players in this list!

Under Tilson: McCormack, Edwards, Prior, Harrold came through the youth system here, Grant, Robson-Kanu, Francois-Christophe, Sawye

Daryll was also a resigning

Back